Cottonseed color??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cottonseed color??

Normally has been white in the past but today’s batch is tan?? Is it old or going bad or can the color vary a little?? Thx

Probably just dirty /stained.. Our cotton seed out west is grayish....

Assuming we get a bunch of windstorms out that way and dirt layers on the seed once it is removed in storage.

Comment

Thanks Smart!! Should be good to go then. As long as they eat it!

Comment

To check and see if the cottonseed is good, you should cut the seed open and examine. It should be greenish white. If it is black, it’s no good. The color of the lint is irrelevant.

Usually cut into at least 10 or so every time I buy seed. You would be surprised what some of the Gins try to pass off.

Fingers crossed that the $$/ton goes down as ginning starts in August.

Comment

Originally posted by D12 View Post
          Thanks Smart!! Should be good to go then. As long as they eat it!

“As long as they eat it” is somewhat defeating the purpose. If the seed is old and bad, the protein/fat content is reduced. At costs currently around $400/ton, it’s hard to justify the added labor when protein pellets can be had much easier and at the same cost - especially if your cottonseed is of a diminished nutritional value.

Comment

Originally posted by aggieman12 View Post
            “As long as they eat it” is somewhat defeating the purpose. If the seed is old and bad, the protein/fat content is reduced. At costs currently around $400/ton, it’s hard to justify the added labor when protein pellets can be had much easier and at the same cost - especially if your cottonseed is of a diminished nutritional value.
            Thank you sir! I am always open ears to learn from others who know! Checking it now

Comment

Was it bulk? If bagged and it's fortified then it will be brown.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by PROD49 View Post

Yep fortified cottonseed is tan in color and the difference in the two is just some added minerals..from what I read on the two different bags we put out

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  Probably just dirty /stained.. Our cotton seed out west is grayish....

Assuming we get a bunch of windstorms out that way and dirt layers on the seed once it is removed in storage.
                  Smart, where you getting your cotton seed and corn in the San Angelo area?

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo V View Post
                    Smart, where you getting your cotton seed and corn in the San Angelo area?

Cottonseed in Wall Gin, Mereta Gin or Rowena Gin depending on who has it when I'm buying.

Corn, in the past, if I don't bring it from Bucees, I use Palmers in San Angelo because I get my protein there as well. Bucees is the same price as Palmers now so I'll just get it all at Palmers right now.

Comment

Originally posted by PROD49 View Post

Heck I though we were dealing with bulk....scratch my answer if not..

Comment

Just paid $430/ ton at Rowena. If it goes up any more it will be rice and beans for me AND the deer.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerMe View Post
                          Just paid $430/ ton at Rowena. If it goes up any more it will be rice and beans for me AND the deer.

Ridiculous.....timed protein and mother nature with all this rain are gonna have to suffice.. When I got into the game it was $169/ton.

Comment

Checked out good! Now the older white cottonseed was about 50/50

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              Cottonseed in Wall Gin, Mereta Gin or Rowena Gin depending on who has it when I'm buying.

Corn, in the past, if I don't bring it from Bucees, I use Palmers in San Angelo because I get my protein there as well. Bucees is the same price as Palmers now so I'll just get it all at Palmers right now.
                              Right on thank you!
                              Yes corn from Bucees is my go to as well - just put out cotton seed today, not sure if it’s been fed on our lease in the past but if it does well, I’ll be putting out lots more this year. Thank you for response

Comment

Working...
                              X