Honey Bees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honey Bees

My wife has hummingbird feeders out and the bees have drove us inside. She pulled the ones in front, but has 6-7 outback. As soon as we walk out they are on us. I have not been able to find any of the swarms that we have seen in the past. I've been stung on the hand and my fat belly, she is allergic. I was hoping to locate the hive/swarm and have a bee dude come out and salvage them, but at this point I'm considering a harsher solution. Any suggestions?

If you have hummingbird feeders out and full of sugar water, the bees will find it, and drink until its gone. How about removing the feeders for a while and seeing what happens? Sorry you got stung, usually they shouldn't be that aggressive. Have you found swarms before on your property?

Comment

Maybe providing a water source farther from the house for the bees. I wonder if a thermocell or citronella would work on calm days.

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
        If you have hummingbird feeders out and full of sugar water, the bees will find it, and drink until its gone. How about removing the feeders for a while and seeing what happens? Sorry you got stung, usually they shouldn't be that aggressive. Have you found swarms before on your property?
        My papaw was a bee keeper and I helped him when I was a teenager, 60 years ago and 100 pounds lighter. Hhe would find swarms here at the ranch and add to his bee crews. More than likely we are going to take down the remaining feeders and see what happens. Hopefully, they'll move on.
        Last edited by crxshooter; 05-06-2021, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BassMaster13 View Post
          Maybe providing a water source farther from the house for the bees. I wonder if a thermocell or citronella would work on calm days.
          The wind has been crazy here this year. I have a bow stand thermocell that I might try to see if it helps.

Comment

Get bee proof feeders ,and be sure to not spill any of the sugar water on the outside of it, wash it real good on the outside with hot water,

Comment

A colony is close if theyre on you quickly. Could they be a close by neighbors? Bait them with sugar water, stand back and stalk them to see where they go.

I am a beekeeper. However I have killed bees in my house soffet with mixture of carbaryl (Sevin) and malathion along with vacuuming several pounds of bees into a shop vac.

I have had several bees colonies move into an ash tree and oak tree cavities around my house.

I filled my hummingbird feeder with 4-1 sugar water and the bees arent on the feeder. I do feed my bees 1-1 sugar water syrup every day and theyre on me quickly when I refresh the communal syrup feeder. So...that makes me think youve a colony fairly close.

Comment

Originally posted by Beeman View Post
                Get bee proof feeders ,and be sure to not spill any of the sugar water on the outside of it, wash it real good on the outside with hot water,
                She uses the so called bee proof, changes them out every other day. If there's sugar water on them it's from the hummers being slobs. It's funny, it's like the hummers and bees have a truce. "Yall take that one and we'll take this one". Our house is shaded on the east and south by big oaks and cedar elm. I keep thinking there's a swarm in one of the trees, but dang if I can see it.

Comment

Working...
                X