Not knowing what to expect.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not knowing what to expect.

Saturday morning with be the 15th season on this deer lease and will be the first morning in I’m not sure how many year that I will hunt and have no idea what to expect as far as deer that come in. I normally put cameras out mid summer and check them labor so I have a general idea of the deer quality for the season. This summer when feeding I didn’t put cameras out. So come Saturday morning I will not know if I have nothing but does and fawns or the next Crockett county record book buck. There is a bit of nervous anticipation on my end.

When was the last time you hunted blind for all intents and purposes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
    Saturday morning with be the 15th season on this deer lease and will be the first morning in I’m not sure how many year that I will hunt and have no idea what to expect as far as deer that come in. I normally put cameras out mid summer and check them labor so I have a general idea of the deer quality for the season. This summer when feeding I didn’t put cameras out. So come Saturday morning I will not know if I have nothing but does and fawns or the next Crockett county record book buck. There is a bit of nervous anticipation on my end.

When was the last time you hunted blind for all intents and purposes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Most of the time. I put a camera on my wife's stand and that's about it. I hunt public land and like surprises.

Comment

Every year now. I got rid of my cameras a couple years ago. I was hunting where they were instead of where they are now. I'm not knocking em, I just like it better without them.

Comment

Late start getting set this year do to work so no pre season pics. I could care less for them but my kids get excited so I keep putting them out.
        On the benefits of cameras, I had to work almost all of last season. We got to hunt the last week. My 17yo had a buck come in that just looked to young for our management rules. After he showed me the summer pics of the buck it was a go. He ended up arrowing the deer and teeth showed 7+yo. Post rut he looked like a 3yo. Main frame 8 with split 2's that went 141".

Comment

Every time.
          I haven’t run cameras for about 3 or 4 years now. They never really did that much for me except build up expectations only to be let down later. More times than not, if there was a good buck on camera that got my hopes up, he disappeared come rut. Either taken by a neighbor or change his patterns while chasing does.
          I’m basically just a meat hunter so I just go hunt. I don’t pick a stand due to the activity but due to the wind direction.

Comment

I've been using them again the last few years because my son really likes the anticipation, and it gives me a better idea of which ones I should let him shoot, or hold off a bit, plus what may be left for mom and I to fight over. I went several years without them, and I enjoyed that too. I see so many deer that the camera doesn't seem to, that I don't put a ton of stock in them now.

Comment

I use them, mostly to see if pigs are coming into the feeders. Other than that I like to be surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I did this last season on our family place but usually always run cameras there. I always hunt blind on the 1100 acres that I hunt for just 4 days every season in Throckmorton County. It kind of makes it exciting and takes it back to the days when I was young and didn't ever know what might pop out.

Comment

I did not start using cameras till about 10 years ago. Most of the hunting I have done in the past six years has been public hunting and I have not used cameras on any of those hunts.
                  I do have cameras at the house, that the past two years, I have used the cameras a good bit. But this year I have expected the bucks to all be very small and nine legal. I put cameras out a couple weeks ago, the only interesting pictures I got were of a bobcat and then some fox pictures. The three or four bucks I got on camera, are all young and small. Most will never be legal shooters.
                  Three years ago there were multiple legal deer on out place. But by the second week of the rifle season, most had been shot. The few legal deer that survived that season, were shot last season. The only bucks left over from last season are a group of about seven bucks that all have bad genetics. They will all probably make it to be 8 points, but none of them will ever make it over 11" wide.

Three years ago about 50% of the bucks had these genetics. Now all that are left are those bucks with the very narrow racks. They look like cross breeds between whitetails and roe deer.

Because of this I did not put out any cards in the cameras this summer. But finally my wife talked me into doing so. Sure enough, I got about 3000 pictures of doe, and small bucks.

I don't plan on putting the cards back in the cameras, this season.

There are some big older bucks, that will cruise through the area, a few times through out the season. But by mid November I won't see them anymore. They will start cruising through in September, then October, then maybe once or twice in November, then they won't show up till next year.
                  They seem to show up about every two to three weeks. The only way I will get a shot at one of those deer is to be on the stand when they cruise through. Half the time they show up between midnight and 2:00 AM. So the chances of getting a shot at one of those deer is very slim.
                  So I have very little reason to put a camera out. Scrolling through 4000 pictures every week of does and then tiny bucks gets old.

Comment

No cameras in the last 2-3 years. Got tired of them not working for whatever reason and just said to heck with it. Plus with 3 different blinds to hunt from I drove myself crazy trying to decide which one to go to.

Comment

I always had cameras out but only really checked them every other time or so I would go to hunt. I have the does patterned pretty well so I figured the bucks want to come check out the girls..

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                        Every time.
                        I haven’t run cameras for about 3 or 4 years now. They never really did that much for me except build up expectations only to be let down later. More times than not, if there was a good buck on camera that got my hopes up, he disappeared come rut. Either taken by a neighbor or change his patterns while chasing does.
                        I’m basically just a meat hunter so I just go hunt. I don’t pick a stand due to the activity but due to the wind direction.
                        That, and wherever the forces of your “primal urges” tell you to go, I bet?

Comment

Start using spypoint cameras and you will be hunting blind as well.....junk

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                            That, and wherever the forces of your “primal urges” tell you to go, I bet?
                            You’re so cute. Lol.

Comment

Working...
                            X