Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any of y'all live near the new Bois d'Arc Lake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2Lazy2P View Post
    Look in California, probably more your style.
    Actually about to put in an offer on some of it... not lakefront, but near enough for me.

Comment

*deletes original paragraph* it truly sucks for those who lost family property to it, and those who will lose family property in the future to other lakes/railways/etc...I'll leave it at that

OP, I haven't heard anything on the plans for marinas/ramps/lake access. I will say that the lake is here, it isn't going away, so from this point forward I look forward to seeing the progress of the fishery side of it

Comment

I also saw a show that TPWD had been stocking soil conservation lakes in the watershed with florida strain large mouths for the last couple of years so there will be some decent size fish when the lake fills. It may have actually been on lone star law. Saw it somewhere anyway. It may be the next big fish lake in Texas

Comment

This is from the NTMWD website in the FAQs section for the new reservoir:

"NTMWD will build three public boat ramps as well as picnic areas and restrooms. One boat ramp will be located near FM 897 on the south shore of the lake. Another will be located on the lake’s north shore where it intersects with FM 1396 and the other on the south shore of FM 1396 where the road and the lake intersect."

Not sure when the last time this was updated or if there are plans for a full-service marina or not.

Comment

Govt took it from the Indians, now they're taking it from the "white man"

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
              I also saw a show that TPWD had been stocking soil conservation lakes in the watershed with florida strain large mouths for the last couple of years so there will be some decent size fish when the lake fills. It may have actually been on lone star law. Saw it somewhere anyway. It may be the next big fish lake in Texas
              I remember when Cooper Lake was going to be the next big fishing lake, and then in the early 2000’s they pretty much pumped it dry.

Comment

Did they clean out the lake bed or leave trees standing?

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
                  It was on Lonestar Law. I didn't know it was in what would become this lake, but I thought that was a pretty interesting concept on ways to prestock a lake. I think they may have upgraded the stock in private ponds in the watershed as well.

Comment

Did some work on a customer’s raw land very close to where the normal pool level will be. He purchased the land specifically to build a house on. His plan was to wait a few years to build. Officials told him if he waited to build he’d be denied a permit to do so. But if he started within a year or less, it was permissible. That was last year.

Comment

Originally posted by tx_basser View Post
                      Funny how all of those Land Owners want 40K/acre now. Spent the last 3-4 weeks driving around out there to look at buying some of this "My way of Life" property for upcoming retirement. Saw a few people that had nice places, but by and large it was methbilly property.
                      They were paying 3-5K/ac last I heard for land that was going to be under water. My ex BIL did a land swap on the Ralph Hall Lake being built and turned less than 20 ac into 80 acres with a new gravel road and river/lake access. It's not all bad if you know how to swap.

Comment

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
                        It was on Lonestar Law. I didn't know it was in what would become this lake, but I thought that was a pretty interesting concept on ways to prestock a lake. I think they may have upgraded the stock in private ponds in the watershed as well.

They use brood ponds in most of these builds. I remember reading about this when Joe Pool and Ray Robert’s were impounded back in the mid 80’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
                          I read they are trying to follow a Lake Fork model closely for the fishing and stocking but havent heard much else. Assuming they left a lot of timber uncut?
                          Tons of uncut timber, I went across the bridge today bidding on 2 jobs. It should be a great fishery until the first time they suck it dry during a drought.

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
                            Did they clean out the lake bed or leave trees standing?
                            About 40% of it will have standing timber. All on one end opposite the dam

Comment

There are two lakes going in, as others have posted.

Bois D'arc is the one north east of Bonham and is currently filling up. That one is about 8 miles from me.

Lake Ralph Hall is the other lake that is going in on the North Sulfur River near Ladonia. That one is really close to me - under a mile - and I think it will be visible from the high spot on my property, which will be cool. One of my creeks will feed into the lake.

When I purchased my property back in 2010, the government was buying land in the flood zone for 2x what I paid. Im not saying it doesn't suck for those flooding out, I'm sure it does for some, but they weren't paying "pennies on the dollar."

With all that said, it certainly seems to be helping small businesses and chains along 121 / Bonham area that I have seen. Used to seem like everything was closing down and now there are new places everywhere.

Comment

forgive my ignorance on the subject.... but why can't they just build a pipeline from wright patman to cooper and pump all the water they want? seems like Sulphur keeps WP over full pool most of the time. Or a pipe water from the Red River? seems like that would be much cheaper than buying land & all the construction required to build a lake.

Comment

Working...
                                X