Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BobbyJoe View Post
    I always thought 3 is pretty much standard
    On the internet, 3 shot groups are standard... with whatever size coin it takes to hide the other 2.

Call me a cynic, but if it shoots "1/4 inch all day with every ammo" and someone shows you one 3 shot group, then you are probably not getting told the whole story.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

My Axis 25-06 with 100 grain corelokt ammo can get close. And that is with the factory stock, trigger, scope etc. It more depends on how I’m shooting that day. Working on reloads for it now.

Comment

Buddy sent this to me today. Can one expect to achieve this sort of accuracy out of a low cost rifle, say under $500, or do you need spend some money to get there? Factory loads at 100yds.
        I am in the group that says no. Have your friend shoot five 3 shot groups or three 5 shots groups on a single target. This will more indicative of how well the rifle shoots. A single cherry picked group doesnā€™t count as a acccuracy standard. If it can be repeated on a regular basis then thats a different story.

Believe it or not the rifle is only a part of the equation.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
          I am in the group that says no. Have your friend shoot five 3 shot groups or three 5 shots groups on a single target. This will more indicative of how well the rifle shoots. A single cherry picked group doesnā€™t count as a acccuracy standard. If it can be repeated on a regular basis then thats a different story.

This.

Comment

Here's the 200yd group
            Attached Files

Comment

This. My weatherby vanguard shoots under 1moa easily, but .1 I donā€™t think so. The other part of the issue is that I also can not shoot .1moa unless itā€™s a random stars align target but no way Iā€™m doing it 5-6 times on the same target

Comment

My Ruger american predator 6.5 will shoot sub MOA.

My shilen built 243 will shoot little clover leafs.

They are a world apart.

Comment

So is your friend shooting a budget rifle and you're not believing those groups are possible or are you trying to replicate for less?

Just curious since you posted another group

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Bingo

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

My Bergera is extremely accurate...a lot more accurate than yours. You are 5ā€ high and 2ā€ right....that kind of sucks

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                        So is your friend shooting a budget rifle and you're not believing those groups are possible or are you trying to replicate for less?

Just curious since you posted another group

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
                        Replicate for same price

Comment

I shoot a savage .308, they suggested using Hornady .168 gr. Bullets they cost a little more but if you’re just using it for hunting 1 box should last @ least a couple yr.s, I shoot several rd.s just to make sure it,s still “on” after that one shot one kill so 5 rd.s will fill the freezer. If you want to practice during the yr. use some cheaper stuff but remember to resiste to the ammo your going to hunt with. I like the savage cause it has the accutrigger. I had one in 22.250 and had to sell it to a friend he uses it for deer and hogs,say,s it,s the most accurate gun he,s ever shot. For hogs 1 shot behind the ear and drop dead

Comment

Replicate for same price
                            It is possible, but not normal.

I think if you match the bullet weight to the twist rate and buy match factory ammo then you should be able to get most bolt action rifles to shoot close to MOA.

Anything below this is probably considered a lucky draw. It happens, but the original question was should it be expected. At $500, I would expect 1.25 and hope for 0.75. Unless you are seriously competing, the difference is minor anyway.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve seen a few tikkas that have done that, and one browning. Believe it or not there are a few air rifles that have done it.

Comment

Budget Rifle Accuracy

Buddy sent this to me today. Can one expect to achieve this sort of accuracy out of a low cost rifle, say under $500, or do you need spend some money to get there? Factory loads at 100yds.

Iā€™m a terrible shot but the best groups I have shot consistently have been a Remington 700 22/250 sps with a Nikon coyote scope and a savage model 110 .270 with a Simmons scope.

I bought the sps for under $300 from dicks once I got the rebate from Remington and I bought the savage for around $200 from a sunbelt mechanic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Last edited by Black Ice; 12-11-2020, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X