• Show
Clear All

Wrapped back to the hook end.

Comment

Using peacock black ice dubbing

And the wax direct simple method.

Wrap the dubbing

Comment

[quote=SwampRabbit;11544470]Wife bought some fly tying stuff off of ebay. Primarily some thread for my son. The seller had some cheap tools (nearly 15 items) for $20 and a very small streamside vise for $8. Had her order both so I could see if they were decent enough for teaching scouts. Well, had to take 600 grit sandpaper to the bobbins to remove a bur, but other than that, they work pretty well.

Brought a couple of hooks, some foam, and some dubbing to work today to tie a few flies during lunch since I can't get my walk in today... Curious to see how well this small vise works out. Will try and take some pics.[/quot
        Truly an addictive habit. The most rewarding fishing is a catch on your own fly.
        Last edited by rbsears; 08-02-2016, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Btw, that vise is way cool. I take my stuff to tie all the time. That sir is neat!
          Last edited by rbsears; 08-02-2016, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Fold over the foam and tie in behind the eye... giving room for the head.

Cut off excess giving enough foam to squash and form head.

(I had to trim more than that...)

Then wrap head and whip finish (lock in thread and cut)

Comment

Forgot my glue for the head (Krazy glue) but here is the fly with final touches. Added spots and picked at the dubbing so that they move in the water like legs.

Comment

Okay, I have to admit... for $8, this is a darned nifty vise. Will never compete obviously with my peak rotary... but for what it is, it is kinda neat. It helps of course that I have tied and learned on a nicer vise.

The vise in my hand

Comment

In Salt Lake for work next week and packing my 3wt. Hopefully I'll have time to sneak away and get some fishing in. Right now it looks like Monday is my shot.

Anyone have recommendations on areas to check out?

Comment

One more...

Comment

Originally posted by rbsears View Post
                      Btw, that vise is way cool. I take my stuff to tie all the time. That sir is neat!
                      I had seen a pic of something similar but couldn't find a seller. Tried the xacto knife thing, but was left unimpressed. Then when my wife was looking for thread on ebay, the same seller sold cheap stuff. When she showed me it, I was like "yeah, I want that!"

This is my 3rd summer tying panfish flies. It is indeed alot of fun and rewarding.

Comment

Headed to Lower Mountain Fork tomorrow. Any advice on hatch/flies?

Comment

Originally posted by Crookhunter View Post
                          Headed to Lower Mountain Fork tomorrow. Any advice on hatch/flies?
                          I always run a red zebra midge dropper with great success

Comment

Going to drive over to the river next weekend and get some hoppers wet. Some big ones have been starting to bite! These were caught in the last few weeks (not by me, unfortunately).
                            Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

[QUOTEGoing to drive over to the river next weekend and get some hoppers wet. Some big ones have been starting to bite! These were caught in the last few weeks (not by me, unfortunately).[/QUOTE]

Sweet baby jebus that is a monster

What river are you talking about?

Comment

Working...
                                X