Over the back again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over the back again

I have missed several deer with the arrow going right over their back. I know deer have great reactions and begin to duck as soon as you release the string. I can consistently hit where I am aiming when practicing. Where do you pick your spot on a broadside deer when shooting a trad bow from an elevated position?

Where you want the arrow to hit.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
      Where you want the arrow to hit.
      Poor advice. Thats why he missed.

Comment

I don’t shoot traditional but I pick a hair in the strike zone and line up with where I want my exit point. But, if they are skittish and jumping the string like you are describing, try to anticipate and aim a bit lower, I tend to aim bottom edge of chest so they will duck directly into the shot placement of a heart or lung shot and if they don’t I have a clean miss. This can all be debatable since they are pretty unpredictable and you never really know exactly what they are going to do.

Comment

I have my tree stand almost 20' up and I must remind myself to aim low...I tend to shoot over deer, squirrels etc.. just enough to miss. I like the close shots where I drill down into the back. Have had many kills this way and the deer often just go a little ways and look around for the danger not knowing they are about to fall over.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
            Poor advice. Thats why he missed.
            Never had a deer duck or drop on me. My statement stands. Don’t shoot at nervous deer.

Comment

Iowahunter Can you tell me more about the equipment you are using?
              Last edited by Slambo; 12-12-2020, 11:15 AM. Reason: Left out who it was addressed to

Comment

Never had a deer duck or drop on me. My statement stands. Don’t shoot at nervous deer.
                I presume he is hunting Texas deer. I always aim low heart. Most hits end up center of the lungs. If he dont duck I blow his heart out. I have killed deer with every kind of archery gear you can think up. 90 percent duck.
                Last edited by GarGuy; 12-12-2020, 11:21 AM.

Comment

That’s because your fat body corn fed Iowa deer can’t move like our sporty little Texas deer

Comment

Dang...we got a lot of closet trad hunters!

Comment

Check with Tony Pic on here. That’s all he shoots now I believe. I would suggest that if your standing you bend at the waist.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                        Dang...we got a lot of closet trad hunters!
                        I shot trad many years. Still have a ben Pearson and two bear kodiak hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneSouth View Post
                          That’s because your fat body corn fed Iowa deer can’t move like our sporty little Texas deer
                          That may be the reason I suppose. But they sure eat well!

My cousin’s son shot a 300 lb doe and she was a young one.

Comment

I saw this study that changed my way of thinking after 25 years of bow hunting. Shoot at deer when their heads are raised vs down and feeding. Watched multiple videos that showed deer over and over “load up” and crouch when their heads were down feeding. Little to no drop or change in POA when upright. Just something new to evaluate...
                            Last edited by gneimeth; 12-12-2020, 12:32 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

I've back strapped the same doe twice in 3 weeks. I switched to the compound until I figure it out. Not sure if it's the procedures I'm having done or the release bad because my ring finger is not bending but until I get consistent again I'm not wounding another one.
                              Took two big boars lat night after dark with the old Hoyt.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X