Target "golf" challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Target "golf" challenge

The sub-MOA thread got me to thinking about a golf type challenge that a few of my buddies have been talking about. We all brag about how good we are; although we cherry pick the group for bragging rights. To see how good we actually are under the same weather conditions, same distance and can we actually hit what we are aiming at, not just group size, we came up with a challenge. We shoot at a public range so we based it on the timing between range hot to cease fire. The rules:

1. Warm up and sight in during first session
    2. 4 groups will be used for scoring (total of 20 shots)
    3. All groups shall consist of 5-shots
    4. Each individual group must be fired during one session (range hot to cease fire) approx 15-20 minutes.
    5. All shots are used to measure group (no mulligan’s)
    6. Total score shall be the group size (measure center-center) plus the distance from the point of aim (POA) to the center of the group as calculated using the OnTarget program.
    7. Total all 4 group scores (Group size+POA distance). Lowest total score wins (kind of like golf).

Assuming you can hit what you are aiming at (center of group to POA) and a 1" group average; par would be 4" for 100-yards.

I've tried it on my own; 8.89" total score. It is difficult to get 4 sub MOA 5-shot groups and the added challenge of the POA.

Give it a try.

I'd be down to make a little drive if anyone would want to try and get a group together at a range somewhere just to meet everyone and have a fun shoot.

Comment

Do you have any rules for gun type/caliber?

Comment

We talked about just using our hunting setup. It's all for fun and smack talk between buddies. We all talk big...and then there is reality.

We would be in the pony league not the PGA. I'm sure someone could show up with their 16 pound bench gun and put us all to shame.

Comment

I'd give it a go! Maybe make different classes as well if you were interested... (Hunting Class, AR-15, Ar-10, Competition) etc. Even it out for everyone.

See if we cant get everyone using the same target would be best. There are some printout targets out there you can use.

Comment

We have used this target (printed on an 8.5"x11" sheet of paper) as an online challenge in the past.

Shot at 100yards. Just break the inner solid black circle for a point. 16 holes on the page max.

Funny how many "sub-moa all day" guys have trouble getting just 16 in a row.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Here is a printable target that may work well for the 4 group golf.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

If all else fails, you can still burn some gunpowder, hang out with your buddies, and have some world class trash talking between friends.

friend 1: "how much did you say you spent on that rifle again, George?"
                friend 2: "shut the front door, Fred, I've told you 10 times that I am trying to figure out what bullets she likes!"
                friend 1: "maybe that's why you missed that doe standing broadside at 90 yards last year"

and the list goes on and on and on

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                  If all else fails, you can still burn some gunpowder, hang out with your buddies, and have some world class trash talking between friends.

friend 1: "how much did you say you spent on that rifle again, George?"
                  friend 2: "shut the front door, Fred, I've told you 10 times that I am trying to figure out what bullets she likes!"
                  friend 1: "maybe that's why you missed that doe standing broadside at 90 yards last year"

and the list goes on and on and on
                  Hey now that doe didn't have a bullseye on her

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
                    I'd be down to make a little drive if anyone would want to try and get a group together at a range somewhere just to meet everyone and have a fun shoot.
                    You have a good range between you and Georgetown? I’d give it a shot.

I will say. NONE of my rifles are sighted in at 100. Wouldn’t be hard to adjust it down a bit!
                    Last edited by trophy8; 05-21-2020, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                      You have a good range between you and Georgetown? I’d give it a shot.

I will say. NONE of my rifles are sighted in at 100. Wouldn’t be hard to adjust it down a bit!
                      It's pretty weak around here and I can't find anything over 300 unless we go south or west a little way. I don't necessarily want to drive to Kingsville to shoot but, if I do, I'm pulling up to the range with my boat as well...HAHA Not sure what you have around you or north but I can handle a little drive if necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
                        It's pretty weak around here and I can't find anything over 300 unless we go south or west a little way. I don't necessarily want to drive to Kingsville to shoot but, if I do, I'm pulling up to the range with my boat as well...HAHA Not sure what you have around you or north but I can handle a little drive if necessary.
                        Nothing really. It sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                          Nothing really. It sucks.
                          Have yall looked into Reveille Peak Ranch in Burnett? Clayton has put on PRS matches there and had shots out to 1500 yards. Another shoot coming up in September there as well.

Comment

I’m down to try it. Not sure about using the on target program to measure it, I’m not tech savvy. Do you just upload a picture of any target that’s on 8.5”x11” paper and it does the rest?

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
                              Have yall looked into Reveille Peak Ranch in Burnett? Clayton has put on PRS matches there and had shots out to 1500 yards. Another shoot coming up in September there as well.
                              No. Do they let the public shoot there? Heard of matches there only

Comment

Working...
                              X