sharpening grinder plate and knives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sharpening grinder plate and knives?

anyone sharpen their own plates and grinder knives ?

my dad does. he uses a bench grinder with a stone.

Comment

Never hear of anybody sharpening the plates...just the knife.

Comment

Although I have not done it myself, a reputable source at work was just telling me today that to sharpen them, he uses a piece of glass, places a piece of 6000 grit sandpaper on it and swirls the blade in the same motion it makes while it is on the grinder. He said he also does the same to the plate

Comment

I guess I should ask if anyone has a plate trued and a knife sharpened? I was on youtube and saw a guy using emory paper to true and sharpen the knife and plate,i was wondering if it could be done on a belt sander turned upside down since it has a steel plate on the bottom?

Comment

Take your blades,plates & stud (auger if you can't remove the stud) to a machine shop & have'm all trued. After that keep each plate matched to a blade and wear together as a set & you shouldn't need to sharpen.
            Last edited by RodinaRanč; 12-08-2015, 06:50 PM.

Comment

sounds like a plan,i had some plates and knives I got with a motorized choprite and I saw some that had wear on the mating surface so I was just looking for options I have about 5 plates and 5 knives, I called a place in san Antonio rodriguez butcher supply and they said they have a sharpening service for 5.00 a side on the plates and 5 dollars a knife. homebutcher.com

Comment

Originally posted by JWW View Post
                Although I have not done it myself, a reputable source at work was just telling me today that to sharpen them, he uses a piece of glass, places a piece of 6000 grit sandpaper on it and swirls the blade in the same motion it makes while it is on the grinder. He said he also does the same to the plate
                This is similar to what I do. I use 600 wet or dry and then 1500 on a surface plate. A thick piece of plate glass works also. Then I use red rouge on a piece of paper to finish. Makes a big difference in the quality of the grind if the cutting edges are tuned up.

Comment

how long do u do this for ? do you just check on the surface for mating with the blade before going on the the next grit

Comment

Takes maybe 15 minutes max. I touch mine up after each use to keep them in good shape. From your description it sounds like you have some significant wear on your plates and knives. My method is not going to remove significant craters in any reasonable amount of time. If this is the case $5 per piece to sharpen is probably a good deal. They are probably putting them on a surface grinder. Using a belt sander will not work. It will cut more on the edges than the center and put a crown on the plate. Choprite plates and knives are expensive so better to salvage them than replace. If you want new plates and knives might talk with Allied Kenco in Houston. They sell both Choprite and after market grinders and parts. For making sausage and ground meat I only use two plates.

Comment

I've been looking and some of the plates are no name and some a forschner does allied sell forschner plates and knives

Comment

Don't know. Give them a call. They know their stuff and are helpful.

Comment

I will do that thanx for the imput,

Comment

Another fine flat honing stone, oil and make circles.

Comment

Find a machine shop with a Lapping Machine, it does wonders...

Comment

Working...
                              X