2020 Saltwater Thread Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Punkin View Post
    How much do the tides weigh into your decision to go fishing or not? Tomorrow for example, high tide is supposed to be around 4:30am and low tide isn't until around 8:30pm. This what I found with a quick Google search. I understand this to mean, during my normal fishing ours, roughly 6:00am - 3:00pm, there won't be much water movement. Would this discourage you from making the trip from Tomball to Galveston? Or is the tidal movement not really as much of a factor as I've been lead to believe it is?

So if high tide is at 4:30, then you should be good by 6:30 onward. Slack tide would be like 3:30 to 5:30. That’s the way I understand it. The tide should be more active in between high and low tide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Proper technique for flounder is a good light and sharp gig.

Two trips this week

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Moving water is important. I don't care if it is rising or falling, caused by tide or wind.

I pay attention to tide, moon phase, wind direction and speed, water temp, etc but I usually do not have the luxury of picking and choosing when I fish. If you fish the tough days as well as the ice cream days you will become a much better fisherman. It takes time to learn what to do and where to go during difficult conditions but once you get a couple plans that work for each set of conditions you can revisit those over and over again and also you'll know what to look for in other bays. The only way you'll figure that out is to get out there and do it.

When it comes to weak tides think about where that water flow will be the greatest and go there. Fish those areas that have the strongest flow. Think about where the water comes and goes from bays. The closer to passes the stronger the flow. Now, what is in your bay near a pass that might hold bait and hold fish? Is there a reef near there? Are there grass flats? You need a spot where the water will be fishable, that will concentrate fish and that the flow will be stronger than maybe other parts of the bay. You don't need water flowing by like a river, just moving.

That does not mean you are going to go out and have the best day of fishing you ever had but it also doesn't mean you ought to sit on the couch and hope your next day off is better. I promise you won't catch fish in your living room.

Comment

Now that's the way to catch'em... excuse me stab them!

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
              Moving water is important. I don't care if it is rising or falling, caused by tide or wind.

I pay attention to tide, moon phase, wind direction and speed, water temp, etc but I usually do not have the luxury of picking and choosing when I fish. If you fish the tough days as well as the ice cream days you will become a much better fisherman. It takes time to learn what to do and where to go during difficult conditions but once you get a couple plans that work for each set of conditions you can revisit those over and over again and also you'll know what to look for in other bays. The only way you'll figure that out is to get out there and do it.

When it comes to weak tides think about where that water flow will be the greatest and go there. Fish those areas that have the strongest flow. Think about where the water comes and goes from bays. The closer to passes the stronger the flow. Now, what is in your bay near a pass that might hold bait and hold fish? Is there a reef near there? Are there grass flats? You need a spot where the water will be fishable, that will concentrate fish and that the flow will be stronger than maybe other parts of the bay. You don't need water flowing by like a river, just moving.

That does not mean you are going to go out and have the best day of fishing you ever had but it also doesn't mean you ought to sit on the couch and hope your next day off is better. I promise you won't catch fish in your living room.

Nailed it!

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                I’m not an expert either but I do care for them. Lol. I’ll catch 3-4 a year accidentally. Stuffed flounder is one of my favorite meals.
                Yes sir. Cut right along the mid line there and peel back the meat gently and stuff that bad boy with some shrimp, bacon, green onions and a few other items - good stuff right there!

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post

Thank you, your input is really helpful! Gives me some things to think about to develop a plan with.

Comment

Originally posted by BowhunterB View Post
                    Yes sir. Cut right along the mid line there and peel back the meat gently and stuff that bad boy with some shrimp, bacon, green onions and a few other items - good stuff right there!
                    I cut the head off, and start working the meat off the backbone from the end, as you go, cut the backbone with scissors as close to the edge as possible and you can roll the meat back like a sock. Then when you stuff it, it is boneless except for the fins around the edge. I saw it on YouTube and started doing it that way.

Comment

I cut the head off, and start working the meat off the backbone from the end, as you go, cut the backbone with scissors as close to the edge as possible and you can roll the meat back like a sock. Then when you stuff it, it is boneless except for the fins around the edge. I saw it on YouTube and started doing it that way.
                      Do you have a link to the video? I'd be curios to see that done.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5c0D2TGfSbc"]How to Pocket a Flounder - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Did 3 of them this way yesterday, sure mekes em easier to eat when not picking thru bones. "Flounder sock" is how I labeled the bags before the went in the freezer.

Comment

That's cool! I never would've thought of that.

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
                                Did 3 of them this way yesterday, sure mekes em easier to eat when not picking thru bones. "Flounder sock" is how I labeled the bags before the went in the freezer.

When you eat them, are you eating the skin as well or do you peel the meat off the skin?

Comment

Working...
                                X