Journal Your Hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Journal Your Hunts

Does anyone ever keep track of what they see over the course of a hunting season? Not only that but the weather conditions and times and such? I've been thinking about it for years and decided this is the year.

I made an excel sheet on my iphone and have categories such as (Date, Blind, Time, Buck, Doe, Weather, Moon). It is probably nothing more than just something to entertain me but I'm hoping to get some tendencies of the deer in my area. I'm low fence and the deer come and go but maybe it might help at some point down the road? Anyone else do something similar and if so have you learned anything?

Yes. Got it from my grandfather. Been doing it before I was ever around. It definitely helps when tracking deer over the course of a season/years and when/where they go.

Comment

I keep a hand written journal of hunts. Weather, date, eventful/interesting moments

Comment

Yessir. You’ll find tendencies through the years as well. Maybe something you can key on or utilize on your hunts year to year. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Been a weird year already. Deer are showing up at mid day more than ever before. We also are covered up with pigs this year.

Comment

Absolutely. Thought it was kind of dumb when I started but now I'm 25 years in and if my house was on fire, it is one of the first things I'm grabbing.
            Along with helping find trends and patterns year after year, it has tons of sentimental value. Some great memories in there that would have long been forgotten had I not written them down. Now one of the highlights of a day of hunting is putting down a few thoughts at the end of the day around a campfire.
            Last edited by Charrison; 11-03-2020, 03:27 PM.

Comment

I have an excel sheet that logs all of my game camera photos by date, time, direction of travel, sex, age, moon phase, temperature, rutting activity, and duration of stay in front of the camera. Makes identifying patterns easier for sure.

Comment

We do the same. Keep a journal for each blind. Date it's sat, am or pm, what is seen - buck, doe, fawn and pigs, and what is killed at the location. I havn't tracked weather but that would be a good addition. This helps me keep up with how active blinds are and if one needs to be pulled or moved. It's neat to keep up with.
                The more information the better.

Comment

Yes on my travel hunts or special north American hunts. Not on my hill country lease or my east Texas land.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

No, But I am about to start. That' a good Idea.

Comment

No, but seems like a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota7493 View Post
                        Does anyone ever keep track of what they see over the course of a hunting season? Not only that but the weather conditions and times and such? I've been thinking about it for years and decided this is the year.

I made an excel sheet on my iphone and have categories such as (Date, Blind, Time, Buck, Doe, Weather, Moon). It is probably nothing more than just something to entertain me but I'm hoping to get some tendencies of the deer in my area. I'm low fence and the deer come and go but maybe it might help at some point down the road? Anyone else do something similar and if so have you learned anything?
                        Yes I have done it for several years, but this year I haven't for whatever reason. It is good to take notes, it helps in years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by tlh2865 View Post
                          I have an excel sheet that logs all of my game camera photos by date, time, direction of travel, sex, age, moon phase, temperature, rutting activity, and duration of stay in front of the camera. Makes identifying patterns easier for sure.
                          Do you mind sharing the format? I'd love to start doing that and having a base template to start with would be great.

Comment

It’s the Excel spreadsheet app. Just something that I can quickly do on my phone while in the blind. No signal needed, so works anywhere. You can add whatever categories you want, add colors to the columns, etc..

Comment

Now that I think of it, I'm going to add a wind column.

Comment

Working...
                              X