Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-20-2020, 07:51 PM   #1
Fargus
Ten Point

Hunt In: DeWitt
Default Boot Recommendations

Looking to hear some preferred boot brands for the mountains. I have had Schnee's and they were good, but there has to be better out there.

I have heard good things about Lowa and Crispi. Another one that caught my eye but am unfamiliar with is Zamberlan.

Last edited by Fargus; 09-20-2020 at 08:15 PM.
Fargus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2020, 07:54 PM   #2
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.

Salewa
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2020, 08:28 PM   #3
Darton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Just bought a pair of La Sportivas for an upcoming elk hunt! By far the most comfortable boot I have ever worn
Darton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2020, 08:43 PM   #4
Fargus
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Salewa
Any specific style?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darton View Post
Just bought a pair of La Sportivas for an upcoming elk hunt! By far the most comfortable boot I have ever worn
Which ones did you go with?
Old 09-20-2020, 09:05 PM   #5
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Irish setter
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2020, 09:34 PM   #6
Darton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
Any specific style?

Which ones did you go with?
I went with the Nucleo High GTX
Darton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2020, 09:39 PM   #7
ThisLadyHunts
Eight Point

Hunt In: Austin, Boerne, Wyoming, South America

I recently posted a similar question. My husband is going to South Dakota for pheasant and wanted something other than the snake boots he wears in Texas.

Several folks recommended Irish Setter Boots, so Sexy Meal Ticket went down to our local Red Wing store (I guess Irish Setter is a sister company to Red Wing?), picked up a pair, and has been wearing them each day to break them in. He has announced them very comfortable and likes how light-weight they are. He also mentioned they have a built-in membrane that serves as a moisture barrier, which he really thinks he’s going to be glad he has.
ThisLadyHunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2020, 11:19 PM   #8
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.

La Spotiva Trango Cube is what I run. It’s an actual mountain boot and handles the toughest terrain very well. Probably have 100 hiking miles on them by now
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2020, 11:41 PM   #9
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

Lowa. Put on and go. No break-in period and they are super comfortable.
Take Dead Aim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2020, 11:55 PM   #10
Tom
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocky Mountains, Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darton View Post
I will second this. I have used my la sportivas on many trips to the mountains and they are great.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2020, 02:32 AM   #11
Bowhuntamistad
Pope & Young

Kenetrek boots, the mountain extremes.
Bowhuntamistad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2020, 08:46 AM   #12
tgridley
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hays County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
Wear what the guides wear, most guides I know wear Kenetrek.
They are the best I have worn and I have tried most of the ones mentioned in this post.
tgridley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2020, 08:50 AM   #13
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

never heard of any of these boot brands other than Irish setters ... anyway, you need good boots but DO NOT overlook proper socks, makes all the difference in the world.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2020, 08:51 AM   #14
LOC4L
Four Point

Hunt In: Where I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeno View Post
Irish setter
Can't go wrong with a classic!
LOC4L is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2020, 09:24 AM   #15
MillsJake
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County, Kimble County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
Lowa. Put on and go. No break-in period and they are super comfortable.

I have the LOWA renagade GTX and love them. Best lace up boots ive used
MillsJake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2020, 09:30 AM   #16
MadHatter
Ten Point

Partial to Russells or Solomons myself.
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2020, 09:43 AM   #17
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.

Quote:
Any specific style?
depends how stiff you like. I got some of the mountain trainer mids and love em
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2020, 09:49 AM   #18
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
This
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2020, 09:50 AM   #19
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

I have Crispi Summits.

The Crispi Summits are the freakin awesome. I wouldn't change anything about them. Super comfortable and no break in.
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2020, 09:51 AM   #20
Crouton
Nubbin' Buck

I like my Salomon Quest 4d 3 GTX
Crouton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2020, 11:13 AM   #21
glen1978
Eight Point

Hunt In: Buena Vista, CO

I started in Colorado with Salomon Quest 4d and they broke down and sole started coming off. Bought some Zamberlan full leather hiking / trekking boots and they KILLED my feet. Took them back and went back to Salomons.....maybe a year and sole came lose. VERY comfortable but at $225-250 a pop I cant do that very often. I think I bought a cheap pair of Keens in the meantime.....not impressed at all. Went to Washington state to pick up a truck and stopped in Idaho at a Mom/Pop mens wear store (USA Carhartt, Filson, Kenetrek dealer) and talked to the old man that owned / ran it. Told him what I was after and he pointed at the Kenetrek Mountain Guide Extremes. Pointed at another old fella in there that was chewing the fat and said "hey Charlie how long you had them Kenetreks?......oh going on 10 yrs Id say....Ive sent them in once maybe twice to get rebuilt but I cant beat em." Bought a pair on the spot. GREAT boot! No break in. Keep them lathered up with Kenetrek oil and they are GTG. Ive started buying expensive boots that can be rebuilt. Dumped my crappy Danner Acadias at work for Wesco Firestormers. Buy once, cry once, rebuild as needed.
glen1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2020, 12:22 PM   #22
ElkTipper
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: San Saba, Oklahoma, New Mexico

Meindl
ElkTipper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2020, 01:52 PM   #23
Trevor73402
Ten Point

My advice to you is to go to an REI store (or wherever) and try on every brand boot they have. It does not matter how awesome someone on here says a particular boot is. It may/may not fit your foot the same. What works great for me, may be horrible for you. Different brand boots cater to certain types of feet. La Sportiva is known to be a narrower boot. Kenetreks are known to be a little wider than most. Some fit a high arch better. Some dont.
***Dont cheap out on boots. They are going to cost you $250+
***Dont buy your boots from Cabelas or Bass Pro.....they are all junk.

I’m a fan of Lowa boots. They just fit my foot well. For a lighter weight boot, the Zephyer GTX is nice. For a stiffer (backcountry elk hunt) boot, the Camino GTX is very nice.

The people who guide for a living and/or live out west, you don’t see them wearing Rocky, Danner, Irish Setter. There is a reason why...... I’m sure this will butt hurt some people, but I’m ok with that. When you are walking 200yds from your buggy to your blind, just about any boot will do. When you are walking 5+ miles a day with 50+ pounds on your back in rough terrain, the proper quality built footwear will make or break you.
Trevor73402 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2020, 01:58 PM   #24
glen1978
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor73402 View Post
My advice to you is to go to an REI store (or wherever) and try on every brand boot they have. It does not matter how awesome someone on here says a particular boot is. It may/may not fit your foot the same. What works great for me, may be horrible for you. Different brand boots cater to certain types of feet. La Sportiva is known to be a narrower boot. Kenetreks are known to be a little wider than most. Some fit a high arch better. Some dont.

Iím a fan of Lowa boots. They just fit my foot well. For a lighter weight boot, the Zephyer GTX is nice. For a stiffer (backcountry elk hunt) boot, the Camino GTX is very nice.

The people who guide for a living and/or live out west, you donít see them wearing Rocky, Danner, Irish Setter. There is a reason why...... Iím sure this will butt hurt some people, but Iím ok with that. When you are walking 200yds from your buggy to your blind, just about any boot will do. When you are walking 5+ miles a day with 50+ pounds on your back in rough terrain, the proper quality built footwear will make or break you.
^^^^THIS. Zamberlans were that way for me. Dont fit my feet. Most of the Italian made boots run narrower. I have narrowish feet and Kenetrek fit me fine.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:35 PM   #25
Fargus
Ten Point

Quote:

Iím a fan of Lowa boots. They just fit my foot well. For a lighter weight boot, the Zephyer GTX is nice. For a stiffer (backcountry elk hunt) boot, the Camino GTX is very nice.

The people who guide for a living and/or live out west, you donít see them wearing Rocky, Danner, Irish Setter. There is a reason why...... Iím sure this will butt hurt some people, but Iím ok with that. When you are walking 200yds from your buggy to your blind, just about any boot will do. When you are walking 5+ miles a day with 50+ pounds on your back in rough terrain, the proper quality built footwear will make or break you.
I really wish finding Lowas, Crispis and such locally was an option. This would be ideal, but I will have to order them since I can't find a local dealer with them in stock. I have zero intentions of going cheap though.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:46 PM   #26
BassMaster13
Four Point

Hunt In: SETX, WTX

Mountains is a lose term. Are you going to be hunting steep/ rocky nasty stuff or rolling foot hills/grassland. If you hunting rockslides and shale you might need a 8"+ stiff boot. (Heavy boot)

Hunting on trail or close to it you could go with a more comfortable low top/ mid stiff boot.

I run Kenetrek (Bridger ridge high), just put over 75 miles on them in Co. No complaints. Low top boot/ med soft sole, but I only visit the mountains once ayear.

For the others following this post, Expensive socks will make cheap shoes 10x better than $400 boots with cheap socks.
BassMaster13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2020, 02:57 PM   #27
Trevor73402
Ten Point

I will agree also about the sock comments. Good socks make a huge difference. I use the Darn Tough and Farm to Feet. After learning what good socks are and how much better they are, I can’t imagine wearing a pair of plain cotton socks in my hunting boots.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:01 PM   #28
Fargus
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMaster13 View Post
Mountains is a lose term. Are you going to be hunting steep/ rocky nasty stuff or rolling foot hills/grassland. If you hunting rockslides and shale you might need a 8"+ stiff boot. (Heavy boot)

Hunting on trail or close to it you could go with a more comfortable low top/ mid stiff boot.

I run Kenetrek (Bridger ridge high), just put over 75 miles on them in Co. No complaints. Low top boot/ med soft sole, but I only visit the mountains once ayear.

For the others following this post, Expensive socks will make cheap shoes 10x better than $400 boots with cheap socks.
Never heard of rolling hills and grasslands referred to as mountains, unless you come across a meadow up high. Definitely rock slides, steep sidehills, and yes nasty shale. Not hunting sheep though. These boots will see some miles chasing elk and mule deer.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:11 PM   #29
BassMaster13
Four Point

Hunt In: SETX, WTX

Quote:
Never heard of rolling hills and grasslands referred to as mountains, unless you come across a meadow up high. Definitely rock slides, steep sidehills, and yes nasty shale. Not hunting sheep though. These boots will see some miles chasing elk and mule deer.
That's fair, alot of people say mountains and it's just a big hill .

I would head over to Rokslide, or other mountain hunting forums and search there. Your just getting opinions from flatland knuckleheads like myself that don't have enough experience to give real opinions.

Like mentioned I would find an REI or online store with free returns order 3 or 4 pairs and find the best boot that fits your foot.
BassMaster13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2020, 03:20 PM   #30
Trevor73402
Ten Point

GoHunt and Black Ovis both have a large (Quality) boot selection and good return policies. Don’t forget to look at Scarpa. Their Kinesis Pro GTX is a very popular boot. The Lowa Tibets are also very widely popular among hunters.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:35 PM   #31
coker737
Ten Point

Hunt In: My KB Ranch. Rocksprings, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeno View Post
Irish setter
These are good
coker737 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2020, 03:36 PM   #32
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.

Quote:
If your foot is on the narrower side look at the ones I mentioned. A synthetic mountaineering boot is a great upgrade over leather in my opinion. You will give up some life but the weight is really nice
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2020, 03:39 PM   #33
ballgame
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

absolutely love my Kenetrek Desert Guide's used these on my elk hunt in Wyoming. They were amazing. These are shorter than the Mountain Extreme's which is nice if you have fat calves.
ballgame is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2020, 03:48 PM   #34
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Hunt In: N.TX & W.TX

Quote:
GoHunt and Black Ovis both have a large (Quality) boot selection and good return policies. Donít forget to look at Scarpa. Their Kinesis Pro GTX is a very popular boot. The Lowa Tibets are also very widely popular among hunters.
Got my Danner Pronghorns from Black Ovis online for a killer deal! Little over half off for the newest model. Definitely check them out.
Fmjag64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2020, 03:52 PM   #35
glen1978
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame View Post
absolutely love my Kenetrek Desert Guide's used these on my elk hunt in Wyoming. They were amazing. These are shorter than the Mountain Extreme's which is nice if you have fat calves.
Are these waterproof at all? They look like a good all around boot for everyday.....work and play. Whats your opinion on them? My Mountain Guides Extremes are a little much for that.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:54 PM   #36
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

One other note. Mountain boots feel a little weird on flat ground if you have never worn a pair. But in the mountains and thru rough rocky terrain they are amazing.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top