Raised receiver hitch height by 4”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pull my 24’ lowboy 95% of the time, but needed my ball height raised by about 4”. Took my 3-ball receiver and chopped off the 2 5/16 ball. Cut 2 pieces of heavy-wall 4” square tubing and then found and old thick shank ball. Burned a hole in the top tubing and then slid the ball in and welded the bolt to all 4 sides of the inside of the tubing. Flipped it over and welded the top of the ball base. Then fitted it all together and welded it and then capped off the ends with heavy strap plate and welded it all together. Finished by shooting some black paint on it. She’s solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*****!

Comment

How short is your truck to need a ball raised that high

Note to self watch for runaway trailers around shiner

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
        How short is your truck to need a ball raised that high

Note to self watch for runaway trailers around shiner

Trailer is tall with axels below springs to navigate ravines and low water crossings in west TX.

Why would it be a runaway trailer???

Comment

Looks like the stuff I do. lol

Comment

You got bigger balls than me!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice knowing you bumper.....

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                You got bigger balls than me!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Guess I’m confused.

Comment

Originally posted by Czechfish View Post
                  Nice knowing you bumper.....

Guess I’m confused.

Comment

That there is some truck NUTZ!

Comment

I am going to have to say several comments are questioning the quality of your welds. Looking at your welds there appears to be inclusions and uneven penetration throughout. There is a lot riding on your welding ability. I have seen your pictures of truck and trailer loaded down to head west.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                        I am going to have to say several comments are questioning the quality of your welds. Looking at your welds there appears to be inclusions and uneven penetration throughout. There is a lot riding on your welding ability. I have seen your pictures of truck and trailer loaded down to head west.

LOL! She’s good-to-go! I’ve made no less than a dozen different receiver hitches for different applications over the years. Never had one fail. It’s welded every side as well as inside as far as I could reach on the bottom piece ( bottom saddled out) and then capped on both ends with 3/8 plate and that welded together on all 4 sides. It could pull a barge across the Atlantic. Guaranteed.

Last edited by TXBRASS; 08-17-2019, 05:00 PM.

Comment

I dont see anything wrong with it. Pretty good idea.

Comment

Although I am not a professional or schooled welder, my father is and he taught me to weld beginning when I was 7. I welded in his shop until I was 15 when I got a job at a structural welding company and worked there as well as dad’s shop until I was 20 when I joined the police force. I’m turning 40 this year and there hasn’t been a month that has gone by when I haven’t built something out of steel. You can search my posts and see the dozens of projects I have posted here. Anything from pits, to feeders, to trailers, to weight lifting equipment to deerstands, etc. many that have been licensed on the road for years now. My hat is off to the professionals and I realize I am just a weekend warrior when it comes to bringing steel together, but I have never had a weld fail...ever. My dad taught me and my brothers to make it twice as thick as necessary and flip it over a dozen times if necessary and weld every seam available no matter what. Not to mention that every load bearing weld on the big trailer this hitch is pulling, I made as well. It may not be the prettiest, but I’d bet the farm on its durability and longevity. Just how I was taught and how I’ve always done it.

Comment

And the bottom line is I sprayed it with Krylon, so that will hold it all together if all else fails! [emoji23]

Comment

Working...
                              X