Missing hunter found dead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
    That is the correct way of using the GPS/compass combo. I have a question for those that use a phone GPS. If you can't get signal, can you still use the GPS function on the phone?
    Yes, at least with most apps. GPS is independent of the data.

Comment

So sad. Prayers for his family.
      Adios,
      Gary

Comment

Sad deal for sure. Prayers for the family.

Comment

Anyone know how old he was?

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
            That is the correct way of using the GPS/compass combo. I have a question for those that use a phone GPS. If you can't get signal, can you still use the GPS function on the phone?
            The GPS on your phone uses the same positioning satellites any other gps uses. Completely independent of cell service. That said, just like any gps, if down in a canyon or something where your unit can't "see" three satellites, you'll lose connection l.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Sad news, can’t find anything on it other than country music guy asking for help to find him.
              Prayers up

Comment

Terrible news and for a hog! I shot one Friday about an hour before dark. I was going to go back and get it, but roads were getting slick and we had just lost power, I decided it was not worth it.

We have hunted our place 320 ac for 20 years. Not an inch of the property I haven’t explored. But Saturday with a blanket of 3” of snow, I found myself turned around. I had crossed a road and never even realized it til I was a 100 yards deep into the woods.

Even on that small property that is 1 mi long and 1/2 mi wide, if I head out on foot, I carry essentials for making a fire and basic shelter

Comment

I don’t understand all those referencing he fact that he was after a hog. It makes no difference what the animal was. Why even say that? He was hunting and pursuing the game he shot, and got lost.

It’s not like he decided the risk of death was worth it for a hog vs a 12 point buck.

Comment

It just shows that when your head is down and you are looking for blood and the adrenaline is pumping it is easy to make mistakes or get lost. Hope this tragedy helps someone from making the same mistake. Always go prepared to spend the night in the woods if something happens! Very sad deal. Prayers for this man, his family and friends. RIP

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                      I don’t understand all those referencing he fact that he was after a hog. It makes no difference what the animal was. Why even say that? He was hunting and pursuing the game he shot, and got lost.

It’s not like he decided the risk of death was worth it for a hog vs a 12 point buck.
                      A hog isn’t a game animal. I view it as lower value quarry. That’s my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                        A hog isn’t a game animal. I view it as lower value quarry. That’s my opinion.

Well to some a hog may be lower on their list of animals. It just strikes me as strange to even equate this loss of life with the actual animal he shot. I wasn’t picking on you, and you are not the first to mention that it was due to a hog. His death is no less a tragedy searching for a hog vs getting lost in mountains tracking an Elk.

Comment

A sobering reminder our sport can become deadly. Prayers for the family !!

Comment

That's simply a terrible situation.....nightmare.

Only took me once.....

I have ALWAYS carried a COUPLE of compasses (1 on a lanyard, the other in the backpack) ever since. $20 investment that has proven to be invaluable on more than one occasion over the past 4+ decades.

I also try and orient my truck/myself by eyeball to something if possible. Cell tower, fence, hill, creek, road/hwy, etc. You never know when you'll have GPS issues. I always screenshot the property with my trucks/blinds location (if I've got em set up) Again, you never know when you might experience GPS issues. Also I carry 2 brick USB phone batteries.....redundancy.

Also, I was taught "3 shots" in succession......carry plenty of ammo.
                            Last edited by Slicefixer; 01-04-2021, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Continued prayers.

Comment

Horrible. It CAN happen to anybody.

Comment

Working...
                                X