Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

stud finders...ain't what ya thinking...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stud finders...ain't what ya thinking...

I have a 24 x 30 detached garage. the roof shingles need to be replaced (20 years old). Could be some hail damage in there.

I figure to replace with a metal roof. Run some ix4 purlins across the roof to support the panels.

What do you guys use to find roof joist from above in order to screw down the 1x4 thru the shingles. any band better than others;;;any to stay away from.

I figure to run the perlins about 4' spacing .

Put metal roof on my house several years ago

Used treated 1x4 lathes (sp?) on 3' spacing screwed down through shingles and decking with wood screws.

Then metal screwed down through those with screws made to attach metal roof to wood

Stacked about 5 sheets together and clamped them, marked screw locations and drilled pilot holes for where screws would go. Makes for easier time screwing sheets down and has a nice uniform look

Comment

[QUOTE=BTLowry;14760546]Put metal roof on my house several years ago

Used treated 1x4 lathes (sp?) on 3' spacing screwed down through shingles and decking with wood screws.

Then metal screwed down through those with screws made to attach metal roof to wood

I did this^^^^
      And it with stood 75 or more winds last June when a tornado just missed me

Comment

Check with Roof metal manufacturer.....Mine said Don't attach to Treated wood...

Comment

I would run a small nail up from in attic next to a rafter. Then measure from that spot, adding or subtracting 3/4 inch to put you in the center of the 2X4.

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
            Check with Roof metal manufacturer.....Mine said Don't attach to Treated wood...
            Because of the chemicals in treated wood cause it to rust?

Comment

Originally posted by Paycheck View Post
              I would run a small nail up from in attic next to a rafter. Then measure from that spot, adding or subtracting 3/4 inch to put you in the center of the 2X4.
              Yeah, I had thought about that. But,I'd rather be able to locate them outside if possible.

Comment

Just pull the old shingles off and attached new metal roof directly on to the old decking. They make screws specifically for that purpose. Super easy and don't have to mess with adding purlin or any of that other nonsense. We have done 7-8 roofs this way over the last 15 years and had no issues with any of them.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Your too old to get on roof. I would use whatever the person doing it recommends

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                    Because of the chemicals in treated wood cause it to rust?
                    they warp

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                      Your too old to get on roof. I would use whatever the person doing it recommends
                      naah...age is a state of mind. I was up there yesterday. dang squirrels ate a hole in my ridgevent.

Comment

just follow the lines of nails that are already in the decking.

They should be 2' on center

Tap in a nail at the top of each rafter, then snap a chalk line down the roof slope, following the nails if you want to make it easier to see.

Follow the manufacturer recs on spacing, but when I'm walking on a roof, I like to step on the nailers so the roof doesn't get bent. 4' is a long step for a short stack like me! I like 2'.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                          just follow the lines of nails that are already in the decking.

They should be 2' on center

Tap in a nail at the top of each rafter, then snap a chalk line down the roof slope, following the nails if you want to make it easier to see.

Follow the manufacturer recs on spacing, but when I'm walking on a roof, I like to step on the nailers so the roof doesn't get bent. 4' is a long step for a short stack like me! I like 2'.
                          Shingles still on roof. hard to see nails in decking

should be on 2' centers... I built it ...bout 20 years ago. I may space the 1x4's closer. It is a 6/12 pitch roof.

Comment

Why not just pull off the shingles?

Comment

Measure your layout inside
                              go up on the roof measure out where your first rafter should be and use a 3' nail to verify the location

Comment

Working...
                              X