Brush Blind for Trad Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many people make brush blinds to hunt from? Especially if you hunt that way exclusively. I want to buy a Big Mike for next year but with baby #2 on the way, it may not be in the cards.
    For those that hunt this way, do you have some suggestions? Thanks

I really like the brush blind. Though it seems one of the hardest to get to full draw for me. That may be due to the fact I let them get extra close before I make a decision. For example this past week I was in Sonora and found a toppled cedar, with a little help of some mesquite weaving I had a nice nest, and ended up with a pair of 8's at less then 10 yards. I even like to do this with my son who is 7. As long as he has a good view he mostly sits still enough. If you do this with traditional gear, make sure you have ample head space for your limbs, and consider back cover extremely important. The one I am going to hunt from this weekend is in a sweet gum thicket. pull the branches together enough that leaf litter can scatter and hang in the open spaces, but not like a wall. Use some old tall grasses to quieten down everything and I try not to set in a fresh made blind for a few days at least. I feel like it lets my scent diminish before I come in to hunt it.

Comment

In the hill country, brush blinds are so easy to make with the cedars we have. Just get inside where there is several close together and prune to fit.

Comment

I got a 350 you can have . It 2 holes in the roof thing duct tape patch it

Comment

Yep, what Bob said. The hill country is easy as there is a lot of resources to build them.

I love hunting out of brush blinds. I carry hand pruners or a small pair of loppers with me whenever I am out hunting.

I will say this. $20 Cattle panels are an awesome tool to use to build some really good ground blinds that are more permanent. You just bend it where you want it and start throwing brush on it/weaving it in.

Comment

Thanks live2hunt. pm sent

Comment

I like brush blinds but this year I used a 12 ft piece of net bull wire about 3 ft tall. I placed it in front of a thicket and brushed it in with broomweeds. Light weight and portable, plan on using it on some public land next year.

Comment

I love brush blinds. I built a sweet one at my buddy's place had deer in at 5 yards them realized I forgot to scrape away all the dead leaves from the floor... Ugh. Shifted slightly and blew all the deer out from the noise.. Lesson learned!

Comment

I have hunted extensively out of brush blinds with my compound. (I have just very recently moved to traditional).

A lot of good suggestions already made... I will also say to make sure to use "cover" with a depth of field. Don't just stack brush in a 10ft radius around you, also brush up key areas much further away and closer in all directions.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                    In the hill country, brush blinds are so easy to make with the cedars we have. Just get inside where there is several close together and prune to fit.
                    Im not a trad hunter so I apologize if I am over reaching, but I agree with Draco. Cedar brush blinds are where its at. Here is a picture of me sitting in one, about halfway through 'brushing it'. The window you cans see me in (Picture 2) is completely gone, and covered with brush. You can see some brown cedar branches from the year before, but this year we really piled on the cedar, and have two small windows to shoot through.

Picture 1 you can see the group of cedar behind the blind, fully brushed in with small windows. Lots of room on the inside, can find an inside picture though.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Patton; 12-17-2015, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X