Pond renovation help/advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pond renovation help/advice

I just bought some property with a pond that is roughly 175' x 65'. It was dug in the 1970's and recently flooded in Hurricane Harvey. It has become covered in Giant Salvinia since the flood. My end goal is to have something nice to look at with some perch and bass for the kids. I have researched pond rebuilds so I'm not completely clueless, just want to run my plan by yall to make sure I am not making any obvious mistakes.

I want to drain it myself and see what I'm dealing with. Then hire a dozer guy who is familiar with pond building to clean out the muck and make it deeper. Question 1) should I get a trash pump to drain, or will a PVC siphon be ok? There is plenty of room/elevation to siphon. I'm just not sure how bad the salvinia will be for clogging with either option? Question 2) can yall recommend anyone in the Houston area to do the cleanout? I would like to go deeper, but not make the pond any larger overall.

Once it is cleaned out I will place some structure in there and wait for it to refill. Then start the stocking process. I'm trying to do this in the most affordable way possible. Any advice or recommendations is much appreciated.
    Attached Files

no help but would like to follow the thread...

Comment

Tagged.

Comment

Just my personal opinion, but I think you need to kill that stupid giant salvinia first. It will probably clog up a PVC pump pretty quickly, so I would go for the larger pump/filter. In for your progress, and good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by 45 ACP View Post
          I just bought some property with a pond that is roughly 175' x 65'. It was dug in the 1970's and recently flooded in Hurricane Harvey. It has become covered in Giant Salvinia since the flood. My end goal is to have something nice to look at with some perch and bass for the kids. I have researched pond rebuilds so I'm not completely clueless, just want to run my plan by yall to make sure I am not making any obvious mistakes.

I want to drain it myself and see what I'm dealing with. Then hire a dozer guy who is familiar with pond building to clean out the muck and make it deeper. Question 1) should I get a trash pump to drain, or will a PVC siphon be ok? There is plenty of room/elevation to siphon. I'm just not sure how bad the salvinia will be for clogging with either option? Question 2) can yall recommend anyone in the Houston area to do the cleanout? I would like to go deeper, but not make the pond any larger overall.

Once it is cleaned out I will place some structure in there and wait for it to refill. Then start the stocking process. I'm trying to do this in the most affordable way possible. Any advice or recommendations is much appreciated.

Call Ultimatic feeders in hockley. They have a pond service and the guy is great. I’ve used him twice. I had one pond I thought was beyond repair.

(713) 694-7552

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Geez, can you hay it? Lol, following

Comment

DON"T use Copper sulfate................
              It is a heavy metal...........
              Once it's introduced, it never goes away. (I wouldn't eat a fish from any pond)
              that uses C.S..........
              Google "Shore Clear" this company is 100% organic......
              I used their methods.... here's my pond.......
              Right now, I'd put 50lbs of Corn Gluten meal. Broadcast with a coffee can...
              As far out into the pond, as you can.....
              Organic, takes time.. But I think it's worth it.......
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0277.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	24640331

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0201.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	24640332

Comment

There is a company in Huntsville that has a machine that cleans out the salvinia. I will attempt to look up their information.

Comment

Maybe you could clear out a pumping spot on the corner, and use a trash pump. Maybe drive some posts, and tie up some cattle panel that might hold the weeds back from getting sucked in. I don't know, I have never messed with salvinia before.

Comment

I know this isn't a legit solution but fun to try maybe, catch some carp and throw in there, when you get tired of them just shot them.

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
                      DON"T use Copper sulfate................
                      It is a heavy metal...........
                      Once it's introduced, it never goes away. (I wouldn't eat a fish from any pond)
                      that uses C.S..........
                      Google "Shore Clear" this company is 100% organic......
                      I used their methods.... here's my pond.......
                      Right now, I'd put 50lbs of Corn Gluten meal. Broadcast with a coffee can...
                      As far out into the pond, as you can.....
                      Organic, takes time.. But I think it's worth it.......
                      [ATTACH]1035071[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1035072[/ATTACH]
                      Beautiful Pond! What does the corn gluten meal do?

Comment

Do you have somewhere to put all the muck that comes out of the pond?

Comment

Gaint salvinia is no joke major problem whatever you do not let it in any other water it spreads fast.

Comment

No help but IN for the knowledge. Other than that pond, that’s a beautiful place you have OP.

And Sailer....good Lord that pond is awesome.

Comment

Throw some salvania weevils in there.

Comment

Working...
                              X