Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
    If that big old hog won’t go near a feeder not sure how easy he will be to trap.
    I agree. We have never seen much hog sign out there but this last trip showed a bunch of sign so we decided to set up a trap and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
      I agree. We have never seen much hog sign out there but this last trip showed a bunch of sign so we decided to set up a trap and see what happens.
      Have yall had them in there prior. If not where are they digging in at?

Should be easy to ride the fences and find their entry point

Comment

We're high fenced west of Junction and quit trying to keep the pork out. Even with all the rocks they dig and push the fence up enough to get under. We block the gap and they move down 20 feet and push through another spot. Now we just wait till they pattern at a feeder then we ambush them. It slows them down for a while. Typically they are worse during the summer since we're feeding protein, cottonseed and the neighbors only feed during the regular season so we get pretty infested with multiple packs during the summer. Good luck on getting that big boar. For whatever reason our pigs are trap shy even though we don't use the traps but maybe once a year. I'll be following to see if that big one takes the bait

Comment

We only trap during the deer season. and we have to hide the traps. anything in the open and they will feed around it and never go in it. If we hide it they will go in.

Comment

Originally posted by powderburner View Post
            We only trap during the deer season. and we have to hide the traps. anything in the open and they will feed around it and never go in it. If we hide it they will go in.
            Thanks for the tip! We left it open since we aren’t there but we will hide it with brush during our next trip. Do you normally just hide it with brush?

Comment

Thanks for the tip! We left it open since we aren’t there but we will hide it with brush during our next trip. Do you normally just hide it with brush?
              Stuffing it into a cedar are piling brush up around it helps, leaving the drop gates wired open for awhile helps, hoping your deer and exotics don't eat your corn from around and in your trap helps.............

I really never had a great amount of success until I built my drop gate trap without a floor. It seemed by camera that my hogs would eat the trail corn to the trap, take one step into the trap and when they felt the panel they would then back out.

I recommend you put a trail camera facing the trap on its video setting and see if this might happen to you.

Best of luck and enjoy following along.

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
                Stuffing it into a cedar are piling brush up around it helps, leaving the drop gates wired open for awhile helps, hoping your deer and exotics don't eat your corn from around and in your trap helps.............

I really never had a great amount of success until I built my drop gate trap without a floor. It seemed by camera that my hogs would eat the trail corn to the trap, take one step into the trap and when they felt the panel they would then back out.

I recommend you put a trail camera facing the trap on its video setting and see if this might happen to you.

Rwc
                Agree 100%!

Take out the floor

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post

Rwc
                  Thanks for the tips! I will put a camera around it and push it into some brush. I'll see if I can cut out the floor as well.

Comment

We set up our cell trail camera at the hog feeder and left the door open for the past 4 days but no hog activity. Been seeing lots of deer but no hogs. My dad is allowing corn to sit in water for a day and will then add it in the trap to see if that deters the deer or attracts the hogs. It's very strange as we haven't seen any hogs at our corn feeders or protein feeders.

Comment

We set up our cell trail camera at the hog feeder and left the door open for the past 4 days but no hog activity. Been seeing lots of deer but no hogs. My dad is allowing corn to sit in water for a day and will then add it in the trap to see if that deters the deer or attracts the hogs. It's very strange as we haven't seen any hogs at our corn feeders or protein feeders.
                      Don't you have most of them fenced off?

Comment

We have all our feeders fenced but the 12ft metal gates are all open to every feeder and have been open since last fall since we aren’t grazing cattle this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Look what showed up just now but the door is still wired open. Let’s hope he makes the same mistake next time we are out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That’s Awesome. Diffently good sized rascal.

Comment

Originally posted by Droptine3030 View Post
                              That’s Awesome. Diffently good sized rascal.
                              How much you think he weighs? 200lbs?

Comment

Picture

[ATTACH]1046843[/ATTACH]

Comment

Working...
                                X