No announcement yet.

Eco Boost or 5.0?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had 3 of the 5.0's in F150's and all were great. No issues.

Comment

My '20 F150 now has 31k on it and have zero complaints. Pulls better than the v8's I've had and I love the torque. Doubt I'll go back to a v8 though they are good engines as well.

Comment

I had a 2013 and a 2015 Eco boost, in 2017 I went with the 5.0 because when pulling a trailer, (dog trailer @2800 lbs.) the six banger was screaming all the time. It did pull it fine and the mileage ended up being very similar. I had no issues with any of the trucks and still have the 2015 and 2017 over 300K miles. If you do not add anything over a beer (small) cooler to the Eco boost they will get excellent mileage, any weight at all and it falls dramatically.

Comment

friend of mine that works at Ford told me no more v8's in the f150 ... assuming 2023 ?

3 of my friends have the 3.5 and love it! my work truck was a 5.0 and ran great .. my personal truck is an old 2009 5.4L but at the price they are wanting right now, i'll be keeping mine .. i get 18.1 to 18.3 mpg highway calculated on fillup .. i cruize control the speed limit most of the time.

I think the biggest asset to the newer trucks is the transmission ... better power and mileage..

if you like sound the 5.0 with good exhaust is just a symphony .. the eco sounds like rap .. feel free to add a C.

Comment

Update to my earlier responses on this thread... My 2018 5.0 with the 10 speed is still going strong, but did put a new tranny in last week... the A10 crapped out at 156K... was still going but skipping gears and shifting hard... $7K for a new tranny and the 5.0 is still going strong... I'd buy another one tomorrow if I needed a new truck... There have been some upgrades to the tranny since I got mine (delivered to me in Oct. '17). I expect to be good to go for at least another 150K miles... Tranny has a 3 year unlimited mileage parts/labor warranty from Ford... Not worried about the engine...

Comment

I had a 2016 ram 1500 with 150k miles no issues but sold it and got a new 19 f150 with the 2.7 pulled great but its horrible in the rain or snow! Also if you do any mods forget about gas mileage. I put a 4 inch with 35’s i got 14.5 highway same set up in my ram i got 16.5 highway. My buddy has a 19 platinum with a leveling kit and bigger tires, he pulled my trailer and sidexside to missouri this past weekend. Worse gas mileage ive ever seen averaging about 9 mpg!

Comment

How is the Eco on pulling a big boat like 6000lbs?

Comment

I have a 2018 3.5 Eco Lariat 4x4 with max tow package (3.55 ratio and 36 gallon tank) with 54k miles. So far, so good. I've tracked ever fill up since day one on the Fuelly app. Tow a 21' center console about once per month approx 150 miles round trip. The balance of my driving is a mix of city and highway. My fuel mileage is not bad but nowhere near what others are reporting. Maybe it is the 4x4 or my driving style that results in lower mileage. Best mileage was a trip from Houston to Gulf Shores with the family and all of our beach stuff; 21.7mpg. Towing the boat I'm at 9-10mpg at 70-75 mph. Tows the boat fine. Life time average is 15.9mpg. The truck is certainly smooth, comfortable and fun in sport mode.

I calibrated the trucks lie-o-meter based on my hand calcs, with the adjustment the computer mileage is typically within 0.1mpg of my Fuelly calcs. Just for grins, I've reset the trip meter to get an idea of my mpg when traveling east on IH-10 which is about as straight and flat as it gets. On cruise control at 70mph the trip meters shows 22mph; at 75mpg it showed 18mpg. I can get 25mpg if I cruise at 55mph but you can't do that for very long on IH-10. Overall it has been a reliable truck and I would buy it again.

Comment

I wouldn’t buy another eco boost. I didn’t have very good luck with mine. I’ll stick to a v8

Comment

Im on my second 3.5. Latest one is a 2018 and I get 21-22 mpg…. I drive mostly highway. Just changed the water pump at 125k miles. Still pretty happy with it. I’d buy it again

Comment

Ecoboost

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

2016 3.5 ecoboost for me, I put 90,000 miles on it and just traded it in, 2 coil packs went bad, fuel pump went bad, hvac fan broke. Decent mpg on highway, towing mpg sucked, truck was quick. I drive a ram now.

Comment

The only reason for turbos is the engine was not big enough to begin with.

Comment

But I know several who really like them!

Comment

I’ve got a 2019 3.5 fx4 and I love it. Bought it in April of this year with 12,000 miles and now have 38,000. All stock I get 20 on the highway and around 11 pulling my 6,000 lbs tool trailer. My 6.7 Powerstroke definitely pulls it better but not much different in fuel cost with diesel being higher. My main hand has the same truck in a 5.0 and we get the same mileage pulling the trailer but we both feel mine has more power when you need it passing or merging. I’d buy again. That being said, I love Tundras and will be very interested in how the new model does, if it’s comparable to the ecoboost I’ll probably go that route next time.

Comment

Working...
                                X