DIY Fireplace Mantle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
    We are going with mesquite. My tight wad self is having trouble spending for a nice long, thick finished mantle, but the fireplace is kind of the focus point of the great room.

Hind site, I would have found my own tree years ago and let it season.

BP
    You need to have it kiln dried, or bugs will bore out of it leaving holes and little piles of sawdust.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      You need to have it kiln dried, or bugs will bore out of it leaving holes and little piles of sawdust.
      yep

Comment

You have the coolest tools.

Comment

Did you get a sawmill?

Looking forward to this. I did something similar but smaller!

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
            Did you get a sawmill?

Looking forward to this. I did something similar but smaller!
            Yes I did. I have a lifetimes worth of oak I can cut here on my place. It compliments my big vertical bandsaw that I have been using for resawing. As a result I have alot of stuff I can burn in my stove. Will have to think about building a small kiln so I can speed up the process of drying.

Thinking about trying to pressure wash the bark off that piece this morning.

Comment

Was able to debark the oak mantle piece and some cedar that I plan on making some live edge shelves with.

Last edited by sendit; 09-06-2019, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In to see the finished build!

Looking good!

Comment

Had a little time yesterday to mess with the mantle.

I bored four 1" holes 12" in the back of it to accept the steel rods. The mantle will be slid over them.

The Mrs. and myself rolled it into the house in preparation to mount it.

It was a snug fit but we managed to slide it over the rods.Took it back off and trimmed it up a bit and had to grind some of the rock to get it to fit up tight against the rock.

I used a pressure washer to de-bark the piece and the live edge is very interesting up close.

It still needs to be dried and finished sanded but the wife and I are liking the look.

Comment

Nice.

Comment

I have a 7" thick mesquite mantle with a limb coming out just like that!

Good job. I would love to have a saw like that. So cool.

Comment

Looking great so far.

Following.

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                            I have a 7" thick mesquite mantle with a limb coming out just like that!

Good job. I would love to have a saw like that. So cool.
                            Yeah , I can cut whatever thickeness I desire but weight becomes a factor. One day I am going to make a work bench out of some heavy thick cut oak.

Comment

Very nice.

Comment

great job! How do you like your saw? Been researching this for awhile and been looking at Norwood, Wood Mizer, and Woodland Mills. Any thoughts OP

Comment

Working...
                                X