No announcement yet.

Pex pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just for the record. CPVC is more naturally chemically resistant than most plastics. Its just less thermally stable during processing. It requires thermal stabilizers during processing

Comment

Zero issues in Katy with it.

Comment

I had at least a dozen leaks in my copper water lines under the house. Replaced all the breaks with PEX-b that uses the crimp-ring style fittings. Hope to never have to go through that again!

Comment

Pex in our house. Froze solid in the attic when the power went out, not one leak.

Not the same for the shop, I had just a few lines out in the shop and had a river in my shop. Luckily I walked in the shop shortly after it burst to put away a tool and cut all the water off and fixed it.

Goes to show you which held with same temps outside, PEX vs PVC
          Last edited by TXHUNT3R; 02-24-2021, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
            If you do it your self then get ready for the heart attack when you see how much the fittings cost. Wow!
            The shark bite fittings are expensive. Real plumbers will use rings and a crimper.

Comment

West Houston here and we converted to pex a few years ago during a renovation. No issues last week.

I did speak to a plumber friend last weekend and he told me that pex does stand up better to freezing as compared to PVC. Pex will expand out when frozen and retract when thawed. He did say that too much of that activity would eventually cause it to weaken and cause problems.

In other words, if you have exposed pex in your attic or somewhere else that has potential to freeze, you should still insulate it if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
                Get the fittings from ebay. MUCH cheaper than the big box stores and afaic no difference in quality.
                This is not true. Do some research on this. Both the brass and the plastic have quite a bit of cheap rip offs and they fail much more often than the name brand stuff.

Comment

I’m sure the fact that it’s coupled here compromised the integrity a bit, but I have this same pipe five feet over, pex the whole way down, also froze but did not crack.

Comment

Working...
                  X