Masters in Engineering Management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have this degree? How would you compare it to an MBA? I’m a mechanical engineer and I have been in management since 2010. I’m now looking at going back to school for a masters, and this has popped up on the radar. I’d like some real world feedback.

Thanks,
    Skooter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you an engineering manager and do you want to stay in that type of role or move into PM? If staying EM then that would be the better route. If PM then go MBA.

Comment

My current role is as an engineering manager. Long term, is the MBA better for operations management? I’ve dabbled in project management, and not really what I’m looking for. I wouldn’t mind staying in engineering management, but looking for the most versatile in the long run.

Thanks,
      Skooter

Comment

Got mine a number of years ago through Kansas State University. 100% online which was nice. The MEM is similar to MBA but is more factory-focused. Took a high-level Engg Econ class, Production Process, Inventory Control, etc. One of my favorite electives was Occupational Safety & Health.

Comment

Freightquote is your friend. I shipped 250# of cactus to Washington state for a great price. Cheapest I found, by far.

Comment

I’d say go the MBA route. It will transition to other fields better and when you get to the upper levels of the company it isn’t about engineering anymore...it’s about business. I went straight to MBA the summer after I graduated with my BSME.

Comment

Just go buy a degree from overseas like our school supt did. Now Dr supt bought on line to get a pay raise just totally bs.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                I’d say go the MBA route. It will transition to other fields better and when you get to the upper levels of the company it isn’t about engineering anymore...it’s about business. I went straight to MBA the summer after I graduated with my BSME.

Yep, Designers and Draftsman do all the real work anyway.

Comment

Unless you’re doing this for a specific raise I wouldn’t say it’s worth it. You can learn everything you’ll get from business/management school in books. If you want the piece of paper for your wall or it means you can get a big raise then it may be worth it. I’d say that’s probably only going to be valued in the large corporate world.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post

Agree, go the MBA route.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                      Unless you’re doing this for a specific raise I wouldn’t say it’s worth it. You can learn everything you’ll get from business/management school in books. If you want the piece of paper for your wall or it means you can get a big raise then it may be worth it. [B][B]I’d say that’s probably only going to be valued in the large corporate world.
                      I disagree, I work in a large company and the really successful people have drive and influence, not an MBA. It’s all about your ability to delver and influence stakeholders.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I agree with the drive and delivery. That’s what has been opening doors for the last 20 years. I was just curious as I’ve always thought about going back and my boss is pushing me. It does help that we have an educational assistance program.

Thanks,
                        Skooter

Comment

Really depends on several factors.

1. Is there an opportunity it would provide that you currently do not qualify for?
                          2. Are you intending to apply it at your current employer, or would you need to change jobs to use it?
                          3. Do you know what you would use it for, or are you willing to work a different type of job just to use it?

Here’s a couple of examples that put a master’s in perspective for me. First the presidents and Vice Presidents at my company do not all have master’s degrees. Second, I know one person who got his MBA and is still working in the warehouse. Maybe that’s his choice, but something seems off with that. I know another young woman at work that has her MBA, and although she is at a manager level position fairly early in her career, all she does is analyze fuel prices. The one person that has had the result that I would want is a young woman who has a degree in political science and got her master’s in advanced economics. She now reports directly to a VP of investor relations and works closely with the CEO and general counsel on high level corporate initiatives.

So, part of getting a master’s degree is wanting the education. If you only pursue it for an expected career result, you may be disappointed. At one point I wanted a law degree to go with my engineering degree. After seeing the work that corporate attorneys actually do, I am glad I bombed the LSAT, LOL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                            I disagree, I work in a large company and the really successful people have drive and influence, not an MBA. It’s all about your ability to delver and influence stakeholders.

I’m confused. You say get an MBA but then the really successful people don’t have one.
                            I’ve been in senior leadership and hiring for medium sized engineering companies for 10 years and have a large network in the civil business in Texas. Thee as ya not to say I know anything, just giving my experience.
                            Last edited by meltingfeather; 03-09-2021, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skooter View Post
                              Thanks everyone for the feedback. I agree with the drive and delivery. That’s what has been opening doors for the last 20 years. I was just curious as I’ve always thought about going back and my boss is pushing me. It does help that we have an educational assistance program.

Thanks,
                              Skooter

That’s what I was curious about. If they are paying a good portion for you to further your education then you certainly want to take advantage particularly at the grad level cost these days
                              I would also say the MBA would be more business management diversified beyond the BS in engineering.

Comment

Working...
                              X