Flounder boat, fan blade/prop, engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flounder boat, fan blade/prop, engine?

I decided I want to piece together a flounder boat, but don't have any idea where to get the parts for fan. I have seen many flounder boats, with small engines, and small fans/props on the back to push the boat when floundering, but have no idea where to get the engine, prop, possibly some rudders or some way of steering it.

I am talking about the small ones that are mounted above a outboard engine. Then also curious if anyone knows what engines are used or can be used. I figure there are hubs made that fit on the crankshaft to mount the prop on. I have dealt with small engines in the past and know there are multiple different size crankshafts, that you have to have a engine with the correct size crankshaft snout to mount whatever you want to install.

Then I am not sure how those small fan set ups are controlled, as far as the steering. I know that a true air boat, uses a stick to move the rudders. Some of the small jobs that mount over a outboard, look like possibly you actually turn the whole engine possibly.
    I would assume there are companies that sell all of the pieces and possibly tell you how to make it all work, but I don't have a clue.

Also second option, might be a kit or parts to just turn a aluminum skiff into a air boat. Always thought they were cool as a kid, but I know they are very loud.

Thanks for any info.

You will not have rudders with an air motor. The complete motor turns by wire. Give Overboard Custom Boats a call. He can answer any questions you may have and can get you set up with a prop and any other parts you may need.

Comment

Nice hat T willly

Comment

Yeah, the whole motor sits on a base that pivots side to side. The steering cable turns the motor side to side and then you have the ignition switch and throttle. There are different ways to set that up. Most use small Honda motors and you need to match the size of the motor to the size of the boat or you'll go too fast or too slow. They often have an alternator to power the floundering lights. Usually the motor has a pulley and belt to turn the alternator and it is mounted to the side.

Check with Jerry's LEDs on lights. He can give you alot of info on setup and sourcing parts too. I'd also suggest going on a gigging trip or two so that you can see how everything is suppose to work and know what you need and what you don't need.

Comment

overboard custom boats for some ideas

Ive been around a few, most have been home done jobs and like Coastal described. Either garage built or customs the wire that turns the fan from the front almost always needed adjusting

Comment

When I had my boat we rigged it up cheap. Bought a Honda engine. You could control throttle up front but we used the gigs to steer. It was easy but I was 20. Lol. I got the prop, hub and pulley for alternator from Arrowprop, but I’m pretty sure you can buy everything from Overboard Customs. I was wanting another flounder boat but something is going to happen with flounder regulations before it’s all over with, and I’m not sure it’s going to be worth the money.

Comment

Google up Lonestar airboats, or catch them on YouTube

Comment

I used a 3.5 hp Briggs and a radiator fan, the older metal ones on a 1648 one time. About quarter throttle was all it took.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                  When I had my boat we rigged it up cheap. Bought a Honda engine. You could control throttle up front but we used the gigs to steer. It was easy but I was 20. Lol. I got the prop, hub and pulley for alternator from Arrowprop, but I’m pretty sure you can buy everything from Overboard Customs. I was wanting another flounder boat but something is going to happen with flounder regulations before it’s all over with, and I’m not sure it’s going to be worth the money.
                  Hey Phillip. You are right, Overboard sells a lot of the parts a pieces needed for a flounder boat, but I shopped around and bought a lot of the same stuff 30-40% cheaper.
                  I bought my prop and hub from arrowprop also, the guy there in knows his stuff but he doesn't know flounder boats. He kept trying to talk me into a 42" prop with more pitch than I wanted.

I had a 22 HP Kohler still in the box since 2005 so I used it, a lot of people use a 13hp Honda. The bigger motor gives me the ability to push into the wind, turn the 100 amp alternator at at an idle, and throttle up when I get stuck on grass or sand and get off it.

Things to consider when you are choosing a motor and prop
                  Boat length and width, draft, weight.
                  Lighting, either 12v ran off batteries and alternator, or 125v ran off gas generator. If you are running 12v, how many lights and what is the amp draw. It can take 3-5hp just to run the alternator

Jerry at Jerry's LED's is a great source of info
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
                    Yeah, the whole motor sits on a base that pivots side to side. The steering cable turns the motor side to side and then you have the ignition switch and throttle. There are different ways to set that up. Most use small Honda motors and you need to match the size of the motor to the size of the boat or you'll go too fast or too slow. They often have an alternator to power the floundering lights. Usually the motor has a pulley and belt to turn the alternator and it is mounted to the side.

Check with Jerry's LEDs on lights. He can give you alot of info on setup and sourcing parts too. I'd also suggest going on a gigging trip or two so that you can see how everything is suppose to work and know what you need and what you don't need.
                    There is something I did not think about, I like the alternator idea. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
                      Hey Phillip. You are right, Overboard sells a lot of the parts a pieces needed for a flounder boat, but I shopped around and bought a lot of the same stuff 30-40% cheaper.
                      I bought my prop and hub from arrowprop also, the guy there in knows his stuff but he doesn't know flounder boats. He kept trying to talk me into a 42" prop with more pitch than I wanted.

I had a 22 HP Kohler still in the box since 2005 so I used it, a lot of people use a 13hp Honda. The bigger motor gives me the ability to push into the wind, turn the 100 amp alternator at at an idle, and throttle up when I get stuck on grass or sand and get off it.

Things to consider when you are choosing a motor and prop
                      Boat length and width, draft, weight.
                      Lighting, either 12v ran off batteries and alternator, or 125v ran off gas generator. If you are running 12v, how many lights and what is the amp draw. It can take 3-5hp just to run the alternator

Jerry at Jerry's LED's is a great source of info
                      Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by t_willy View Post
                        You will not have rudders with an air motor. The complete motor turns by wire. Give Overboard Custom Boats a call. He can answer any questions you may have and can get you set up with a prop and any other parts you may need.
                        Thanks.

Comment

Call arrowprop, they'll fix you up with everything you need. There's a fan setup on Craigslist east Texas for $750. Iv never flounder giged but iv had a few fan boats. Of you have any specific questions pm me.

Comment

aren’t they talking about outlawing gigging ? what came of that ? i would be leary of building a boat now when it could be obsolete real quick just a thought

Comment

I am going to buy a 14 to 16 ft. aluminum flat bottom. I keep finding boats with mud motors on them. I have found those set ups cheaply. I keep thinking, buy one of those boats, use the four stroke V twin Predator engine for the long tail mud motor set up. Then pull that long shaft off and use it to mount a prop on. But now after reading, not sure if that's a good idea, because I don't know what size those Predator engines are and what size engine I would need for a 14' boat. But if those are the right size, that would give me a boat and then a engine for the fan. But then I have found some very good condition 14' boats, very cheap. I want to get a boat picked up, then work on getting it set up.
                              I could use it as a river boat most of the year, maybe a little flats fishing, then island hopping a bunch of spoil islands I know of, hunting for flat fish. Our last two floundering trips were not very productive. Then my wife and daughter, who love to flounder, would stop and refuse to go any farther, once we ran into a spot that had marine mud. I decided I really want to set up a flat bottom boat as a flounder boat, then go island hopping all night long. Wife could sleep in the boat, once she gets tired, then the daughter and I can flounder all night.

Again, thanks for the info, if anyone has any other ideas, info, that has not been pointed out, I would like to hear it. All of my floundering has been done by walking and stabbing. With my buddies years ago, we would cover a lot of ground at night, but my wife and daughter, refuse to go a lot of places my buddies and I would go. So I know a flounder boat is the solution to the problem. That would allow us to flounder a lot of places I have wanted to for many years. We used to take a boat out to some islands at night, but then walked the islands once we got to them.

Comment

Working...
                              X