Slug Gun Scope ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slug Gun Scope ???

I have me a Savage 220 coming for my whitetail & nilgai hunt that I was drawn for. I have a few rifle scopes laying around. Would I be ok with using these or do I need to get a scope made for a shotgun. I have a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 and a Prostaff 4.5-14x40 that I could use. I doubt I will need that much magnification, but it will be one less thing to buy. TIA

You should be just fine with the 3-9. Just make sure you have enough eye relief. Good luck on your hunt. The biggest difference I’ve seen between them is eye relief and parallax. I’ve hunted in enough states that required shotguns. Bushnell made a decent slug scope too.

Comment

Leupold 2x7 shotgun scope

Comment

Your Nikon’s should be just fine be careful on the bench sighting in slug guns pack a little more recoil than most people are comfortable with. In the field they ain’t bad

Comment

I put a Cabelas , I think it’s Pine Ridge, slug scope on my Ultra Slug Hunter.

For now, your Nikon should work well. Just be sure and use the best rings you can get.

Comment

My 220 has a Redfield Revolution 3-9X40 on it. I love these scopes - better than average eye relief (about 4") and made by Leupold. But they don't wear the Leupold name so these can be had at bargain prices, used. And they carry the Leupold forever warranty.

One reason I don't own any Nikon scopes is that they tend to be on the lower side of eye relief - closer to 3". Having the scope connect with your eye brow under recoil isn't pleasant.

Comment

This is exactly what you want. Sight in one inch high at 50 yds with Remington AccuTips and you are done. I have two on different slug guns. A Remington and a Savage 220. Works well and is made for the slug hunter.

Comment

Except that Nikon doesn't want their name associated with guns & hunting any more. So they are discontinuing the production of scopes for guns.

They don't want our business.

So why give it to them?

I really like my Nikon binoculars (not going to throw them away), but they'll never get another dime out of me on something new.

Comment

Originally posted by KX500 View Post
                  Except that Nikon doesn't want their name associated with guns & hunting any more. So they are discontinuing the production of scopes for guns.

They don't want our business.

So why give it to them?

I really like my Nikon binoculars (not going to throw them away), but they'll never get another dime out of me on something new.
                  Ok.

Comment

I'd make you a deal on this one if you still need one, had it one my SBE 3 Slug:

Comment

Carey, those Prostaff scopes will do just fine. Prostaff 3-9x40 was standard equipment on the H&R Ultra Slug Hunter package back when H&R was in business. And yes you may want one with a higher power on it for longer shots. I've got a 2-7x32 Nikon Prostaff on one Mossy 835 12ga. And a early 1990s 4-12x40 Bushnell Trophy (original) on my H&R Ultra Slug Hunter 12ga. Guess which one reaches out to 220 yards ? The 835 does well out to 150 yards with the 2-7x32. But that is because I haven't put anything on it with higher magnification, yet . My "Go to" is the H&R with the 4-12X40. I've neck shot several doe with it so far. And very thankful that I have a 4-12X on it.

Comment

Nikon Slughunter 3-9. Had one for several years. Good choice on the Savage !

Comment

Working...
                        X