Laramie WY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laramie WY

Headed out Friday afternoon with my brother and a buddy to start the drive to Laramie for our pronghorn hunt. We will stop in Denver to pick up Dad from the airport and should make it into Laramie around 1 or 2 on Saturday. Days are crawling by but we'll be there soon enough. Weather looks to be nice, sunny with lows around freezing and highs in the mid 50's.

Putting the cart before the horse obviously but we are scheduled to be up there for a week. Should we be done with days to spare, would it be worth bringing shotguns for upland birds? I wouldn't even know where to start but I'm sure we would enjoy it. None of us have been fly fishing either so we kicked that idea around as well although that might be more difficult since we don't have any equipment past waders for that. I don't think the rainbows will care for the touts we toss at these coastal trout down here.

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
    Headed out Friday afternoon with my brother and a buddy to start the drive to Laramie for our pronghorn hunt. We will stop in Denver to pick up Dad from the airport and should make it into Laramie around 1 or 2 on Saturday. Days are crawling by but we'll be there soon enough. Weather looks to be nice, sunny with lows around freezing and highs in the mid 50's.

Putting the cart before the horse obviously but we are scheduled to be up there for a week. Should we be done with days to spare, would it be worth bringing shotguns for upland birds? I wouldn't even know where to start but I'm sure we would enjoy it. None of us have been fly fishing either so we kicked that idea around as well although that might be more difficult since we don't have any equipment past waders for that. I don't think the rainbows will care for the touts we toss at these coastal trout down here.
    That is tough to say. I went couple of years ago and took all week trying to get it done on Public. On the fishing, we didnt see many options where we were but we also got the full winter effect with lots of snow 3 days in so that changed things as well. But i had a great time out there. Cant wait to go back. Lots of walking!

Comment

Meeboer lake SW of Laramie is stacked with nice rainbows. I used bait. Upper North crow reservoir was good too on the Medicine Bow. Plenty of fish. I fished about 5 other lakes around Laramie and didn’t have much luck. Good luck!

Comment

Wyoming has a home football game that day, 1:30 start , town will be hopping and lots of traffic for us.
        After the game starts everything gets way less busy and less traffic, good time to eat or walk around downtown. Our friends own the Library downtown for everyday pub type food and good beer.
        After the game, lots of traffic and very busy restaurants and bars. Neat college game day atmosphere though for small town.

Water is low in rivers and streams so knee high boots would work or fishing from the bank. Area lakes can have good trout fishing from the shore also, spinners mainly.

Upland birds are not really hunted around Laramie , but some dusky grouse in the mountains can be very hit or miss.
        Upland birds are more east of us in Laramie.

It will be quite cool in the mornings and very nice afternoons, 50's.

We have several breweries in town, makes for a interesting afternoon if you fill out early.

Comment

We're flying up to Laramie Thursday, first pronghorn hunt. Looking forward to it.

Good luck to you guys, shoot straight!

Comment

Back in 2011 my dad, brother and I drove up to Cheyenne to hunt pronghorns. We tagged out on the second day so my brother and I drove to Curt Gowdy State Park, which is between Cheyenne and Laramie, to fish. We caught a bunch of rainbows and browns. Cleaned them, put them on ice, and drove them back to Texas the next day.

Good luck with your hunt!

Comment

FYI
              We're sitting at 22 degrees right now with about 20 mph winds and higher gusts. Snowing steadily with about 4-5 inches on the ground already.
              I-80 is closed.
              Snow should end tonight or in the morning, should be nice by end of the week but the snow may still be around.
              2 tracks roads may be muddy and tough to travel.
              Bring a warm coat or jacket.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                FYI
                We're sitting at 22 degrees right now with about 20 mph winds and higher gusts. Snowing steadily with about 4-5 inches on the ground already.
                I-80 is closed.
                Snow should end tonight or in the morning, should be nice by end of the week but the snow may still be around.
                2 tracks roads may be muddy and tough to travel.
                Bring a warm coat or jacket.
                When we moved up here to Washington, I made a trip up though Wyoming in December. I was pulling a enclosed uhaul trailer. Just outside of Laramie, on the mountain, it was gusting 50-60 mph with blowing snow. The roads turned to ice and found myself looking at the back of my trailer out my window. I had to pull over at the first gas station once I got off the mountain so I could puke. I’ll never make that drive in winter again. Lol

Comment

Are you hunting with an outfitter? If not and you happen to have a 38 tag shoot me a pm and I can probably help you out a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by tradslam View Post
                    Are you hunting with an outfitter? If not and you happen to have a 38 tag shoot me a pm and I can probably help you out a bit.
                    Thanks but we'll be the other direction out of town down in 44.

Comment

Good Luck! Did you ever finish you're house? Haven't seen an update on DIY

Comment

I forgot about Curt Gowdy park, good fishing in Granite Springs and Crystal Res.

Do you have access in 44 ?

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                          I forgot about Curt Gowdy park, good fishing in Granite Springs and Crystal Res.

Do you have access in 44 ?
                          Noted thanks for the tips.

No not on private. We did sign up for the access permits to the Monolith and Spiegelberg HMA's. 2 of our hunters signed up for each HMA since each hunter can only sign up for one of the areas.

Comment

pm sent Gclyde28

Comment

Good luck! Looking forward to hearing/seeing about your trip. I've looked into that area before as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X