Towing trailers and the law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Towing trailers and the law

I know there are other threads but I just want a short concise answer on what I can legally tow behind an f250 with a class c license
    Can I manage to be legal with a 75hp tractor and 15’ batwing?
    I understand it comes down to gross weight but what is that number ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As I understand it, you have to have a CDL if your GCWR exceeds 26,000 pounds (i.e. 26,001 or more) and the towed vehicle has a GVWR exceeding 10,000 (i.e. 10,001 or more). Loaded legally, you're unlikely to get in CDL territory in an F250. But today's dually trucks with diesel engines can get well into CDL territory, and DPS won't hesitate to park you if you are.

Comment

There is a gvwr rating on your truck door and one on your trailer. They need to be under 26k added together. Even if the trailer is empty, doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post
        As I understand it, you have to have a CDL if your GCWR exceeds 26,000 pounds (i.e. 26,001 or more) and the towed vehicle has a GVWR exceeding 10,000 (i.e. 10,001 or more). Loaded legally, you're unlikely to get in CDL territory in an F250. But today's dually trucks with diesel engines can get well into CDL territory, and DPS won't hesitate to park you if you are.
        My single wheel 350 will get me well into CDL land. Most 250s will get you there too with the right trailer.

OP your truck most likely has a 10,000 lb GVWR meaning up to 10K lbs can be placed on the trucks axles. That’s roughly 7500-8000 lbs of the trucks own weight, then another 2000-2500 of cargo placed on the trucks axles. That includes passengers, bed cargo, and trailer tongue weight. Now here’s the kicker. Gross weight doesn’t make a dam if the trailers GVWR puts you over the 26,000 mark. Say your truck has a 10K GVWR then the absolute most trailer you can pull is a trailer with a 16K GVWR. Doesn’t matter if it’s unloaded and only weighs 6,000 lbs empty. They go by rated weight. That pretty much instantly rules out dual tandem goosenecks without a Class A DL with farm tags or RV or Class A CDL

That said it’s highly unlikely you’ll get messed with if you stay reasonable on weight AND you don’t drive in a CDL hotspot such as the Permian Basin.

Comment

If your trailer has farm plates you are good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
            Trailers need plates???

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post

That said it’s highly unlikely you’ll get messed with if you stay reasonable on weight AND you don’t drive in a CDL hotspot such as the Permian Basin.

This is what I was going to say as well, but since I’m not in the clique here, I’d get dog piled for saying this. I pull a 35ft tandem axle dual loaded heavy pretty often. Im farm tagged and never been hassled about it. Been all over OK/TX.

Comment

26,001 is the combined truck/trailer GVWR that requires a cdl. Subtract your truck’s GVWR from 26k and that’s your max trailer gvwr.

Comment

Op, to answer your question correctly can you post a picture of the weight sticker on your driver's side door jamb?

Comment

Not necessarily the 26,000 GVRW still applies to farm vehicles. I have been weighing the options on my farm as I haul a lot of equipment around custom hay baling. Right now my truck trailer combo is over 26k. When we buy a new truck we are getting an F550 and that will definitely put us over. Since it is my business I do not see a problem in taking the test and getting a CDL. Farm plates will only save you for so long until you run into that one DPS officer that is pulling over every load that looks overweight.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                      Op, to answer your question correctly can you post a picture of the weight sticker on your driver's side door jamb?

Comment

Here is everything you need to know and then some.

Comment

So his trailer can’t be more than 21000? I’m trying to understand. Thanks

Comment

What model tractor?

A gooseneck with 8k axles should do the trick. That will put you right at a total 26k CGVWR which is non CDL.

Comment

Originally posted by justintyme8303 View Post
                              What model tractor?

A gooseneck with 8k axles should do the trick. That will put you right at a total 26k CGVWR which is non CDL.

Running a 2008 Mahindra cab 7010

Comment

Working...
                              X