Architect/ builder question- bannisters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We’re finishing our retirement home and have a staircase from an exercise equipment room to a bonus room over the garage. How we do the bannister and safety has become an issue of discussion (said nicely). We left this item ‘open’ with the architect and are deciding with the builder. Not ideal.

I’ve read the IRC and multiple web articles and understand the 34-38” bannister height, the 4” sphere test, etc.

Yet on the web I find many pictures of staircases similar to this with a wall mounted bannister and open on the opposite side. While it may look good and not be the safest option- how do these home meet building codes?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have no clue about how they meet code Bill but are you guys totally sold on keeping it open? Hardly seems to be the thing to do....not a safe option to me.

Comment

Ya, I see that as an insurance problem. Over so many steps then you’ll need a guard rail on both sides. While if your not in the city for inspection the bank will sometimes let this slide but I don’t see your home owners insurance letting it if they come out to inspect.
      My personal house we lived in for four months before I put a rail up, but I had to submit pictures of it once completed.

Comment

Stairs will need a handrail to pass code/inspection.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasAg2002 View Post
          Stairs will need a handrail to pass code/inspection.

We don’t get a local building inspection in Montana- electrical and plumbing- yes- by the state.

I agree with safety- we have 2 grandchildren, but there’s lots of home staircase pictures on Google images (search: staircase no bannister) and I’m curious how they “ get away with it”.

Comment

Code requires the handrail as you described extended from directly over the first riser uninterrupted to directly over the last riser. By putting the handrail on the wall they have met the code requirements. You’re not required to meet the code both sides of the stairs.

(In the photo you posted the electrician needs his throat punched)
            Last edited by Stuck; 09-26-2020, 10:28 AM.

Comment

How in the world do you guys know what inspections are required in Billings MT?
              Bill,
              A 3-4” Cedar baluster every 2-3 treads anchored with all thread into the stringer through the tread same with a 4-6” hand rail anchored the same. Top rail and bottom baluster could be anchored to the slab and secured at stud at the wall. It would match the house nicely.

Comment

Here’s the staircase.

Comment

I think the answer you're looking for is "They don't meet code". Whether your city or county does inspections or not, all residences shout be constructed to meet the IRC. It is purely a fall protection safety issue there. Here's a link to the Irc to help. I hope you can find what you are looking for. It it were me and I wanted it open, I'd just use a glass wall there.
                  Discover the code standards for residential stairs, including dimensions and safety regulations according to the 2021 International Residential Code.

Comment

Unless there is a building inspection for code there is nothing to require that it does— so they don’t necessarily.
                    I’ve never had a bank or insurance company inspect the interior of a home for code compliance, but that could be a snag if that’s how yours does business I s’pose.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
                      Code requires the handrail as you described extended from directly over the first riser uninterrupted to directly over the last riser. By putting the handrail on the wall they have met the code requirements. You’re not required to meet the code both sides of the stairs.

(In the photo you posted the electrician needs his throat punched)
                      LOL! Fo Reel! Actually, that's intentional..for safety. Hand doesn't have to leave the rail to do lights.....no beer spilt!

Comment

Here’s what I’m thinking- bannister on wall from landing to top step, and then metal cables (they cone with adjusters and different colors) from a 6x6 post extending to a wood trim piece matching floor molding on the ceiling.

Comment

Here is sample of some cable railing we are using but they are pretty contemporary but doing it through wood post wood look good. I think your biggest hurdle is termination up top. It would be a hell of lot easier if it terminated to a straight wall. Furr that top angle out to a straight wall to terminate to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

That stair case wouldn’t pass for us due to the treads on the turn. They won’t allow our treads to come to a point like that.

Comment

Working...
                            X