Trying to settle an argument

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
    Depends on the deer. A 130”+ trophy buck with a bow on East Texas timberland imo is a bigger accomplishment than a doe with a crossbow in the National Forest.

Deer being equal, public land is a tougher hunt.
    Agree 100%

Comment

Assuming all things equal, Public land buck for sure but the crossbow part kind of dampers it, unless you're over 70 or disabled. If not, put the tampons away and get a compound or longbow.

Comment

That's not a easy question at all. There are so many factors. I know of public land, that it's pretty easy to find and kill deer on. There are public lands that are very hard to kill deer on. Definitely easier to put a arrow in a deer with a crossbow. Then looking a private land, you could basically be talking about hunting in a zoo. Some of the private property I have seen over the years, it would not take much of anything for someone to kill a deer on. But then there is a lot of it, that's very hard to find a deer to get a shot at with a rifle, much less a bow.

Not a question that has a right answer.

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
          Zero accolades are given for either
          Do you wake up in the morning looking forward to starting your day off with negative comments?

Comment

Originally posted by EZ-10RANCH View Post
            Do you wake up in the morning looking forward to starting your day off with negative comments?

Short answer is yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Spike Slayer View Post
              Which is more of an accomplishment? killing a deer on private land with a compound bow ? Or killing a deer on public land with a crossbow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              In general, I would say killing a deer on public land with a crossbow. At least for me, the sense of accomplishment comes more from the situation surrounding the hunt. Plenty of guys hunt with a compound bow 20 yards from a feeder. Cool. But I don't see why that's more "sporting", or why it should be held as a higher standard of hunting, when compared to someone who hunts public land or unaltered/minimally altered private land with a crossbow or rifle.

Comment

Mature deer on public land all day long. No feeder, no permanent stand, tons of pressure. Totally different ball game regardless of bow used.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                  Far too many variables to make a choice.
                  Yeah, I mean what if you're hunting the King ranch, and then you're hunting some of the hardest hunted public land in Texas. It might be easier to take a doe at the King ranch with a compound, then shoot any deer period with whatever...a rifle even on some of the public land that's available to hunt.

Comment

Success is in the eye of the beholder. Every individual has their idea of success and some imaginary made up myth about certain areas being a bigger accomplishment due to lack of success, numbers, poaching, techniques or size is just that. Everybody measures their weenie differently and it's usually catered to their benefit..

Comment

Crossbows being allowed on the public land I hunt has brought in a lot of uneducated goobers.....based on the conversations I've had at the parking areas. But that's a little off topic.

Comment

Why the need to grade either experience? If both were done legally, congratulate each hunter and ask when will the jerky be ready.

Comment

I’ve killed a number of nice bucks up to 170 on private south Texas land and 135 on East Texas hunting club but I always feel more proud to carry out a doe or spike out of the National Forest with my bow than any thing else.I did take a doe last year at 65 yds in the forest with a cross bow I felt proud of. Killing any thing legally out the forest is an huge satisfying accomplishment IMO

Comment

It depends on how close the deer are to you when you shoot whichever instrument of death you choose. Doh!!!

Comment

I'd say they are equal.

Comment

Its an accomplishment either way.

Comment

Working...
                                X