No announcement yet.

Semi Live from S Texas - Nilgai, Whitetail and Hogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After all that walking I’d let them come to me. That looks like a great spot to sit in the shade and relax. Something will come to water in this heat

Comment

Agreed. Find a good shady spot and stay put. Something will come for a drink

Comment

Well, I struck out again. I had a small bull come to the water but never could get a shot. I had a whitetail blowing at me. I had to leave out a little early because I didn't have a for sure trail to go down, so I wanted to make sure I got back to a known trail before dark. On the way out, I took a shot at a running cow and missed. I could have shot hew calve, but I just couldn't shoot it. It wasn't even scare of me and never ran off. I got to about 6ft from it. What can I say, im an old softy. Anyway, another 6 miles today.
        Attached Files

Comment

Just now seeing this and caught up. Best of luck to ya.

Bucket list animal for me.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck Carey!

Comment

Awesome thread. Keep it up

Comment

If you shoot a nilgai way back in there what’s the plan for getting it Out?

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
                  If you shoot a nilgai way back in there what’s the plan for getting it Out?
                  One Piece at a time. I could get game cart down the main fence in about 1.5 miles. My plan was to quarter it in the field and hike it out to my game cart. That was the plan anyways

Comment

To do my wrap up, I decided not to hunt today and come on home. I have a busy week ahead, and bunch of honey dos, and planning on heading the the lease Thursday night. I really enjoyed my hunt even though I did shoot anything. I pushed myself further than I thought I could. I logged close to 20 miles in 3 days with a 20lb pack & 9lb gun in close to 90 degree weather. I saw some land that hasn't been disturbed in close to 40yrs. I saw 3 bulls, about 10 cows, lots of hog, and a few other critter. I saw a Nilgai calf that didn't even seem scared of me, maybe because it had never seen anyone before. I know for my next trip like this, I need a better pair of boots, a better backpack than my $20 Academy. I think next time, I will take a better seat, and stay in one place more, instead of going to look for them. I want to thanks everyone that help me get my shotgun set up & ready to go. I also wanted to thanks everyone that reach out and help me when I was originally going to East Lake. This Schalaben Tract will be open next year for the draw system. With a little maintenance on the existing roads system that is there and with 3 entrances, it should be very easy to hunt.

Comment

Kid and I packed out 2 in two days from about 3 miles in. Deboned and in cheese cloth and packed out. I treated it just like a backcountry elk harvest

Comment

Also, I said yesterday that I head 3 shots from where I was earlier, I met the guy packing out a nick buck. He said he missed a bull earlier when I heard the shots. Also the blue lines on the maps is everywhere I walked. I covered aot of the unit
                        Attached Files

Comment

Awesome intel in this thread for future hunts.

Save that map in case you make it back down there.

Glad you had a good hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                            Well, I struck out again. I had a small bull come to the water but never could get a shot. I had a whitetail blowing at me. I had to leave out a little early because I didn't have a for sure trail to go down, so I wanted to make sure I got back to a known trail before dark. On the way out, I took a shot at a running cow and missed. I could have shot hew calve, but I just couldn't shoot it. It wasn't even scare of me and never ran off. I got to about 6ft from it. What can I say, im an old softy. Anyway, another 6 miles today.
                            Man he would have been good eating...

Comment

You crazy for not shooting the calf lol

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
                                You crazy for not shooting the calf lol
                                I couldn't shoot it, because it wasn't even scare of me. It just set there about 6ft from me. It didn't understand the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X