Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-05-2021, 05:37 PM   #51
JES
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin nicholls View Post
The past two weekends heading back to Sargent I've passed a parade of oyster boats going west in the evening. I love oysters but they've really changed that end of the bay.
Which bay are you talking about, East or West? I think East Matagorda is still closed, the state closed it for two years, not sure if itís been a full two years yet.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2021, 05:51 PM   #52
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
Very few fish to report this afternoon... got a late start due to a faulty battery on the boat.

Wife and I threw corkys, top water, and down south few small trout today.

The joys of boat ownership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2021, 06:06 PM   #53
kevin nicholls
Ten Point

Hunt In: Who knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES View Post
Which bay are you talking about, East or West? I think East Matagorda is still closed, the state closed it for two years, not sure if itís been a full two years yet.
The oyster boats were in the ICW going west. East Matagorda is closed to oyster boats. I'm not sure where they were going, but two weekends in a row I've past them in the ICW in the evening.
kevin nicholls is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2021, 06:11 PM   #54
LivinADream
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Winnie, Piqua KS

I watched the thread last year but not sure that I ever posted in it. Anyhow, I fish the upper coast pretty hard, Sabine and east galv. Hope to be more active in the thread this year. Made a little haul this morning before work. 7 min limit, 17"-19" and 1 short flounder. Fish and boat cleaned by 9. Also may have a trip to port Mansfield mid April.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
LivinADream is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2021, 08:18 PM   #55
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinADream View Post
I watched the thread last year but not sure that I ever posted in it. Anyhow, I fish the upper coast pretty hard, Sabine and east galv. Hope to be more active in the thread this year. Made a little haul this morning before work. 7 min limit, 17"-19" and 1 short flounder. Fish and boat cleaned by 9. Also may have a trip to port Mansfield mid April.

Nice haul Chase! Stick around, itís a pretty good group of guys that are active in this thread.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2021, 08:21 PM   #56
kevin nicholls
Ten Point

Quote:

Job well done. I have a friend who would die of thirst before he'd drink that Gatorade.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:26 PM   #57
LivinADream
Pope & Young

Quote:
Job well done. I have a friend who would die of thirst before he'd drink that Gatorade.
That's funny, I don't care for fish slimeorade either, but I'm about 2' from the water, I just rinse it off when I need a swig. My boat isn't big enough for a separate drink cooler.

Old 01-05-2021, 09:03 PM   #58
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County & Anywhere A Duck Flies!

Congrats! Great trip!
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2021, 09:06 PM   #59
GARY
Administrator

Hunt In: Lavaca, Alberta and where ever Aironeout takes me!

Two great trips in the books already this year. First with Cory who is home from
OK state for break and pops. Second with Pops and my cousins boy.

Both in Lavaca Bay system. Looking forward to hitting Baffin this spring and summer as well as chasing crappie on Coleto with my BFF Kelly

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GARY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2021, 09:08 PM   #60
GARY
Administrator

Hunt In: Lavaca, Alberta and where ever Aironeout takes me!

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GARY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2021, 09:14 PM   #61
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County & Anywhere A Duck Flies!

Congrats Gary!
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2021, 09:22 PM   #62
gigem95
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grimes,Montgomery,Waller County

Quote:

gigem95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2021, 09:24 PM   #63
gigem95
Ten Point

Quote:
The past two weekends heading back to Sargent I've passed a parade of oyster boats going west in the evening. I love oysters but they've really changed that end of the bay.

So are you boating to West Matty from Sargent?

Old 01-05-2021, 09:31 PM   #64
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

^^^ getting it started right!!
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2021, 09:55 PM   #65
kevin nicholls
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem95 View Post
So are you boating to West Matty from Sargent?

I was fishing East Matty from Boggy to Chinquapin on the north shore. The oyster boats are going west on the ICW. I don't know where they were going.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:58 PM   #66
gigem95
Ten Point

Quote:
I was fishing East Matty from Boggy to Chinquapin on the north shore. The oyster boats are going west on the ICW. I don't know where they were going.

10-4

Old 01-07-2021, 09:45 AM   #67
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hays County
Default 2021 Salty H20 Fishing Thread!

I braved the cool weather to look for fish here in Rockport, and it was worth the trip! Now that we're living down here, I'm having a blast (literally, fishing among the duck hunters) learning tactics for the different seasons.

Enjoy the video!

In case you were wondering, I sautťd them in butter and bacon grease with a bit of cajun seasoning. Delicious!

Last edited by goofiefoot; 01-07-2021 at 09:48 AM.
goofiefoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2021, 02:03 PM   #68
tmurray
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb County

Favorite Corky recommendations please? I've never been a cold weather fisherman but might be going with a buddy this Saturday out of Galveston. I will for sure have DSL in multiple colors, strike pro hunchbacks and assorted topwaters in full and jr.

Seems I always here others using the corky's this time of year. Do I need to go buy a couple or am I good?

Oh, and I have a couple Vudu Shrimp already too Mexico
tmurray is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2021, 02:11 PM   #69
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurray View Post
Favorite Corky recommendations please? I've never been a cold weather fisherman but might be going with a buddy this Saturday out of Galveston. I will for sure have DSL in multiple colors, strike pro hunchbacks and assorted topwaters in full and jr.

Seems I always here others using the corky's this time of year. Do I need to go buy a couple or am I good?

Well dang you left out THE best Winter fishing lure there is off your list...

TroutSupport "Grasswalker"... Like them over Corky's for sure... but that's just me...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2021, 02:16 PM   #70
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Webb Counties

Corky fishing is too slow for me. Lol. I use the same thing I use all the time, just slow it down some. Hogie super minnow on a 1/16oz head and just slow crank it in.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2021, 02:45 PM   #71
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Me to Philip,,, I ain't no Corky fisherman either!! Those TS lures sure work good for me rigged with a wide gap worm hook and neutral buoyancy... You can fish the whole water column with 'em 'til you find where they're at... I know you ain't no redfish guy, but walkin' the dog in the grass with them is pretty exciting when you run one in front of a big ol rootin' red... That pink one, they just cannot leave it alone!
Old 01-07-2021, 02:49 PM   #72
kevin nicholls
Ten Point

A Fatboy or a Devil are the easiest to use, you can work them faster, the original will spin if you try to go to fast. I throw Corky's all year and don't slow down very much. The Trout Support lure is another I throw a lot, you can do a lot with it. I'm getting some pretty good trout right now on a Mirrolure Catch 5. The common thing with what we've all said is a bigger lure is better this time of year.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM   #73
kevin nicholls
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Me to Philip,,, I ain't no Corky fisherman either!! Those TS lures sure work good for me rigged with a wide gap worm hook and neutral buoyancy... You can fish the whole water column with 'em 'til you find where they're at... I know you ain't no redfish guy, but walkin' the dog in the grass with them is pretty exciting when you run one in front of a big ol rootin' red... That pink one, they just cannot leave it alone!
I like the silver glitter with the black tail. I caught and released a 6lb'er acouple weeks ago on one. When I hooked the fish 4 or 5 finger mullet came out of the water, it was chasing them and bit me instead. They're great around grass and shell like you said.
Old 01-07-2021, 04:04 PM   #74
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurray View Post

Haha!! This Vudu will get the job done!!!

I'll have to agree with most, those Corky's aren't for me but I really don't fish that cold water anyway.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2021, 04:46 PM   #75
LivinADream
Pope & Young

I fish Corky's a lot, fatboys almost exclusively. The trout support lure is bad medicine as well, just a little different hookset, more like a bass hookset. I don't fish west galv but chicken on a chain or anything similar is almost always a good color on the east side. West Bay normally has a little better color so I'd go that direction or a little lighter in color. Anything you fish, fish it a little slower than normal. And as mentioned above, bigger is better in cold water. I'd leave the tops at home this weekend.

Old 01-07-2021, 07:52 PM   #76
gigem95
Ten Point

Quote:
I like the silver glitter with the black tail. I caught and released a 6lb'er acouple weeks ago on one. When I hooked the fish 4 or 5 finger mullet came out of the water, it was chasing them and bit me instead. They're great around grass and shell like you said.

Birthday suit?

Old 01-07-2021, 08:00 PM   #77
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Birthday suit?

You couldn't find a trout if he swam in your net....

Old 01-07-2021, 08:09 PM   #78
Capt Glenn
Ten Point

It's like everything else. You can keep it simple or complicate the hell out of it.

As far as corkys get whatever looks good to you. My suggestion for colors is the same for corkys as any other lure. Buy a couple light colored ones, a couple dark colored ones and a couple natural looking ones. For me, pearl chart back and pearl black back have done lots and lots of catching over the years. Pearl and pink is good. Gold sides/black back and orange belly is another good one. Solid white is good. Silver sides black back is good. Really it all comes down to what you like. The fish genuinely don't care. If it looks right and they are eating and they can see it they will eat it.

I like fat boys, devils and the soft dines. Just pick a couple. If you are not sure about them just pick up a couple and play around with them.

Other than that soft plastic paddletails and jerk baits on jig heads have been catching tons of fish lately and will all winter. You can catch fish on them all year long. Change up your head weights to get where you need it to be. I throw alot of 1/4-3/8 oz in the winter. Try different stuff till you get 'em to eat. Be patient and go to work.
Capt Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2021, 08:13 PM   #79
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
Corky fishing is too slow for me. Lol. I use the same thing I use all the time, just slow it down some. Hogie super minnow on a 1/16oz head and just slow crank it in.
Nothing like a Corky bite when that line thumps all the way up your arm. And there not any slower than a ⅙Oz head.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2021, 08:22 PM   #80
Capt Glenn
Ten Point

Quote:
The common thing with what we've all said is a bigger lure is better this time of year.
I disagree. They will eat small baits all winter just fine. If all you throw is big baits in the winter what are you going to catch all your fish on? Big baits. Big baits can be good but so can small baits.

You can catch fish all year long on standard sized 3-5" soft plastics. And big fish too. It's funny to me, winter rolls around and what do you hear? Big baits, shallow water, soft mud, fish slow. Well that is just one way. You can also catch 'em over shell in deep water on small plastics. In the rivers on small plastics. Over hard sand stacked like cord wood in knee deep guts on anything that hits the water. The size of bait isn't nearly as important as getting it in their face and having it there when they decide to eat. They are gonna be where the bait is and they are gonna eat when they get dang well good and ready. Don't get tunnel vision on where they are supposed to be in the winter and how you are supposed to catch them in the winter. You'll miss out on some great opportunities. Take it for what it is worth.
Capt Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2021, 08:34 PM   #81
kevin nicholls
Ten Point

Quote:
Birthday suit?

Yes, that's it. It's just what I have confidence in.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:37 PM   #82
kevin nicholls
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
I disagree. They will eat small baits all winter just fine. If all you throw is big baits in the winter what are you going to catch all your fish on? Big baits. Big baits can be good but so can small baits.

You can catch fish all year long on standard sized 3-5" soft plastics. And big fish too. It's funny to me, winter rolls around and what do you hear? Big baits, shallow water, soft mud, fish slow. Well that is just one way. You can also catch 'em over shell in deep water on small plastics. In the rivers on small plastics. Over hard sand stacked like cord wood in knee deep guts on anything that hits the water. The size of bait isn't nearly as important as getting it in their face and having it there when they decide to eat. They are gonna be where the bait is and they are gonna eat when they get dang well good and ready. Don't get tunnel vision on where they are supposed to be in the winter and how you are supposed to catch them in the winter. You'll miss out on some great opportunities. Take it for what it is worth.
You are very correct. I was just answering his Corky question. A lot of people are unsure on how or when to throw them. I wish I could catch every fish on a top water or a Corky, truth is I catch most on paddle tails. And most of them are small paddle tails.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:45 PM   #83
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Birthday suit?

For cold weather, I like any of the top three if the water is pretty clear. Greener water, darker cloudy days go with the darker ones.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:07 PM   #84
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Ducks View Post

Shhhhhh

Send them winter guys to shallow mud flats to drudge thru the mud while I drift deep water from the boat

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2021, 09:15 PM   #85
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Quote:
just a little different hookset, more like a bass hookset.

Can you expand on this? When I set the hook on a bass Iím teeing one off from the long box, in other words Iím swinging for the fences.

Sierracharlie out....
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2021, 09:17 PM   #86
LivinADream
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
Can you expand on this? When I set the hook on a bass Iím teeing one off from the long box, in other words Iím swinging for the fences.

Sierracharlie out....
You got it.

Not quit that hard but harder than with a soft plastic on a jig head, or twitch bait with trebles. With the TSL, the hook is not exposed. You have to pull it thru the plastic (same as a Texas rigged worm bass fishing).

Old 01-07-2021, 10:14 PM   #87
gigem95
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico View Post
You couldn't find a trout if he swam in your net....

Old 01-08-2021, 06:16 AM   #88
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

^^^^^

If I aint perch jerkin, my hook set is trying to put that fish in my lap from 50 yards no matter what kinda water he swims in
Old 01-08-2021, 07:22 AM   #89
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Quote:
You got it.

Not quit that hard but harder than with a soft plastic on a jig head, or twitch bait with trebles. With the TSL, the hook is not exposed. You have to pull it thru the plastic (same as a Texas rigged worm bass fishing).

Makes complete sense

Sierracharlie out....
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2021, 07:24 AM   #90
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
Nothing like a Corky bite when that line thumps all the way up your arm. And there not any slower than a ⅙Oz head.

A'int no Crappy ever ate no Corky... dang East Texas Hunters...

Old 01-08-2021, 09:59 AM   #91
LivinADream
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
Makes complete sense

Sierracharlie out....
Did I mention that they're deadly? Me and a buddy hammered them this morning after work.

Old 01-08-2021, 11:40 AM   #92
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Most of my trout lures now consist of my bass and crappie lures. Was really able to cut down on all my tackle.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2021, 11:52 AM   #93
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:

Wellllll

This happened a time or 2

Old 01-08-2021, 11:53 AM   #94
gigem95
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Wellllll

This happened a time or 2

Weird looking trout.

Old 01-08-2021, 11:55 AM   #95
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
Weird looking trout.

fore sure dumber than one
Old 01-08-2021, 11:56 AM   #96
buck_wild
Ten Point

Quote:
Ok boys it's about time to get our new thread kicked off! I'm boatless until March, but I'll be ready for the late spring bite!

Let's be honest, you don't get in the water when it's cold !
buck_wild is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2021, 12:04 PM   #97
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck_wild View Post
Let's be honest, you don't get in the water when it's cold !
Not unless I'm on Fire.... ain't happening!

Old 01-08-2021, 12:11 PM   #98
buck_wild
Ten Point

Quote:
Not unless I'm on Fire.... ain't happening!

I still have my hookup with Custom Corky's if we need some Feb big girl fishing !
buck_wild is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2021, 01:42 PM   #99
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Quote:

One nubbin at a time.

Snowflake Killa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2021, 01:43 PM   #100
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Weird looking trout.