Powderhorn Live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gwellstx View Post
    First things first. More than luck, if it weren’t for the guys I share a fire with, that Sambar wouldn’t have been in my hands. Not only did I have to Google Sambar Deer, I had to Google Powderhorn WMA. These guys started including me in the draw a long time ago and I didn’t really fully understand what we were doing. The only thing I figured correctly was that someday we MIGHT get lucky and I could figure it out from there.

On this hunt we guessed that covering as much ground as possible seemed like a good enough strategy. I had Fargus’ SxS so I would walk up the roads several hundred yards and glass around then double back to the buggy, move up some more and repeat. I wanted to take it slow enough that I only covered my intended ground once so that I wasn’t disturbing anyone else. You know, be loud as quietly as possible. The rest isn’t too much of a story. On one leg of my “move up the buggy” method I looked up and saw an enormous body with a tall set of head gear and knew I had to shoot. He was there just looking at me as I rounded the corner. Quartering hard to me I put the crosshairs on his forward shoulder and whammy.
    Lucky? Heck yes!! Blessed? Absolutely!!!
    Absolutely awesome experience and it’s been really cool seeing everyone following along and reading the comments. I can’t wait to see how the rest of the hunt plays out.
    Harrell is cleaning his WT now and I’m fingers crossed that I hear Fargus drop the hammer this afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris and Chris are great guys for sure! You’re definitely in good company with them.

Comment

Sambar hind down!! Waiting on reinforcements to arrive and get her out of the swamp.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by charrell71 View Post
        Sambar hind down!! Waiting on reinforcements to arrive and get her out of the swamp.

Heck yeah! Congrats

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by charrell71 View Post

Yeah, way to go!

Comment

Whack and stack fellas.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                Chris and Chris are great guys for sure! You’re definitely in good company with them.

Truth!!!

Comment

Well, the .338 barked and the sambar hind took a little nap. She travelled all of 36" straight down.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
                    Well, the .338 barked and the sambar hind took a little nap. She travelled all of 36" straight down.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                    Awesome, just awesome

Comment

So was this a Chris double? As in both Chris’s got hinds??

Comment

As soon as she showed up she would have taken a dirt nap in my opinion. Great thread guys

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                          So was this a Chris double? As in both Chris’s got hinds??
                          Yes sir!

Comment

I was going to post 20 min after you said in 20 min...

Awesome!

Comment

So today's recap. Greg (gwellstx) and I started the day riding the utv to promising areas to glass and stalk for sambar. On our 4th or 5th spot, we stalked around 600 yards in the marsh. While looking for sambar, we notice 2 whitetail does about 250 yards out heading right for us. My wife had given me specific instructions to bring meat home, so as they closed the gap, I got ready for my shot. They got within 40 yards and I straight shot over the lead does back with my 7mm mag.[emoji2959] They run out to around 225-250 yards, and I smack the doe I missed. Get her back and cleaned up, run into town for ice and I'm back for more. Realize my backpack is in the SxS with my 7mm ammo at the other end of our compartment . Time to breakout the .308. I hit a few more spots and saw nada. Went to a solar well pond for the 3rd time today, hoping to see a sambar there, as it looked perfect. Lo and behold, 150 yards away in the pond, stands a sambar hind. Get on the sticks and hit her good. She stumbles to the bank and hesitates, so another round she gets. After getting assistance from the WMA staff, we get her back and cleaned up. Back at the rental house now and recuperating. [emoji16] Sorry for the long read, but I was excited killing a sambar. These things are HUGE!!

Comment

Congrats

Looks like you will have enough meat now

Comment

Working...
                                X