Balcones Canyonlands NWR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by howabouttheiris View Post
    I've hunted Unit 13 w my son several years ago.

He took a decent buck.

When we were there, it was 1 blind and most of the eastern field was obscured from view due to tall bushes along road in.

Just across the fenceline, NE of the blind, was a feeder that the neighbor had spinning. Deer was shot at 50 yards in the corner just west of the blind.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Very nice!

Comment

I hunted Unit 15 about 5 years ago.

The blind is up on a mesa, so the houses are not visible. It was a rough, narrow drive up the hill, so be careful if you choose to take the Corolla.

ONE CORRECTION: I noticed in your unit description that they added a designated parking spot at the bottom of the hill. Originally one would take the vehicle up to the top of the mesa.

I had issues with coyotes running deer off, but a friend shot the unit the following year and got a doe and a hog.

There are several older threads with reviews and photos of many of the units.

Good luck.

Last edited by howabouttheiris; 10-21-2020, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ATXRaider83 View Post
        Im in 1-3 on Dec 11th. My house is on 1174 about 1 mile from 1869 so I pass 1-14, 1-2 and 1-3 every day. I can say I've seen alot of deer including some big bucks from the road at 1-14 and 1-2. Usually right at daybreak. Theres not alot of deer out here and they are pretty skittish. However my neighbor has a trailcam and has pictures of some monsters. It will be nice to be within walking distance of my draw hunt from the house. I believe 1-13 is where they do the dove hunt every summer. Should be decent. They plant forage out there and there's a creek.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
        That's when my hunt is as well. I'll be in 1-2... Hopefully they'll be moving really well during that time!

About when is the rut typically out there?

Comment

I've hunted Unit 13 w my son several years ago.

He took a decent buck.

When we were there, it was 1 blind and most of the eastern field was obscured from view due to tall bushes along road in.

Just across the fenceline, NE of the blind, was a feeder that the neighbor had spinning. Deer was shot at 50 yards in the corner just west of the blind.

Good luck.

Thank you for your feedback on Unit 13.

Comment

Looks like I am in 1-15-A.

Comment

Originally posted by fakeworest View Post

looks like it has houses around it too...
              I am in that unit in Dec!

Comment

I'm pretty much in the middle of no where, so it should be a quiet weekend.

Comment

The deer are far and few but can be found. Just be quick. This is a buck I took almost 20 years ago from there.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I hunted Unit 15 about 5 years ago.

The blind is up on a mesa, so the houses are not visible. It was a rough, narrow drive up the hill, so be careful if you choose to take the Corolla.

ONE CORRECTION: I noticed in your unit description that they added a designated parking spot at the bottom of the hill. Originally one would take the vehicle up to the top of the mesa.

I had issues with coyotes running deer off, but a friend shot the unit the following year and got a doe and a hog.

There are several older threads with reviews and photos of many of the units.

Good luck.

Thanks for the intel. Hopefully the F-150 will handle it fine but yes they want you to park and walk a good 1000+ feet up the hill.

EDIT: Found your post from 2014. Great pics and info. You saw 7 bucks with no tags! Did you ever consider hunting out of the blind on either a lower tier of Mesa or in the front valley area?

Originally posted by .270 View Post
                    I am in that unit in Dec!
                    don't worry, I will save you a doe.
                    Last edited by fakeworest; 10-21-2020, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ATXRaider83 View Post
                      Im in 1-3 on Dec 11th. My house is on 1174 about 1 mile from 1869 so I pass 1-14, 1-2 and 1-3 every day. I can say I've seen alot of deer including some big bucks from the road at 1-14 and 1-2. Usually right at daybreak. Theres not alot of deer out here and they are pretty skittish. However my neighbor has a trailcam and has pictures of some monsters. It will be nice to be within walking distance of my draw hunt from the house. I believe 1-13 is where they do the dove hunt every summer. Should be decent. They plant forage out there and there's a creek.

I see on the video they say we can shoot exotics which wasn't advertised in the TPWD catalog. Any chance we will see Axis or know of other exotics in the area?

Comment

Originally posted by fakeworest View Post
                        I see on the video they say we can shoot exotics which wasn't advertised in the TPWD catalog. Any chance we will see Axis or know of other exotics in the area?
                        I saw that too but haven't seen any mention at all of anyone seeing exotics on any of the many threads I have read. Not once. So my guess is, highly unlikely.

Comment

Has anyone ever hunted unit 2 before? I found some positive stuff on it from back in 12'-13' timeframe.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakinthebox View Post
                            I saw that too but haven't seen any mention at all of anyone seeing exotics on any of the many threads I have read. Not once. So my guess is, highly unlikely.
                            Never seen or heard of an exotic out here

Comment

Drove around yesterday afternoon around 4pm just to get me bearings on a few places. Didnt see any deer but it was 90 degrees. Unit 13 had about 20 turkeys on the fenceline

Comment

Finally got my email yesterday. Looks like I will be in Unit 1-3 for the Dec 4-6 hunt. Looks like there are 7 people/groups in the unit and everyone has an assigned parking spot in that unit and mine is the furthest from gates, which I don't see as a bad thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X