Left eye/right handed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Left eye/right handed

I figured out yesterday that my son seems to be left eye dominate, but he is right handed. He seems to shoot ok right handed, but I was wondering does anybody have any experience either way? Should I try and find a left handed bow for him or keep on the way it is going. I have read that Howard Hill was cross eye dominate and shot right handed, so it is possible.

I'm like your son. I have shot right handed, but I eventually switched to left. My son is left handed and right eyed. Just let him do whatever he is comfortable with.

Comment

It is possible to be left eye dominate and shoot right handed. I have a friend who is and wears a patch over his left eye when he hunts. pulls the patch down when an animal comes along.............Shoe

Comment

He's six, so young enough to start over, I am not sure that I want to do some like the patch over the eye.

Comment

It is possible to shoot cross dominate but from personal experience I can tell you it is much easier to switch at an early age. I'm left handed and right eyed and the best thing I ever did was to learn to shoot right handed. I personally think it is an advantage with a bow to hold it with the strong side.

Comment

I'm almost left hand dominate other than shooting guns and bows right handed, everything else is left, but I used to be ambidextrous.

Comment

Sorry, didn't know he was 6. I also know someone the uses a Hindsight. He is left eye dominate and says it is the best thing ever.....Shoe

Comment

Originally posted by Shoe View Post
                Sorry, didn't know he was 6. I also know someone the uses a Hindsight. He is left eye dominate and says it is the best thing ever.....Shoe
                No problem, I did not make that clear. I am going to work with him left handed, and see what happens with that. I will have to find him a bow though.

Comment

I am left handed and right eye dominant. I didn't change anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                    I am left handed and right eye dominant. I didn't change anything.
                    So you shoot left handed?

Comment

I am right handed and left eye dominant and the only thing I have changed is shooting a pistol. I bring it across my body when target shooting so I can aim with my left eye. When shooting my bow I keep both eyes open. And when shooting a rifle I use my right eye, it helps strengthen it.

Comment

I am in the same boat as your son. I switched to shooting left handed when I was about 13. I can still shoot right handed but am way more consistently accurate left handed. With enough practice it becomes very natural feeling.

Comment

Make sure you give him the opportunity to play golf as well. Huge advantage to be right handed and left eye dominant. Who knows, he could be the next great golfer of the world!

Comment

I'm left left but have always shot bow and guns right handed works for me.

Comment

Your son will fair better if he shoots with his dominant eye. If he is six, this should be an easy transition. There are many people who shoot one hand and the other eye but, esp if he is just now learning, it is always better to shoot with your dominant eye.

Bisch

Comment

Working...
                              X