Buy land or a rent house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy land or a rent house?

Sold the place in Woodson a few months back. Missed out on doing a 1031 exchange as I couldn’t find anything I liked in the allotted timeframe. So just paid the taxes on the capital gains.

Still sitting on some cash and I reckon it’s burning a hole in my pocket. No sense in just keeping it in a checking account.

We own 2 other rent houses and would like more some day possibly. But I’m kinda missing owning my own dirt too. Found a place I like that’s small, wouldn’t require a lot of maintenance for around $250k. That’s about what I would spend on a rental house as well. I’m torn as I love having a place to hunt but I also like the passive income on rent houses. Gimmee some advice green screen [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m in the same boat. I change my mind daily on what I want to do. I’m zero help but in for responses.

Comment

I know we have talked recently, but I am selling 4 rent houses and buying land. I feel like I can always buy houses later on, but I want the land before my kids get all grown up.

We bought our rentals before the market went crazy and the increase in property taxes due to the higher appraisals are making harder to hang onto them. If you are buying outright, youll still cashflow, but the returns may be better somewhere else until the market settles down

Comment

I am meeting my realtor at that place 10 am tomorrow I was telling you about. My gut says buy a rental as I feel it’s probably a better investment that can cash flow. My heart says buy land as I can still deduct the interest on the note and have a great place to make memories with family and friends.

Comment

I sold my hunting land 3 years ago to buy a commercial strip center. It was the right thing to do at time but I haven’t hunted in 3 years except a elk hunt last year. Decided a few months ago I was finding another piece of land. Found a great place in Oklahoma and close the end of month.

Comment

You can give it to me and I'll let ya know
            I'd say it depends on how you hunt. If you like to hunt local more, buy some land you like and get after it. If you like going out of state to hunt, buy another rent house, enjoy the extra income for the future, and go on some out of state hunts ( you're still making income so can change your mind later)

Comment

Originally posted by armadillophil View Post
              I sold my hunting land 3 years ago to buy a commercial strip center. It was the right thing to do at time but I haven’t hunted in 3 years except a elk hunt last year. Decided a few months ago I was finding another piece of land. Found a great place in Oklahoma and close the end of month.
              I sold our place to fund a new business venture in 2012. Great business decision, but still breaks my heart when I think about that awesome place. I sold that business venture in March 2019....so who knows what's next.

Comment

Buy land

Comment

I sold my investment real estate and bought hunting land. Best thing I ever did.

It brings me so much more enjoyment than the houses or their returns ever did.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                    I sold our place to fund a new business venture in 2012. Great business decision, but still breaks my heart when I think about that awesome place. I sold that business venture in March 2019....so who knows what's next.

Comment

I would buy several lower end rent houses and use the cash flow from these to buy land. Or buy land and put a mobile home on it to rent out, and partially cover the payment for the land. I did this, and now 4 years later just moved into my new home I built on my hunting land. The old mobile home is being moved out next Monday to another property I own to generate more rent. An inexpensive MH can be a cash flow machine!

Comment

No updqte

Comment

It’s all about cash flow... if you have sufficient cash flow to meet your needs (and desires) spinning some off into land held for appreciation and enjoyment isn’t a bad idea. I’m doing both right now, hopefully both work out but neither will kill me if they don’t. You can always sell either one. The new ranch build/remodel/try to cash flow a cattle ranch DIY thread will be up after closing!

Comment

Working...
                          X