AC or Fans in deer blind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    So your argument to his “there are not many trees to hunt out of in South Texas” is not for store bought stands? And you gotta build something out of 2x4s to do it? So building a blind in a mesquite tree out of 2x4s even if you stick out like a sore thumb makes you more in touch with hunting versus somebody that uses a store bought stand or hunts in a box/Krivoman stand or a popup? Really?

Also a South Texas boy here born and raised from the mid-late 70s and have hunted all over with my dad and brothers. And yes we made stands from 2x4s back in the day or throwing up a real wooden ladder in a mesquite flat and sat on the top rung when we had to but you stood out like a sore thumb. Then along came tripods and you stood out like a sore thumb still just with more mobility. Boxes and pop ups allowed us better cover, better ability to put a stand where you want and not where a single tree dictates and I don’t have to climb trees anymore. Hunt smarter not harder...

I agree with you 100%. I LOVE hunting from trees & tripods, and still do in the hill country. I have a tripod that I use in Freer, but as soon as the mesquite leaves fall, you may as well be on a 10’ tripod in the desert. I’ve had to learn to adapt to where I’m hunting, and the box blinds that I’ve built for bow hunting have been the best thing I’ve done. They’re short enough to blend in with the taller brush and mesquites, but just y’all enough to shoot over smaller brush. I’ve spent a small fortune on pop-up blinds over the years, and finally learned my lesson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't like bowhunting from any kind of box, although I do have them. Roasting in early bow season is not my thing so when it is hot I will hunt from a tripod or on the ground. Not all tripods are tall. I have one about 5 ft tall. When it is really cold, the box shines. I agree with TXheartshot. I too spent a small fortune on popups over the years and finally started building ground boxes for when it is really cold.

Comment

If it is too hot for me to sit without a fan, then it is too hot for me to be skinning a deer...i'll stick to fishing till it cools off a bit

Comment

My box blind only has one window and it gets brutal in the early season. Always used towels soaking in ice water to cool down. I'm already soaking wet from sweat any way. Figured a fan would be too noisy or disperse my scent too much for a mature buck to get into bow range.

Comment

The more that I can reduce sweating and avoid smelling like a huge onion inside a deer blind, under a tree, or wherever, in 100 degree Texas heat, the better.

I'm thinking about building a cooler fan for my blind. Anyone tried building one of those?

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
              How noisy are the Dewalts?
              $79.00 on Amazon right now.

I have one. It does make some noise on the highest setting, but slow it down much lower than that and you can barely hear it.

Comment

Thanks, guys...I appreciate the input. I could care less if someone thinks I'm not a "real hunter" because I don't want to fry in the TX heat. I also like to hog hunt year round so a fan sounds pretty dang good August - October.

Comment

I ain’t gonna fault anyone for trying to cool down a bit.
                  I have poured many a bottled water over my head and hat.
                  I have sat in my ground blind in nothing but my drawers...

Comment

Originally posted by BayouCat View Post
                    The more that I can reduce sweating and avoid smelling like a huge onion inside a deer blind, under a tree, or wherever, in 100 degree Texas heat, the better.

I'm thinking about building a cooler fan for my blind. Anyone tried building one of those?

I built one several years ago out of a HD bucket & 12v fan. Works ok with a jug of ice, works better with dry ice. I found that in my bigger bow blinds it’s not as effective, but definitely helps.

Comment

I have a fan in my blind. It’s pretty quiet but all it does is push hot air around. It doesn’t really offer any relief from the heat imo. I do bring a small cooler with ice water and a couple wash cloths and will keep one chilled while I wear one around the back of my neck. Just wrong out excess water and you’re good to go. It really helps with comfort in a hot blind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm about to install a window unit on the box blind closest to my house.

Call me what you want....except for sweaty.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                          I'm about to install a window unit on the box blind closest to my house.

Call me what you want....except for sweaty.

I’ve been meaning to price adequate solar power to run a window unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            I’ve been meaning to price adequate solar power to run a window unit.

Here's what I found - the author rambles around a bit.

Can you run air conditioning on solar power? Even if you’re in a tiny house and living off the grid, air conditioning is a necessity many of us can’t go without. I stress-tested my solar panel system to see how well it could run my air conditioning unit and discovered some cool results.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              I got a Milwaukee M18 fan after seeing several folks on here say they use the Dewalts and Ryobis that are similar....

Found it on sale for $69 at Home Depot tonight. Bought it. Seems quiet enough on low to hunt with.

Comment

Beyond unbelievable.

Just camo a 5th wheel, place it in the woods near a feeder, attach a generator of choice.

Then shoot deer though a window after a cup of coffee (whenever you wake up) and then go back to bed.

Comment

Working...
                                X