Health insurance question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Health insurance question....

I know this has been discussed in retiring threads before, but I was wondering if those that have been where I am at could advise.
    I am 63, wife is 55. I have good insurance through my employer now.
    I want to retire when I turn 65. I am thinking Medicare for me with a supplement for the 20 percent Medicare won't cover. Any idea what good insurance for the wife would cost a month?? Good, like 3000 deductible with 6000 total annual out of pocket.. random numbers pulled out of.... the air. In my "when can I retire" calculations, I have been allowing for 1500 monthly for the both of us. Is this a realistic guess, or way off the mark?

My wife is 2 years out and pays $1200.00 with about your numbers. The last year with both of us on BC-BS it was $2800.00 for both of us per month....

Comment

Check out Samaritans Purse or Medi Share

Comment

Your medicare premium will depend on your income from the year before but generally should be around $140 per month. A good supplement for you should be around $100 unless you go with a Medicare Advantage plan and those can cost zero in some cases. So for your medical cost at age 65 it should not be bad. All Medicare supplement plans are regulated by the state so they all have the same benefits depending on which plan you select. So it is just a matter of finding the least expensive plan - use a licensed agent to help you as it cost no more to use an agent as going direct.

For her until age 65 go online and check with companies like Blue Cross, United, etc. to look for the best policy for her - cost will range all over the place so just research and find the best plan for her
        Last edited by Huntingfool; 10-11-2021, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X