Employers: Hiring tricks and tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employers: Hiring tricks and tips

Looking for tips when hiring employees. I have done it as an employee and now as employer. To put it bluntly, I'm not good at it.

People lie about everything, overstate skills and experience etc.

How do you see through it? There seem to be so few good candidates, how to weed out the bad ones ( the majority )

It's been a few years but I always watched their mannerisms when asked tough questions.

Comment

References from previous employers...pay attn to their replies.

Recommendation letters....confirmed.

Comment

Sometimes you just have to wing it........

Comment

Pay them by the day no strings attached till you can see what their capabilities are. If they need a job and want to work they should be up to the challenge. Kind of a trial/probation period.

Comment

Give me an example of what position you're hiring for.Hiring a routine production guy/mechanic/hydraulic guy..They all get different questions..It's not fool proof,but you can weed them out pretty quick..Have you ever worked shift work?It's a requirement.You'll be on call,it's a requirement..Whether it is,or isn't..Let's you know real quick,whether they're hungry or not..What's the most awful job you've ever had?
            Landscaper,iron workers helper,plumbers helper..Would you rather build a race car,or drive it?
            I've got a million of em..Makes em open up,and kinda show you a personal side..Again,it's not 100%,but I've got a pretty good average.

Comment

During their interview, purposely drop a pen. If they jump up and hand it back to you hire them... if they just stare at it or wait for you to pick it up move them along...

Comment

This is a skilled trade. Blue collar. Hourly. Non supervisory.

Comment

You might need to restructure your pay system.
                  Your business isn't the same as mine was but I tried the hourly route and that didn't work out so well for me, especially being unsupervised. Come by to see how things are going, and find employees sitting around or one time fishing in my pond! I started paying for the production they were doing and that helped everyone tremendously. The more they worked, the more they made. Me also. Everybody wins.

Comment

When I ran A welding shop, I would give a simple welding test. I would tell the applicants to fit it, and not to weld it until I saw it. I would purposely take off to the other shop for about 10 or 15 minutes. The test was so easy, guys just couldn't wait to weld it up. I'd get back and 90% of them would be standing there with the test all welded. I'd say "FAILED" as I walked up, and they would laugh until they saw I was serious.

The instruction to the test were to fit it and NOT to weld it until I saw it. I can teach a guy how to weld, but if they can't follow simple instructions then it's a no from me.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                      Looking for tips when hiring employees. I have done it as an employee and now as employer. To put it bluntly, I'm not good at it.

People lie about everything, overstate skills and experience etc.

How do you see through it? There seem to be so few good candidates, how to weed out the bad ones ( the majority )
                      One thing is, when they come inside the office, stall them and go inspect their vehicle. If they don’t have a clean vehicle that is taken care of, they won’t care for your stuff either. It has nothing to do with how old or expensive, mainly with how well it’s kept. Trash everywhere inside and dirty isn’t a good sign. It doesn’t cost much to clean. Its more about taking pride in your belongings.

Comment

When I was in a position to hire people I figured I was successful in about one of three.

Comment

Have someone else you trust sit in and/or participate in the interviews. Really “reading” a person while your in the process of having a conversation/interviewing/selling a person is a skill. It amazing what you can pick up on with people when you’re watching two people converse while being somewhat of an observer at different parts of the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Use a temp/staffing service, get them to somewhat pre screen them and if you don’t like the or they don’t like you they just walk away. It’s not fool proof and you might run through a few but you may get really lucky as well and find a good hand.

Comment

I’m not a jock, but I’ve found the guys I’ve hired that played sports were harder working, easier to train, and didn’t get their feelings hurt easily compared to those that didn’t.

I came to this realization when I had a couple lacrosse players staining boards out in the sun on a 100 degree day. I couldn’t get them to come inside and take a water break. I asked them if it was any hotter than being in a lacrosse helmet and they said “nope.” They were just happy to be making money.

Comment

Working...
                              X