Anyone running PTO driven generators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone running PTO driven generators?

I've never had a generator because I simply don't want another thing to maintain. Anyone use one like the HFT pto one? The tractor is always ready so it makes more sense to me and pto gens put out a lot of KW's.

A day without power gets a person thinking.

My neighbor had one when I was in college and it seemed to work well for him. Didn't get used much, so hard to say how it held up long term, but just make sure you have plenty of diesel and don't mind the hours on your tractor just sitting

Comment

Northstar from Northern tool is about same price. I looked in the past but ended up buying a Miller welder/generator.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
        Northstar from Northern tool is about same price. I looked in the past but ended up buying a Miller welder/generator.
        I forget about a weld/gen. Now that I think of it, I think that was why I didn't buy a pto one years ago. A pto mounted one would probably be better for me if it would run the welder. I'm not welding but for myself or neighbors these days.

Etex, Hours are why I bough a tractor. It's needed.
        Last edited by Kossetx; 02-12-2021, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
          I forget about a weld/gen. Now that I think of it, I think that was why I didn't buy a pto one years ago. A pto munted one would probably be better for me if it would run the welder. I'm not welding but for myself or neighbors these days.

Etex, Hours are why I bough a tractor. It's needed.
          The few times I needed backup power, I also needed my tractor for cleaning up driveway, trees and limbs. If you have more that one tractor, I would go PTO route

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
            The few times I needed backup power, I also needed my tractor for cleaning up driveway, trees and limbs. If you have more that one tractor, I would go PTO route
            IMO cleaning up is chainsaw/trailer work. Even then, power can be down for an hour while I push stuff out of the way. True cleanup can wait for reliable power.

Anyone use a pto gen?

Comment

nobody?

Well, while searching if found this.

Urethane Curved Jaw Coupler, FL48/60 and LoveJoy Replacement High Torque Spider Insert Description FL48/60 curved jaw coupler spider Replacement for LoveJoy 48/60 Replacement for Rotex 48 Material Urethane Specifications ID: 2" OD: 4 1/8" Width: 1"

Looks like with the 4.5 gearbox I could run the tractor a lot slower.

Comment

Have thought about it several times but never pulled the trigger. I only have 39hp so couldn't go real big anyway.

Comment

at 1.8 hp per kw you could run a 16kw it looks like. 16kw would run my place easy. I think I'm going to try it. It would give me the ability to run the welder where I need it at the least.

Comment

Seems costly, compared with a generac

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                      Have thought about it several times but never pulled the trigger. I only have 39hp so couldn't go real big anyway.
                      I have thought about one as well for years now, but just never pulled the trigger on one. I’m wondering how they hold up if not used for months (or years) at a time.

Comment

1700.00 for 16.5 kw with a gearbox expensive? A 15kw portable generac is 2800.

Again, for me it just makes sense. My tractor is always in running condition and there is always plenty of diesel on hand. There is one less engine to maintain and once hooked up I don't have to move a generator around. I'll probably build a cart that the welder and generator will be mounted on.

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
                          I have thought about one as well for years now, but just never pulled the trigger on one. I’m wondering how they hold up if not used for months (or years) at a time.
                          That you don't want to do. It'll have to be hooked up and run periodically. That why I'll add the welder to it. That way I'll have to run it although I only weld 4-6 times a year. It'll probably have to be mud dauber proofed too.

Comment

That what I’m thinking also. So for me, I’m not sure I would use it enough to justify one - but would come in handy in an emergency.

Comment

Baffin Bay WSC ran their water system on a pto generator on a tractor during Hurricane Dolly. It was under a roof but I don't remember any walls.

Comment

Working...
                              X