Ranch Cabin Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wlee15 View Post
    We made it with 2X6X16 white Pine lumber. it is only 11' long but had to use 16' because all the 12's that Lowes had were crap. It was pretty simple to make. I bought bunk bed hooks off amazon ( https://www.amazon.com/Eforlike-Insi...4777916&sr=8-8 ) to secure it to the wall when it is both upright and extended.
    Cool, thanks

I'll have storage space above the bathroom in my shop Id like to utilize and dont want to take the space up with stairs

Comment

I am in on this! Very nice work. Love that it is steel framed.

Comment

Efficient, and awesome!

Comment

Nice view

Comment

Great looking build!

Comment

Sunday I went out to the ranch to fix the water issues in the bathroom. When I first setup the bathroom I put it together quickly and used 3/8" rubber hoses inside the bathroom from the pump to the fixtures. Since I had to fix the toilet and the shower I thought I would do it right this time. I bought 1/2" PEX pipe and all the connectors needed for it. I removed all the old tubing and replaced it with PEX. I also replaced the water pump, the toilet valve and the shower. I ordered a larger water pump and shower so I could get better water pressure. Since I have a water well scheduled to installed later this month to early next month I am not so much worried about how much water is used as I was before.

The new Shower was larger in physical size so that was a little challenging but it went in fine. Everything works soooo much better with the new larger diameter piping and better pump. also the pump is a lot more quite than the other one.

My daughter and her friends were coming up Sunday evening to spend a few days for spring break so in my haste I didn't get any pictures of the bathroom remodel. I will get those posted next time I go out.

Sunday evening my daughter showed up about 30 minutes after I completed the bathroom. Since this was her first time coming to the ranch (her boyfriend has been out before) I told them I would stay Sunday night with them. I showed them the ropes and we had a nice dinner. The Stars were very bright and she got to experience what a real starry night is like.

On Monday morning she made breakfast (pic 1) and then they all had fun riding around on the toys at the ranch, and shooting cans with BB guns. (pics 2-6)

I left Monday afternoon and she stayed until Tuesday night. She enjoyed t very much so I think she will be wanted to go out more often.

Thanks for all the previous comments. I am very near the finish line on the cabin. Next step is fencing in the entire property and building the garage for the Can-AM and Grizzly so I can begin the Saloon project.
              Attached Files

Comment

You inspired me over the last few weeks to build an "outhouse" out of steel.
                Very crude but it'll work.
                Welding has been fun and the steel holds together great!

I'm thinking of dragging it out there this weekend.

Comment

Living OFF the GRID! That's some skill you have my friend to build a place like that! Awesome job!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=joel1618;15533504]You inspired me over the last few weeks to build an "outhouse" out of steel.
                    Very crude but it'll work.
                    Welding has been fun and the steel holds together great!

I'm thinking of dragging it out there this weekend.

That is great! Just need to cut in a half moon on the door for the old timer look!

The steel will stay forever, only thing that would need to be replaced is the sides every 7 years or so!

Comment

That will have a great view once completed!

Comment

The Water well drilling has Begun!! Last Friday 3/26/21 the water well drilling company came out to begin drilling. They were able to get down 420' that day. The planned depth will be 425'. We are going with a Solar water well pump then collecting that into a 3000 gal tank. From there we will have 2" poly going to 3 destinations. Cost for the well and pump will be $21K. I am sharing the well with my neighbor. The well itself is on my property, but next to easement between us. It is high enough to get good pressure to his cabin and mine. The plan is to have one 2" going from each cabin to the tank and a 3rd going down into the pastures below for cattle and wildlife trough's. Pics 1-4 show the drill rig.

The Hummingbirds are back from down south. They are already stopping by the feeders on the cabin deck. Pic 5

My last post I noted that I changed out all the water lines in the bathroom to PEX. Pic 6 is a picture of the new lines and the new (better) water pump.

I still have to fine tune the cabin with screen doors, some touch up painting, steel gas lines to the new 120 gal Propane tank, and metal skirting. After that it will be an all out assault on getting the Saloon finished out by deer season!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Very cool. Any idea of how good of a water vein you hit?

Comment

I read you are using 2 inch poly. I recently tried using 2 inch poly & had a nightmare of a time. The place I bought it from warned me about it but I thought my experience would be different. The problems I had were the fittings / adapters couldn't get a tight fit so they kept leaking. I used a flame torch to soften the inside but still couldn't get it to work. I'm sticking with 1 inch from now on. Hope you have better luck with it than I did.
                            Last edited by techzan; 03-30-2021, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by techzan View Post
                              I read you are using 2 inch poly. I recently tried using 2 inch poly & had a nightmare of a time. The place I bought it from warned me about it but I thought my experience would be different. The problems I had were the fittings / adapters couldn't get a tight fit so they kept leaking. I used a flame torch to soften the inside but still couldn't get it to work. I'm sticking with 1 inch from now on. Hope you have better luck with it than I did.
                              Thanks for the heads up. We are using 2" because that is what my neighbor already had on hand. He is experienced at it so I hope we don't run into that problem.

Comment

Originally posted by wlee15 View Post
                                This last weekend I went by myself and added a water trough to the feed pen. it was a fun project to work on but it was pretty hard work. I think it turned out nice, we will see if it all works correctly after a few weeks. Pics 10-14
                                Mind me asking where you got that galvanized water trough? I'm was thinking of building a concrete one but decided to go the galvanized route due to weight of the concrete.

That well project is awesome!

Comment

Working...
                                X