Welding question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welding question.

I have an old, retired tandem axle galvanized boat trailer that I want to convert to flatbed. Frame is good as are the axles. It is for a deep V boat so the crossmembers are bent to fit. I want to put straight crossmembers in. My question is about the galvanizing. I have heard that the coating can cause problems with the welds such as stress cracking. I have also heard that grinding it away can actually imbed some of the coating into the metal causing the same (Memo @ work that there will be no more welding on galvanized steel). Is there a way of getting all the coating off before welding on it? Does it actually matter? Amateur welder asking!

Just grind off some of the galvanized coating, weld it up and don’t breath the fumes and smoke while welding.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald G View Post
      Just grind off some of the galvanized coating, weld it up and don’t breath the fumes and smoke while welding.
      X2. Done it for 30 years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
        X2. Done it for 30 years.

Yup. Drink whole milk too.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
          Yup. Drink whole milk too.
          I was always told to drink milk when welding galvanized......does it really do anything?

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
            I was always told to drink milk when welding galvanized......does it really do anything?
            I don't know if it does or not but I have always done it too. Some really good/smart welders swear by it and I figure it can't hurt. I can attest it doesn't always go well with beer. Perhaps I will switch to white Russians next time I have to weld galvanized.

Comment

It will ease the nausea and make ease the cough.

Comment

Although I use to use Budweiser for it.

Comment

The fumes are horrible

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post

Helps keep your bones strong.

Comment

[QUOTE=RWB;14984135]I was always told to drink milk when welding galvanized......does it really do anything?[/QUOTE
                      The milk is supposed to neutralize the zinc. I believe it does help but it's best to avoid the fumes while welding galvanized.

Comment

Originally posted by locolobo View Post
                        I have an old, retired tandem axle galvanized boat trailer that I want to convert to flatbed. Frame is good as are the axles. It is for a deep V boat so the crossmembers are bent to fit. I want to put straight crossmembers in. My question is about the galvanizing. I have heard that the coating can cause problems with the welds such as stress cracking. I have also heard that grinding it away can actually imbed some of the coating into the metal causing the same (Memo @ work that there will be no more welding on galvanized steel). Is there a way of getting all the coating off before welding on it? Does it actually matter? Amateur welder asking!
                        I've been rehabbing some working pens that were probably built in the 40's or 50's. All galvanized. Just grind it down to shiny metal and weld away.......

Comment

I wouldn't bother grinding it all off if you are stick welding it. Just use a 6010 and move the arc slowly forward about an inch then drop back and weld about a half inch. Move the arc forward again and drop back and weld. The 6010 is aggressive enough to blow the galvanizing off and dropping back lets you weld where it isn't.

Comment

I do it Outside with a slight breeze to carry away smoke....not too much wind or it will cause weld problems..I also heard that grinding Galv and breathing fumes and dust can cause same symptoms but never verified

Or make your own breeze with fan

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                              I wouldn't bother grinding it all off if you are stick welding it. Just use a 6010 and move the arc slowly forward about an inch then drop back and weld about a half inch. Move the arc forward again and drop back and weld. The 6010 is aggressive enough to blow the galvanizing off and dropping back lets you weld where it isn't.
                              Exactly. Use a Lincoln 5P+ 6010. It's my go to rod for old rusty pipe. It will burn through anything. You better weld fast with those rods. They're the fastest burning rods I've used.

Comment

Working...
                              X