No announcement yet.

Trucks Today What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see vehicles as tools, especially trucks. I’ll pay what I need to for the right tool. That said I don’t buy new trucks. They depreciate too fast, especially for the miles I put on them.

Good 2-4 year old used trucks can be had at a significant savings and still have plenty of life left in them. Chances are they already have the bumps and bruises on them anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

What about no onions?

Comment

I absolutely abused my last truck using it as my lease vehicle and daily driver right out the gate. It was a 2014 F150 4x4. I now drive a 2018 GMC Sierra and it gets babied, bought a 1999 Cherokee on here as my lease vehicle. I mean I'm not scared to get it muddy or put 1000 pounds of corn in the bed of the truck but this one doesn't go in the brush.

Comment

It 100% blows my mind to pay 50k, much less 70k on a truck.....buy a 2005 model... scoop that joker for 2500-3k. If it last more than 4 months you are already ahead! You can buy a "new" truck like that every 2 years for the next 48 YEARS and still come out ahead! Ridiculous when you think about the annual cost of ownership for these brand new trucks!

Comment

I go through a lot of trucks at work. I'm a maintenance shop foreman and we run over 100 field trucks. my last group that I bought ran $48,500 for f350 fleet model trucks w/o a bed on them. I usually replace 20 per year.

Comment

Think about what your iphone costs, compared to the old Nokia, or flip phone. Seems outrageous. Now think about everything that iphone does now, and all the other crap it raplaces, and how much more capable it is, and how much longer it lasts.

Trucks are the same way, if you use the features available. They last almost twice as long as they did 25 years ago, they have almost twice the power, they require less maintenance, creature comforts are out of this world, and they get better mileage (as a whole, not some diesels).

It's kinda silly, but not nearly as outrageous as some want to think.

Comment

I WFH so my trucks last a long time, and I still have my 06 150 I gave to my son. 30K is my limit on a used truck, and prefer something in the 25k to 28k range. Clean used ones are hard to find, but it can be done and you just have to keep searching. I make a good living, but I'm not going to pay that kind of money on a truck.

Comment

I usually buy mid-range to upper mid-range trucks and don't even thin twice about Texas pinstripes, dings, and scuffs from day one. It's just gonna happen if I use it. I would be less than excited about a meaningful dent though.

Comment

I see a lot of the younger new hires out here in the oil patch with more money than sense that will easily drop 100k on a truck and the upgrades. lifts, lights, wheels, you name it

Comment

I’ll be honest, I’m careful with my truck. It isn’t the nicest truck but I like to take care of my things. I have no problem using it like a truck, but I still try to avoid bangs if I can.

Edit: My truck was nowhere near 50k when I bought it used in 2012.

Comment

I beat the hell out of my truck. Mud, sand, water, brush, I don’t care. But it didn’t cost $50k. It’s been paid off now for about 6 years and I’m not getting a new one until this one rusts away.

Comment

I only have a truck because I have to pull. I’m the guy guilty of driving a Prius on hunting trips and leaving the truck in the driveway.

Comment

Trucks cost more today because manufacturers can sell them for higher prices primarily due to longer financing.

They look at the data and say ***,*** number of people can afford a monthly payment of $***.

They figured out that if they could finance for longer terms, that monthly payment number could stay the same and they could raise the cost and still sell the number of vehicles that they targeted.

Take 3% interest and a $700 car payment. This is how much truck that gets you on different notes.

36 months - $24,000
                            48 months - $32,000
                            60 months - $40,000
                            72 months - $46,000

Used to people used to go 36 months on a car note. Now dealers know they can stretch you to 72 months and you'll justify borrowing double the money for the same monthly payment which means they can push prices much much much higher than they could just a few years ago.

Believe me, if you had to pay cash for a truck they would cost much much less than they are selling them for today.

Comment

Note to self: look here before buying a used tbh truck

Comment

I buy new, used trucks can break down, aint got no time for that, time is money. I am referring to our work trucks.

Comment

Working...
                                X