School me on outboard motors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3under3 View Post
    I should have clarified the cost statement. One of the larger guide services is sponsored by Mercury and receive big discounts from them.

IMO a sponsored guide is going to use whatever he cant get cheaper and quicker. A lot of those guides in haynies and other hulls are getting boats on the cheap and able to re-sell them every 2 years. Some dont have any other other motor option. A boat that's getting ran 4-5 hours a day is going to be more reliable than one that gets wet 4 hours a month

Comment

For midrange outboards - 70 to 115 HP, I'd lean on Yamaha 4-strokes. They are lighter than literally all the other's in this power band.

Top power / over 115 hp - Yamaha, Suzuki and or Honda 4-strokes

I run a Yamaha 70 hp 4-stroke on a 17" flats skiff. After a day on the water, I may burn, 5 gallons of fuel covering 70 miles of water. With a 20 gallon fuel cell, I can range nearly 200 miles on a tank if I keep it around 25 mph. She tops out at 39 mph - wide open throttle around 5600 rpm.

Yamaha 70 4 stroke weighs 264lbs, easy on fuel and extremely economical - reliable and quiet.
      Last edited by AtTheWall; 06-12-2020, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
        For midrange outboards - 70 to 115 HP, I'd lean on Yamaha 4-strokes. They are lighter than literally all the other's in this power band.

Top power / over 115 hp - Yamaha, Suzuki and or Honda 4-strokes

I run a Yamaha 70 hp 4-stroke on a 17" flats skiff. After a day on the water, I may burn, 5 gallons of fuel covering 70 miles of water. With a 20 gallon fuel cell, I can range nearly 200 miles on a tank if I keep it around 25 mph. She tops out at 39 mph - wide open throttle around 5600 rpm.

Yamaha 70 4 stroke weighs 264lbs, easy on fuel and extremely economical - reliable and quiet.

Ding Ding This, I agree
        I run a Yamaha 250 SHO on my Shoalwater
        and a Yamaha 115 hp on my 20' flounder boat
        boat are great motors

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
          Yamaha V-MAX SHO 175 HP-250HP. I have the 175 on my VERANDA tri-toon and am looking to repower if you are interested in buying. 2019 model, 30 hours, and already had the 20 hour service done. Good to 100 hrs.
          Please PM me with details.

Comment

Originally posted by 3under3 View Post
            I should have clarified the cost statement. One of the larger guide services is sponsored by Mercury and receive big discounts from them.
            Yes, I know what the guide discounts are on all of them. The Verado with controls and power steering is alot more expensive even on the deepest guide program discount.

Comment

Tohatsu your welcome !

Comment

Thank you for all the feedback. A lot of good information here!!!!

Comment

My 24 ft saltwater package pontoon has a Suzuki. It has been more than reliable. Wish I didn't pay for the extended warranty. Plenty of power. Runs super quiet. In idle mode it is quieter than the trolling motor I had on my bass boat prior to this one.

Comment

Working...
                  X