Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-12-2021, 06:24 PM   #51
Keith
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLongball View Post
What would be a go-to minnow-replacement lure for a farm pond that is overrun with crappie? We usually fish my mom's place with minnows but she told me that the local bait shop went out of business.
I need to get 80-100 out of there.
I've got a small pond behind my house, maybe 1/2 acre in size. I rigged up my new Livescope on a John boat a couple of days ago and looked around the pond. There are definitely some fish in there, and the pond is 9' deep. I need to put some structure in it and try fishing it again. The only time we tried to fish it was the when we moved in almost 3 years ago. I caught one crappie, with the black stripe along the spine.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2021, 06:59 PM   #52
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
Oh I goggles ol Chris now I know

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
No need for a snowflake special on dateline

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2021, 07:49 PM   #53
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Quote:
They come over here spreading hate. They're jealous of how organized we are in the crappie thread.

See ya next weekend, or maybe the weekend after that... or maybe August
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2021, 08:32 PM   #54
OldRiverRat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

Quote:
Saltwater: Very corrosive
Freshwater: It's not!

Saltwater: Can give you a virus that will kill you
Freshwater: No such thing

Saltwater: All the fish have big FN teeth
Freshwater: Small at best

Saltwater: You feel really nasty at the end of the day
Freshwater: Like a fresh spring day

Saltwater: When you Wade fish you have to shuffle your feet are you could get stabbed with a fish
Freshwater: This doesn't apply to freshwater

I hope this helps change your mind

I love this. I grew up on trinity bay/Galveston bay. Fished the surf as often as I could (still my very favorite), walked a million miles flounder gigging, spent countless hours on a shrimp boat but we have had a place on the lake for many years now and I just donít have the same enthusiasm for salt as I did when I was younger mostly because of all the reasons you listed. I love my lazy days on the pontoon jugging or trolling, when it gets too hot just drop anchor and jump in and drink some beer.

I kinda equate salt water fishing to bow hunting and fresh water to rifle hunting. When I just want to really relax I hit the lake or grab a rifle
When I have that urge to grind and Iím on a mission I hit the salt or grab a bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
OldRiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2021, 08:35 PM   #55
OldRiverRat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

Quote:
Oh and yall have crabs

And lice!

OldRiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2021, 08:47 PM   #56
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I've got a small pond behind my house, maybe 1/2 acre in size. I rigged up my new Livescope on a John boat a couple of days ago and looked around the pond. There are definitely some fish in there, and the pond is 9' deep. I need to put some structure in it and try fishing it again. The only time we tried to fish it was the when we moved in almost 3 years ago. I caught one crappie, with the black stripe along the spine.

I've caught a bunch of those over the years. I've never caught any of big size. Most were under legal or barley legal, maybe 11' at the most. I've always known them as "Mowhawks". Was told they are a hybrid back in the '80s. But don't know if that's true or not.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2021, 09:05 PM   #57
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRiverRat View Post

I kinda equate salt water fishing to bow hunting and fresh water to rifle hunting. When I just want to really relax I hit the lake or grab a rifle
When I have that urge to grind and Iím on a mission I hit the salt or grab a bow.

This is reasonable
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2021, 09:10 PM   #58
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: nowhere close to home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
I've caught a bunch of those over the years. I've never caught any of big size. Most were under legal or barley legal, maybe 11' at the most. I've always known them as "Mowhawks". Was told they are a hybrid back in the '80s. But don't know if that's true or not.

All the big fish in Table rock we caught were hybrids. Had one just shy of 2 pounds. Most are small like Conroe crappie though!
Slew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2021, 09:31 PM   #59
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRiverRat View Post
I love this. I grew up on trinity bay/Galveston bay. Fished the surf as often as I could (still my very favorite), walked a million miles flounder gigging, spent countless hours on a shrimp boat but we have had a place on the lake for many years now and I just donít have the same enthusiasm for salt as I did when I was younger mostly because of all the reasons you listed. I love my lazy days on the pontoon jugging or trolling, when it gets too hot just drop anchor and jump in and drink some beer.

Me too basically grew up in Bolivar . Worked on a shrimp boat one summer. Back when you cut the crabs out of the net no market for them. Oh and let's not forget the Gypsies with there 2 mile net's

Snowflake Killa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2021, 09:42 PM   #60
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

Although this isn't as tempting as some recent pics! Here is tonight's dinner. Crappie cakes and parmasean crusted crappie in the air fryer. Only complaint is I didn't have any leftovers!

Last edited by TeamAmerica; 01-12-2021 at 09:51 PM.
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 04:32 AM   #61
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAmerica View Post
Although this isn't as tempting as some recent pics! Here is tonight's dinner. Crappie cakes and parmasean crusted crappie in the air fryer. Only complaint is I didn't have any leftovers!
I need to try that looks great

Old 01-13-2021, 05:23 AM   #62
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
I need to try that looks great

Me to. Wonder when he'll invite us over?

Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 07:07 AM   #63
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Me to. Wonder when he'll invite us over?

Well of course he would. If not I'm going to tell his mom

Old 01-13-2021, 07:17 AM   #64
TexasLongball
Ten Point

Hunt In: New Ulm and Pearsall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post

That looks great! Gotta admit that this pond has never had a fish finder in it. I'd love to see the bottom and compare it to what I've "felt" over the years.

Quote:
OK I definitely need that crappie cake recipe.
TexasLongball is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 08:13 AM   #65
Katch66
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Post the recipe and cooking time on the parmesan air fryer recipe if you don't mind.
Katch66 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 08:17 AM   #66
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
What would be a go-to minnow-replacement lure for a farm pond that is overrun with crappie? We usually fish my mom's place with minnows but she told me that the local bait shop went out of business.
I need to get 80-100 out of there.
For the past couple of years we have just been using goldfish from Petco since there are no minnow places around us. .15/piece = 80crappie....$12
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:05 AM   #67
Tbar
Ten Point

We pulled 150#'s of crappie out of my pond last year. The biologist I use said I should have taken another 100#'s.

https://ibb.co/H49ZwdS
Tbar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:18 AM   #68
Txsurveyor2014
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma and Angelina County

We are going to try Fork again on Saturday. This is our second trip and the first one wasnt productive. My 9yo daughter wants to catch some fish! Hopefully, I can figure out where they are hiding this time.
Txsurveyor2014 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 01:49 PM   #69
TexasLongball
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbar View Post
We pulled 150#'s of crappie out of my pond last year. The biologist I use said I should have taken another 100#'s.

https://ibb.co/H49ZwdS
That's a good looking fishing hole right there. How many surface acres is it?
Old 01-13-2021, 04:37 PM   #70
Slew
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txsurveyor2014 View Post
We are going to try Fork again on Saturday. This is our second trip and the first one wasnt productive. My 9yo daughter wants to catch some fish! Hopefully, I can figure out where they are hiding this time.
I havenít been on Fork in a while but if I was going Sunday and had Livescope I would fish timber in the main river channel in 50-60í of water fishing 20-40í down. If I didnít I would be dragging minnows on the bottom off SRA. Little Caney or the coffer dam
Old 01-14-2021, 09:49 AM   #71
E.TX.BOWHUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas Public Lands

The 2" Bobby Garlands are my choice for crappie. To get 100 out of a pond should not take long at all. At the catch rate in my pond of 10/hour/person less than a day. Now how deep is your pond and do you have brush piles and or trees laydowns or standing? Mine are on the deeper end on standing timber right now but my pond is only 1.5 acres.

On the subject of fresh vs. salt I have been greeted by girls with much less on than above when night fishing Conroe. Since me and my fishing buddy are happily married men, we just smiled and kept on fishing. It is my 32nd anniversary today too.
E.TX.BOWHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 10:44 AM   #72
Man
Pope & Young

I thought my 3.2lb crappie was a gooden....but I told my coworker from Louisiana and he said that isn't big enough to shake a stick at. Why is it we don't get them upwards of 5lbs here in Texas like they do in other states?
Old 01-14-2021, 10:50 AM   #73
3under3
Four Point

Anyone know anything about the Humminbird Mega Live that is supposed to compete with Livescope? All I could find was that it didn't need a black box and would work with some of the existing graphs.
3under3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 11:08 AM   #74
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3under3 View Post
Anyone know anything about the Humminbird Mega Live that is supposed to compete with Livescope? All I could find was that it didn't need a black box and would work with some of the existing graphs.
It doesn't compare

Old 01-14-2021, 12:07 PM   #75
Tbar
Ten Point

Quote:
That's a good looking fishing hole right there. How many surface acres is it?
~5 acres
Tbar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 12:11 PM   #76
3under3
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3under3 View Post
To clarify this is not the Humminbird 360. The Mega Live is scheduled to be released in March. Hoping that some of the tournament guys have seen or used this and it really does compete with Livescope. Would save all of us with Humminbirds up front a bunch of money.

https://www.russellmarineproducts.co...103041-hum.htm
3under3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 02:51 PM   #77
Slew
Pope & Young

This is probably about the longest Iíve been without fishing! Itís been 3 weeks I think? Tough out there today! Couple over 2 witty big fish of 2.44 but not near enough!! Feels good to be back on the water though. Work tomorrow and fish a couple days and repeat!!
Old 01-14-2021, 04:47 PM   #78
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hope the winds die down on LOP for Saturday! Go get em slew!
Old 01-14-2021, 05:50 PM   #79
Slew
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
I thought my 3.2lb crappie was a gooden....but I told my coworker from Louisiana and he said that isn't big enough to shake a stick at. Why is it we don't get them upwards of 5lbs here in Texas like they do in other states?
Most the people I meet that catch 3 pounders all the time donít have a scale. I would imagine the 5 pound folks do too. Hell the world record was 5 something I think caught out a pond in Tennessee 2 years ago. 3.2 is a stud! Thereís old *** men that have crappiecfished their whole lives gonna go to their grave not catching one that big!
Old 01-14-2021, 07:24 PM   #80
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

My truck engine gave up over the Christmas holidays, with 278k on a 350ic that's nver been rebuilt. So, I haven't been out to do anything outdoors. My little car ain't big enough to put my game cart in to deer hunt public land on foot. And it certainly ain't big enough to pull my boat.

I did hire an engine builder over the holidays, to build an LS 5.3 to replace that old wore out 5.7. I'm not sure the old truck is going to know how to act once it has 125-150 more HP than the rated 210 it came with, from a basically stock and built to factory spec 5.3 with mild cam.

I've been looking for a temp replacement truck in the mean time so I can still get out till I get the old white truck back on the road. I may have found one. But it's still going to be 2 more weeks before I can get out in it~! (pulling my hair out ). And since I didn't get to deer hunt this year because of the way life went, I'm going to bust ducks the last two weekends of the season so I can have something else besides chicken, turkey and fish all year. I had to give up store bought pork and beef. But wild game is OK in limited portions. Saltwater fish is very limited, no more shell fish of any kind. But most freshwater are good, Thank you Lord Father!

Come Feb though, I'll be on the fish!~! (I hope )
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 08:01 PM   #81
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slew View Post
Most the people I meet that catch 3 pounders all the time donít have a scale. I would imagine the 5 pound folks do too. Hell the world record was 5 something I think caught out a pond in Tennessee 2 years ago. 3.2 is a stud! Thereís old *** men that have crappiecfished their whole lives gonna go to their grave not catching one that big!
It might be me

Old 01-14-2021, 08:03 PM   #82
twright
Eight Point

Hunt In: Cotulla, TX

Quote:
Saltwater: Very corrosive
Freshwater: It's not!

Saltwater: Can give you a virus that will kill you
Freshwater: No such thing

Saltwater: All the fish have big FN teeth
Freshwater: Small at best

Saltwater: You feel really nasty at the end of the day
Freshwater: Like a fresh spring day

Saltwater: When you Wade fish you have to shuffle your feet are you could get stabbed with a fish
Freshwater: This doesn't apply to freshwater

I hope this helps change your mind

Freshwater=high fence
Saltwater=low fence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twright is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 09:42 PM   #83
Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slew View Post
Thanks..gonna keep trying my urban crappie hole to hit 3 again.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:44 PM   #84
Rotag
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I plan to try my hand at Crappies this year my trolling motor and HDS units cost more than my boat just need to figure out how to get started.

Rotag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2021, 02:56 PM   #85
Slew
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
Thanks..gonna keep trying my urban crappie hole to hit 3 again.
Guy I know in DFW catches some big ones out of the neighborhood ponds. Good luck!!
Old 01-16-2021, 08:23 PM   #86
Slew
Pope & Young

I still feel like Iím bouncing up and down! What a brutal day. We only caught 12 fish today but managed 13.74 on 7 and that was good enough for 3rd place. Got 2 good fish tangled in trees that got off today and had 2 others just come off. Rescheduled Fridays trip to wind and cancelled tomorrowís. 2021 isnít starting out too well on that side! Iíve cancelled or rescheduled every trip so far because of wind!
Old 01-17-2021, 07:37 AM   #87
TexasLongball
Ten Point

We managed a few today. Not any big ones but I doubt weíll ever see any big ones again. Long story.

Old 01-17-2021, 08:43 AM   #88
Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
We managed a few today. Not any big ones but I doubt weíll ever see any big ones again. Long story.

Those all black crappie?
Old 01-17-2021, 11:20 AM   #89
TexasLongball
Ten Point

Yes sir. My mom and her husband only take out like 10 a year so theyíre likely overpopulated. But either want to talk about how to manage the pond effectively. In their minds, they want numbers so the kids can catch lots of fish. Oh well.

Old 01-17-2021, 12:17 PM   #90
Keith
Administrator

Quote:
Yes sir. My mom and her husband only take out like 10 a year so theyíre likely overpopulated. But either want to talk about how to manage the pond effectively. In their minds, they want numbers so the kids can catch lots of fish. Oh well.

That's almost like antler restrictions, for fish.

Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2021, 01:25 PM   #91
mallardman02
Six Point

Pretty slow this morning.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
mallardman02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2021, 04:59 PM   #92
Rotag
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:

Couple of bass will reduce the crappie fry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rotag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2021, 05:30 PM   #93
Slew
Pope & Young

Me n little man snuck out for a couple hours! Caught a few. Too windy to fish where I wanted. He did lose a monster though. He was pretty pouty about it but we laughed it off and had some Sonic pretzel twists and cinnasnacks and he paid!!
Old 01-17-2021, 05:39 PM   #94
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Sausage fest is over back on the lake

Old 01-17-2021, 06:03 PM   #95
TexasLongball
Ten Point

We managed another 10. Bite was slooooooow today.

Old 01-17-2021, 06:06 PM   #96
TexasLongball
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotag View Post
Couple of bass will reduce the crappie fry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually I think the opposite is true. They have too many crappie that are eating everything. They have bass that 4-5 years ago were great size. Now, youíre lucky to catch anything but 12-14Ē ones.
They need to take out 100# or more each year and they take out about 10 fish. Itís only when I come that any numbers are taken out. And I havenít made a dent in them.

Old 01-17-2021, 07:47 PM   #97
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Congrats on the finish Slew! Tough conditions from what I saw. Sounds like we are due for a few calm days!
Old 01-19-2021, 02:46 PM   #98
Slew
Pope & Young

Quote:
Congrats on the finish Slew! Tough conditions from what I saw. Sounds like we are due for a few calm days!
It was brutal!! Glad my Sunday trip was good with cancelling!

TBH 2o21 trip is up so you slackers reserve a room!!
Old 01-20-2021, 09:46 AM   #99
duckmanep
Pope & Young

do we have a jig maker/seller on TBH?
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 02:10 PM   #100
Slew
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanep View Post
do we have a jig maker/seller on TBH?
Hogslayer78's son might do it! I can't keep up with my own demand much less make any for folks!