East Texas Hunters: alternatives to hand thrown corn for mature bucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Texas Hunters: alternatives to hand thrown corn for mature bucks

Currently I'm putting out 2 different 250pd piles of corn and the deer mow through them in a week, including some solid mature bucks. Past experience tells me that a spin cast feeder will send the mature bucks somewhere else. I can't keep throwing out 500pds a week so wanted to see if anyone has had any luck keeping mature bucks hitting corn using a different method here in East Texas. I'm sitting on a few options but wanted to see what y'all have had luck with it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

In

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

About 10 years ago I made a "pig pipe" out of a 5 gallon plastic bucket. Attached a swivel and chain to the bottom of the bucket, cut some 5/8" holes in the sides, screwed the lid on and staked it down. I've seen more mature bucks kicking that bucket than on all my feeders combined.

My Brother-in-law always had good luck drawing in mature bucks when he hung 35 gallon timed feeders way up in trees out of their sight.
      Last edited by Native Texan; 07-08-2020, 11:11 PM.

Comment

A ghost feeder is an option. Lifted high up a tree. There’s a thread or two that discusses them in detail.

Comment

Originally posted by Preacher Man View Post
          A ghost feeder is an option. Lifted high up a tree. There’s a thread or two that discusses them in detail.
          This may be the alternative.

Comment

Lbs.

Comment

Winch up 55 gal barrel feeder with a protein spout. I run four year round. Big mature bucks stay on them. I keep the bottom lip of the spout at 40". I do not run anything timed in East Tx. Besides, timed is not feeding. That is nothing more than baiting. Free choice is feeding.

Comment

This year I’m going to try directional feeders placed in the wood line throwing out to where I want it. My philosophy is that they recognize the traditional image of a tripod feeder. Another option is to fix a hanging feeder 15-20’ high. I have done that with small bucket feeders and large limbs and had bucks visit them regularly that would avoid a traditional tripod.

Comment

In

Comment

I’m going to try running big&j blocks. I can’t keep my hand corn out more than a day or 2 because the hogs mow it down. Hopefully they’ll stay off the blocks just a little better.

Comment

Only answer I have is shoot half of those deer and the corn will last longer.lol

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
                        I’m going to try running big&j blocks. I can’t keep my hand corn out more than a day or 2 because the hogs mow it down. Hopefully they’ll stay off the blocks just a little better.
                        Pigs will eat the big and J as well. We had to get all seasons block feeders to keep them in. They last longer that way but the deer still eat one a week at one of my sets

The don't last but 3 days on the lake property but I get 20 deer per feeding when the feeder throws

Comment

He is feeding in pens

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                            This year I’m going to try directional feeders placed in the wood line throwing out to where I want it. My philosophy is that they recognize the traditional image of a tripod feeder. Another option is to fix a hanging feeder 15-20’ high. I have done that with small bucket feeders and large limbs and had bucks visit them regularly that would avoid a traditional tripod.

I am leaning this direction as well.. Can hide the feeder in the brush even just let it throw out where you want them standing to shoot

Comment

Just feed them less if you can’t afford it. You’re not going to find a cheaper alternative to deer corn.

Rice bran works well for me, but again if you can’t afford corn then it’s not an option.

Comment

Working...
                              X