What’s your Experience on Conservation hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What’s your Experience on Conservation hunts

Thinking of doing a conservation hunt this coming spring. Question is which is normally the best state. Do you really kill that many Geese. What have you experienced.

Its hit or miss, when you get into them ya you can knock some birds down. But honestly most days are average at best. Its just the way hunting snow geese goes.

Comment

me and my wife went to Arkansas a couple years ago. It was a lot of fun. I would recommend going for at least 2-3 days of hunting. Our first day was kind of slow, but the second day was much better. We ended up taking 65 geese home with us. The 100+ bird days you see posted are not the norm.

Comment

I can say there are tons of geese in Colorado along the front range. Just east of and west of I-25 is always loaded, they are resident geese mostly.

Comment

When you are laying in the right field there is really nothing like it. That being said over the 3 hunts I’ve been on only 1 was insane. The other 2 the birds decided to use the neighbors field (7-800 yards away)and we scratched out about 6 birds between 10 people. No matter how many birds we kill the experience of all those birds flying over is amazing.

Comment

You certainly can, if conditions are right.

We never went though the time and money of setting up sky carp spreads, but I’d bet I’ve killed thousands sneaking ditches when I was younger.

It use to be a lot less trouble before all of the “guides” started leasing fields for late geese. No one cared if you snuck geese. Now you’re liable to have some a-hole with out of state tags try to run you off for trying to shoot geese on your own cousins field ��

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
              You certainly can, if conditions are right.

We never went though the time and money of setting up sky carp spreads, but I’d bet I’ve killed thousands sneaking ditches when I was younger.

It use to be a lot less trouble before all of the “guides” started leasing fields for late geese. No one cared if you snuck geese. Now you’re liable to have some a-hole with out of state tags try to run you off for trying to shoot geese on your own cousins field ��
              And the biggest issue you will run into is the outfitter not having access to the field the birds are using so he will put you in a field with a good flight path. You will see teens of thousands of birds but may not even shoot.

Just bc you can use electronic calls doesnt mean the birds become stupid. And as far as unplugged gun, you still only get 2-3 quality shots and after that your just sky blasting hoping a golden bb strikes.

Its awesome to see all those birds. Its alot of work putting out and picking up the spread. But as said the 100+ days are not the norm and everything has to come together for a decent to good hunt. You need to plan on 3-5 day hunt.
              Last edited by CTR0022; 11-20-2020, 10:55 AM.

Comment

If you haven't experienced the snow geese migration, you need to. Its a sight to see and worth every penny for 1 tornado to take place over your head.
                The mound city area (kansas) gets alot of foot traffic with a bunch of guides. I hear its amazing if you can get lucky..never been..
                I go to northern Arkansas area in early February. Birds are still down and just pray for a sunny blue bird day with south winds.
                I have only hunted with Matt @ Top Gun Guide service. I recommend them and do a good job getting you on the birds.
                Your average kill rate will probably be 20 birds a day.. Best we have done was 72 and it was epic.. cant imagine that 100bird day.

Comment

Conserve your ammo and blast em

Comment

It’s hit or miss, it’s still snow goose hunting. A lot depends on how good the snow goose hatch is. Lots of juvies and you will have decent hunting. The 100+ bird days are anomalies. But if you hit things right it can happen. We go to Arkansas every year for the opening of conservation season. I honestly don’t remember how many years now, at least 6. We hunt with Northern Skies Outfitters. Our outfitter has told us, that Arkansas is the most consistent(and he chases them up through the Dakotas and into Canada)Iowa and the Dakotas can be amazing, but it’s feast or famine there, with a good dose of famine. Missouri, everyone is concentrated around Squaw Creek, the geese get absolutely hammered there now that there are so many outfitters. Hunting the early part of the season in Arkansas, there are still wintering geese there, and further south, so migration days, you will get traffic, and you will be able to hunt feed fields if it’s not a migration day.

Comment

Its something ibe always wanted to experience but have never been able to....I hunted speckled bellies on the prarie in garwood and eagle lakes and South Louisiana as well, but I've never been in a tornado of snow geese....bucket list for certain

Comment

Thanks for the in put

Comment

Ttt

Comment

I hunted snows in the Stuttgart, AR area in early February a couple years back with Snow Addictions Guide service. We did a 3 day trip and averaged around 30 birds per day. It was a blast and I believe we would have done better if the weather allowed. We got hit with heavy rain on the last day of our hunt. You'll never forget hearing half a dozen shotguns firing every shell they have into a flock. I remember our guide telling us to aim with the first shot and point the gun at the thick spots after that. We had a couple close calls with geese falling at our feet. It would suck to get hit with an 8 pound goose from 40 yards up.

Comment

110 recovered on the Lisse Prairie about 20 years ago. Had the Snow Goose Tornado drop into our spread with the Ecall going. We let some land and then popped up and shot “amongst” them. I had my 10g with 5 T shot magnums. I know on several of the shots 3 birds fell not to mention wounded. We chased and killed cripples and picked up dead for several hours. Cleaned them in the field and took the meat to Vinceks Meat Market / Smokehouse in East Bernard and had slim jims and jalapeño cheese summer sausage out of them. They were actually really good. Haven’t goose hunted since. I doubt I could ever top that one.

Comment

Working...
                              X