Ruger American

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruger American

Well, found a deal that I couldn't resist today. Had to dig into my emergency gun slush fund, dug deep, but picked up a new Ruger American Ranch in 300Blk (takes AR mags) and an American Predator in 308. My grandson has been upset since I sold my other 300BLK, so I am going to get this set up for him this year, and the 308 will be a backup and loaner to some of my cheap relatives that depend on me for their guns.

I've owned the Ruger 300Blk before and it was accurate enough, but does anybody have the Predator in 308, and if so, how does it shoot. Will be shooting mostly handloads out of it.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Ruger American

I had a predator in 6.5 Creed for a while that I left under the seat of my pickup as a beater, backup rifle. Crazy accurate for a $400 rifle. Stock, trigger, and action are what you expect for a cheap rifle, but they just flatout shoot.

Here’s a group with Factory Hornady 143eldx at 200 yards.

Last edited by Raider4044; 10-18-2021, 04:16 PM.

Comment

I had my firearms stolen a few years back and found out the hard way that I didn't have everything insured as I thought I did (I would advise everyone to look into this). I bought two Ruger American Predator combos from Academy, one serial number apart, hoping that they would shoot the same ammo. One for me and one for my bride. They do and they seem to hold a decent pattern out to 100 yards. I am definitely no sniper, but I would not hesitate to take a neck or head shot out to 100 yards. Not sure if that helps, but anyway.....
      I will say that I order a Timney trigger for mine literally 7 minutes ago. The factory triggers did not come with the set screw for adjustment and the pull is ridiculous. The wife has no problem, but I hate it. I agree with Raider, shooting is accurate, but the rest of the quality leaves something to be desired. You get what you pay for. It certainly doesn't have the feel that my Browning A-bolt had. Someone is certainly enjoying it now.
      Last edited by Txmusfan; 10-18-2021, 03:55 PM.

Comment

This is picture of the first 3 groups shot with my sons Predator 243 checking to see which ammo it liked. I have since started reloading for it and it shoots rreeaalll good now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a Predator in 6.5 that a couple of friends have nicknamed the lazer beam. Deer, Axis, Red Stag, Pigs all have fallen prey.

Now I'm on the hunt for a .223.

Comment

Make sure the stock is not touching the barrel. I had to take a Dremel to mine to do some clearancing. THere are youtube videos showing it, also check out cutting down the spring on the trigger to give a lighter pull.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
              Make sure the stock is not touching the barrel. I had to take a Dremel to mine to do some clearancing. THere are youtube videos showing it, also check out cutting down the spring on the trigger to give a lighter pull.
              THIS!

I also bondo'd the inside of the stock on the forgrip to make it more rigid as it had a lot of flex! for the price, its a great gun to tinker with and cut your gunsmithing teeth on!

Comment

Originally posted by Abu_dude View Post
                THIS!

I also bondo'd the inside of the stock on the forgrip to make it more rigid as it had a lot of flex! for the price, its a great gun to tinker with and cut your gunsmithing teeth on!
                Not going to be doing any gunsmith work on my end. I can barely pound a nail in a board.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

My son shoots a 5.56 American Ranch Compact - I had to sand my barrel channel down to get it free floated - now it shoots 70 grain barnes dead nutz. Love that little gun.

Comment

Working...
                  X