Hogs! Red light or green light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hogs! Red light or green light?

What do you use and why? Which color is best for hunting hogs?

Red

Comment

I use red. Started with red it doesnt seem to spook em I can see good with it so never tried anything else.
      Sniper hog light has served me well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Red, but depends on what you’re looking for. Spotlight, red. Feeder light, don’t think it matters. Have some DIY feeder lights I made where the color wore off. They got used to the white light and continued to come without issue

Comment

On the color spectrum, red and green both have wavelengths outside of what they can see. Red is further on the spectrum, so go with red.

That said, they can still see the light being admitted, just not the color, so regardless of red or green, they will still see shadows. In my research, I have found that red makes them less jumpy when the light comes on.

Your best bet is infrared. Invisible to the eye, they won't jump at all. It is also a budget friendly option compared tp thermals.

Comment

Red!!!

Comment

All you need to do is read this thread linked below and watch two guys put a major hurt on the pigs all year with the Sniper Hoglight 38LRX RED bow light.. I've had some good success with the 38LRX as well thanks to them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Filthy McNasty 1.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	24633897
              Last edited by Smart; 10-19-2020, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Red

Comment

I can see animals better with red light. I suppose it may depend on the person but that's what I prefer.

Comment

Whatever you use, don’t flash the light on them directly at first. Shine it up in the air and bring it down on them s l o w l y. Some will run and some won’t, depends on the hog.

Comment

My experience is red is better than green

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                        Whatever you use, don’t flash the light on them directly at first. Shine it up in the air and bring it down on them s l o w l y. Some will run and some won’t, depends on the hog.
                        This... I've used both and both have spooked some where the other didn't. I'm convinced that it's more the shadow than the light...as mentioned above. Red light seems to give off less shadow. Either way, use as low powered light of either color as you can.

Comment

i have an elusive wildlife motion activated solar light in green that has been out on a feeder for 4 years. it gradually gets brighter when it detects movement.

if i'm hunting away from that feeder then i use a red sniper hoglight

Comment

I see better with green

Comment

If my memory is correct it was San Diego zoo that tried all colors of lights
                              to get the nocturnal animals out where people could see them in the daytime
                              Red was the winner . This was in the early 60s . Animals were behind glass .

Comment

Working...
                              X