Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the help

Comment

I buy all my steel from Aldo!!! Great guy and the steel is top notch.

Comment

Aldo's website is confusing and hard to navigate for sure. The steel I have gotten from them has been top notch though. I have heard the site is not very up to date on what they have.

My last few purchases have been from Admiral and I have no complaints.

Comment

I purchase my stuff from Jantz and njsb

Comment

Ditto on Aldo!
            Much of Aldo's steel is, from what I researched, formulated specifically for the knife maker and to Aldo's own specs.
            All the steel I have gotten from him has been clean and pure and I almost never have problems with it. His 1095 is the best I have ever used. I also like his 80CrV2 and 51200 for my blades. I will take Aldo's steel over Alpha or Jantz x 10.
            Shipping costs for steel is never going to be cheap because of it's weight.
            Now if I could just find me some good USA made damascus for cheap

Comment

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
              Are you saying that 1095 (or any other steel) bought from steel baron is going to be better than 1095 (or any other steel) bought at Jantz or Texas Knifemaker? I thought 1095 was 1095, and it was pretty much all the same.
              Sam correct 1095 is 1095 however 3/16 steel from Aldo is .210 from Jantz I'm lucky if its even .185. Jantz cost more for a piece of pitted steel that I have to run through my surface grinder to give me a good enough piece of steel that I can sell to my customers.
              just not a good value on steel!

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                Ditto on Aldo!
                Now if I could just find me some good USA made damascus for cheap
                Lol, if you find a unicorn, let me know.

Alabama Damascus is USA made, and cheap relative to some of the other options. Good-ish, at least. Not my favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
                  Lol, if you find a unicorn, let me know.

Alabama Damascus is USA made, and cheap relative to some of the other options. Good-ish, at least. Not my favorite.
                  Once cold weather gets here and I can stand the heat from my forge I will solve the problem myself------------------maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by 1shot View Post
                    Where do you buy your steel and what kind to you prefer?

Thanks
                    To answer last part of the original question, I like 1095 overall for hardness and sharpness and edge holding for the amount of work I have to do with it to get a good blade. 80CrV2 or 1084+ as some have called it is the easiest for me to work , grind and heat treat and have great edge holding and not rust as bad as some, therefore I use more 80Crv2 than anything else. 51200 is some badd azz steel but requires a lot of time to heat treat properly. It takes a scary sharp edge and will keep it thru a lot of use. No matter what steel the final result is always in the heat treatment. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. I like Aldo's carbon steels since it comes annealed is easy to grind and doesn't always require the normalizing steps that some steels do.

Comment

Man its been a while since I've made anything. Life got in they way but I actually got to where I enjoyed working with D2 the best, and there was a guy in Arlington that was selling it for prices that Aldo sold 1095.

Comment

I like 52100. As well I have gotten into making my own Damascus

Comment

Working...
                        X