1/2 ton Diesel vs. Gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
    IMO the half ton diesels are a solution in search of a problem. They’re not torque monsters in the least bit, they’re considerably slower, but they get good fuel mileage. Factor in slightly increased maintenance and diesel prices and you’re barely breaking even with the increased fuel mileage. I’d rather have cheaper upfront costs and refill more often than worry about the headache of modern diesels.
    ^^^ This. The new diesels were added solely to boost the MPG numbers of the MFG's. They tow no better, weigh more, cost more to operate, and in my opinion, negate the point of having a truck in the first place, which is payload. If you are buying a truck, and MPG is in your top 5 list of things to consider, you probably don't really need a truck.

Originally posted by dwactx View Post
    So the Eco Boost is problematic after 100k? my son has one and we are at 87k
    just wanting to know what to expect
    No. They last forever. The first gen of the motor had some minor issues with condensation in one of the intercooler pipes in humid climates. Ford got it figured out pretty quick, and there was a fix in a couple months. Turbo's these days are built to handle the heat/cool cycle that the turbo's of the 80's couldn't handle.

There may be a few bad ones here and there, but you'll get that when you sell nearly a million F-150's in a year.

Comment

But, rolling coal is kool

Comment

How’s towing mileage? Double that of the gas half tons I would imagine.

Comment

Working...
        X