Duke trap help ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duke trap help ?

So today I found some of my old duke traps . I forgot all about them . Been laying out in the rain and weather probably two years. What’s the best thing to lube them with ? They still function but I think they are to hard to trigger . I’m starting to have a coon problem that I need to start working on .

Wire brush the rust off. Take a file to the latch if needed then dye and wax. Traps should be good

Comment

What brushsniper said. Take it easy on the wire brush.

Comment

Soak in vinegar for a day or two...it will remove the rust, wash off then dye and wax

Comment

What’s a good place to get the dye and wax ? I’m only doing 3 traps .
          Thanks guys .

Comment

I wouldn’t even worry about dye and wax. The coons will get in them. Just get them operational and throw some mini marshmallows in it.

Comment

Agreed....Vinegar or some kind of commercial rust /neutralizer remover and put them back out. I tried the paint thing afterwards but they beat them on feeder legs pretty bad when trying to get away and it doesn't last long. We use them and pull them after each weekend to put in storage. Just don't leave the dang things outside for long after you use them and they will last forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                Agreed....Vinegar or some kind of commercial rust /neutralizer remover and put them back out. I tried the paint thing afterwards but they beat them on feeder legs pretty bad when trying to get away and it doesn't last long. We use them and pull them after each weekend to put in storage. Just don't leave the dang things outside for long after you use them and they will last forever.

I smooth *** forgot about these . Found them with the shredder today.

Comment

R-P Outdoors has all your trapping supplies. Get you some coon urine while you're at it. It's a great cover scent.

Comment

Spray with wd 40. Work the mechanism and bait it. Do it all the time and coons are in it that night. You aren't trapping a wolf, just a dumb coon.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I use corn oil to lube my traps up, I like to think they smell like corn. I don't know if it helps or not, but they work.

Comment

Love the corn oil idea!

Comment

Corn oil and Dollar General cat food. You will be good to go.

Comment

Got the traps cleaned up last week . Brushed them up and hit them with some kroil on the trigger .Last night was the first chance I had to set them . Set 3 traps caught 2 coons . 3rd trap was triggered but no catch .

Comment

Working...
                            X